What's new

Found Gillette razor

I found this Gillette razor why cleaning out my neighbors garage. It says Gillette made in USA and that’s really about it. Looks like is brass? Anyone speak a little more to it?
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Markings are usually on the comb plate or lower part of handle. Looks like it was gold plated and there is still some plating left on there. The teeth on the comb look in good condition so give it a try.

I’d liked to, what’s the best way of making it shine again?
Start with a good soak in hot (nearly boiling) water and dish soap. Once that has cooled off, give it a quick scrub with an old toothbrush, then do it again. A couple of rounds should be enough to make it feel usable. If you need more than that, Scrubbing Bubbles can help, but you have to be careful not to strip the gold wash (unless you don't care about it).

Good luck!

Yes, what @FoolishMortal said above. If there are any stubborn corrosion spots, you can put some Goof Off on a q-tip and gently rub away at it. This stuff will probably take off the gold wash, so be careful. Only rub on the corrosion. After that, use either Flitz or Maas polish. Of the two, i think Flitz is slightly better, but they both work. Be sure not to use Brasso. It's fine for other things, but the abrasives in Brasso are two strong for the razor plating. You might just strip it down to bare brass.

R

romsitsa

Just to clarify, the dull yellow areas are raw brass, the bright yellow is a thinner than thin gold plating, the orange spots a protective lacquer above the gold. Any polish, that can shine up the brass, will strip away the gold. So you can have a shiny razor or a partial gold plating but unlickily not both.
It’s most likely from the first production run of 1929-30.

Adam

Just to clarify, the dull yellow areas are raw brass, the bright yellow is a thinner than thin gold plating, the orange spots a protective lacquer above the gold. Any polish, that can shine up the brass, will strip away the gold. So you can have a shiny razor or a partial gold plating but unlickily not both.
It’s most likely from the first production run of 1929-30.

Adam

+1! Great advice! I would be tempted to leave the patina on that one. :clap: :clap:

Thanks for all the great info I did the soap and water a couple times yesterday definitely helped. I let it sit in soap and water over night. I’ll take some more pictures soon.

Of course, if you're OCD about the patchy finish, you could strip it down to the brass and polish it. Of course, you will have to re-polish occasionally because of brass patina.

Used it last night with a Gillette blue razor. Was pleasantly surprised I’ve only ever used a Merkur 23c just as good if not better. Never used a open comb razor either, seems to be a little closer shave?

How about replating the razor? I didn’t know that was a thing and the gentleman said he could almost get it looking new.

Top Bottom