What's new

Found in semi-captivity!

BE221A1A-4E32-4718-BE58-EE17F2A1E3EA.jpeg
D53F5A41-AD83-4D88-ACA8-E096D5F09482.jpeg
I have purely by chance come by one of my holy grail razors in a 2nd hand antiques store. - Any guesses for what it is? Condition is not perfect, and have not cleaned it yet.

Regardless of it's value as a collectible, it looks like a great razor design.
(I had to google it.)
Magnet in the handle - sure, why not?
The guard design looks interesting too. Almost like a DOC or SLOC.

Yep, Eclipse Red Ring.
Very happy with this acquisition.
Sad to say but I’ve been dreaming of acquiring one of these and a Gillette OC Aristocrat.

The design is great, a really unique razor.

...now to clean it up, it had an old rusty blade still fixed (who knows how many years or decades it was in there for). Hopefully the rust marks come off easy.
Might try an initial light clean with a toothbrush in a warm dettol mix.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Well done, go gently on the clean and take your time. I went a little crazy with a Red Tip and most of the paint fell off.

C8A953CC-1D23-4FBB-9CC6-094F00E8811A.jpeg
C3EDD77D-E664-4497-8C8A-25741F5304E4.jpeg
36FEAFAA-B741-4279-AF41-F07262E998A6.jpeg
Rust marks have come off nicely, the plating in the head is pretty much intact. However from the handle barrel down it is down to the brass.

Might put the razor to use now. Hopefully it will live up to the pedestal I’ve put it on!

Rust marks have come off nicely, the plating in the head is pretty much intact. However from the handle barrel down it is down to the brass.

Might put the razor to use now. Hopefully it will live up to the pedestal I’ve put it on!

I have seen replates in red rings but I think it often causes issues with the engraving on the handle. Someone more knowledgeable might be able to comment further

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I have seen replates in red rings but I think it often causes issues with the engraving on the handle. Someone more knowledgeable might be able to comment further

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chris @ Razorplate would be the man to talk to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

They seem to go for crazy money, but are really well made. The ones I looked at previously all went for well above what I could justify on a purchase.

But considering like for like razors. I have to say in order to manufacture one today, to the quality and workmanship standards of these vintage beauties I suspect would need to command a similar price.

That being said, it is a keeper, very happy with what I paid for it and I have no intent of letting it go. So price (within reason) really becomes irrelevant.

Top Bottom