What's new

Found my favorite piece of meat

I’ve been working on this experiment for quite some time.

On a ribeye there are two distinct pieces of meat with two distinct flavors. My favorite piece is the cap. Lots of beefy flavor super tender.

Yum. Too bad you can’t just buy this part.

We have found a locate farm that sells at the farmers market that has great cut of meat and the last few times we have passed on the T-bone in favor of the ribeye. Great on the grill and flavor is delicious.

30FDF272-9782-4AFE-9FC9-ECDFEF245857.jpeg

Mine did not look this good it was tasty. Looks like the official name is spinalis dorsi.

I’m with you, hands down the best part of a ribeye. My oldest son is the only other member of my family who likes steak, but always gives me the cap off of his steak in trade for a piece of the center of mine. I always make it seem like I’m doing him a favor. Some day he will realize he was getting cheated all these years, but until then.......

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I’m with you, hands down the best part of a ribeye. My oldest son is the only other member of my family who likes steak, but always gives me the cap off of his steak in trade for a piece of the center of mine. I always make it seem like I’m doing him a favor. Some day he will realize he was getting cheated all these years, but until then.......
Can I adopt him? :lol:

Well, you could buy the entire ribeye primal from Sam's and carve it up yourself. :p
I've never been a big fan of ribeyes; I just don't like having big chunks of fat inside the steak. I generally prefer strips or t-bones.
I do want to try some of the more specialized butcher cuts like tri-tip, bavette, hanger steak, and so on.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
My wife ate my ribeye. But I managed a photo.

7C7AA98F-DFE0-4A5A-A825-71F9DDE3108C.jpeg

Is the tender part there on the bottom right?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Well, you could buy the entire ribeye primal from Sam's and carve it up yourself. :p
I've never been a big fan of ribeyes; I just don't like having big chunks of fat inside the steak. I generally prefer strips or t-bones.
I do want to try some of the more specialized butcher cuts like tri-tip, bavette, hanger steak, and so on.
Try cooking it more than you normally would. Most steaks I go medium rare, but with ribeye I go medium or just a bit more. It does beautiful things with that fat.

Some enterprising chef
@ChefJohnBoy-ardee
Is going to cook ribeye and serve exclusively 4-6-8 10 oz of the cap on the menu for ridiculous price, and take the center cut and make skewered beef with it.... :yikes:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Spinalis dorsi.

The single best piece of meat on the planet, with the possible exception of a few old girlfriends.

I’ve been working on this experiment for quite some time.

On a ribeye there are two distinct pieces of meat with two distinct flavors. My favorite piece is the cap. Lots of beefy flavor super tender.

Not sure if you have Costco close to you, but they do actually sell packs of rib caps. Basically rolled up like a pinwheel... incredible flavor, very rich of course.

Top Bottom