What's new

Found in wild.. info please?

Excited to finally find some locally !!

5A2C26D1-B7A9-42C8-A608-0D877FD034D9.jpeg

This one feels older than anything I own ..... prolly 4/8 or less

4CAEDCB3-0D4A-47B7-AF42-C7AAC591ABB2.jpeg

This one was about 2.5 inches long. And doesn’t appear to be ground down?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
For the top one, set the bevel and keep going until you have good solid unpitted steel along the entire apex. Run the progression and finish properly and you will have a pretty good razor there. If you want to sand away the rust, do it before honing. You might not be able to get it all due to the apparent depth of the pitting. Won't be a showpiece but it will shave just fine. Be careful not to run the shoulder of that shoulderless razor up onto the hone. If the shank is thicker than the spine or intrudes into the honing plane then it could lift the heel and put excess wear on the toe. Hone this with the heel leading a bit. Use your sharpie. I do love shoulderless razors but they can be deceptive as you don't get the positive feedback of the shoulder hitting the edge of the hone.

The bottom one was probably damaged, and then salvaged into a shorty. Looks okay to me. Hone it and shave with it. Enjoy. Not a bad score, if you got them cheap.

I have one electric cutlery co... pretty little razor... sadly someone tried to restore it and blew the temper before I got it, so I can't comment on how well they hone or shave.

I don't know if that's a salvage slash. The grinding and barbers notch at the toe look like it's a very good cutoff job if so... more likely they just etched it weirdly towards the toe. Possibly a very small manufacturer who damaged it during production and was just like... hell with it, let's make a shorty... but had the tools/skills to fit and finish it properly after?

Thanks for posting image of a whole one!

Is it MAHER and GROSH? Guesstimate of age?

I thought it was cut down also but the notch and regrind grind job look professional and the patina is there is similar to rest of blade... and I don’t think the scales would have fit that much blade... I’ll get photo closed.
I didn’t buy them yet.... prolly won’t unless I can bargain them down?
I like the idea that mfg made it a shorty, due to damage after blade graphics were applied.
It is fun speculating about it....

Seriously doubt the factory did a shorty. It doesn’t look refined enough . And considering the hone wear, age etc. the patina would naturally look like it does. I’d like to see a pic of the scales.
I have a couple Electrics. Nice razors but I’d say that pick doesn’t exactly look promising considering how narrow that blade is. I have the same blade but in killer scales. Hopefully it’s just more surface than anything .

Top Bottom