What's new

Found my grandpa's old razors

While going through an old toolbox I came across three straight razors. They are old and dirty. What can I do to clean them up and perhaps use them. I live in the Kansas City area. Are there any good shops around here? The names that I can read are Royal, Damasca Fremont, and Steel K. The holder they were in says Mermod, Jaccard & King Co - Jewelers and Silversmiths St. Louis. It's like a fabric pouch with six little pockets for the razors. Thank you for any pertinent information.

Thanks, I will indeed post some pics. In the meantime do you have suggestions for cleaning the pitting and oxidation, etc. Starting with the least invasive and moving up the scale? I had thought about just water and borax and maybe some vinegar to start and trying Naptha for the stubborn black stuff. Are these old blades solid or plated? I don't want to damage anything and I'm not sure if the handles are plastic or bone. What do you think?

There is a Art Of Shaving in Kansas City. It might have something for cleaning them up, if not at least they have the other thinks you will need if you plan on straight shaving.

Thanks, I will indeed post some pics. In the meantime do you have suggestions for cleaning the pitting and oxidation, etc. Starting with the least invasive and moving up the scale? I had thought about just water and borax and maybe some vinegar to start and trying Naptha for the stubborn black stuff. Are these old blades solid or plated? I don't want to damage anything and I'm not sure if the handles are plastic or bone. What do you think?
Picture would help.
For just cleaning you can try something from an auto store . I use something call blue magic or something like that but that does not do much. Sandpaper on a 500 grit won t likely damage anything except on the blade or scale except etchings. And sanding will tell you what the scales are made off.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Since these are heirlooms, you should consider rescuing a couple of razors from ebay first.

Are you already a straight shaver? If not, I would wait until you are much more familiar with straights before you go very far into cleaning them up or restoring.

A dark gray patina does not need to be removed if there is no rust. Pitting can be left alone if you are careful to prevent rust, but if you want to remove it you are looking at lots of hand sanding with a progression of grits.for deep pitting I usually start with 100 grit. When the pits are nearly nearly gone, I start progressing upward. For mild, shallow pitting, I start with 220 or even 320 grit. I progress up to 2k grit, then polish with 1u, .5u, .25u, and .1u diamond paste. Some guys just go up to 1k grit and thats it. The softer 1k finish doesnt show scratches as bad as a .1u mirror finish. Your razors so do it like you feel it.

Top Bottom