What's new

Found after 30+ years I couldn't stand the Tabac scent anymore!

When I started on B&B, I succumbed to the lies and propaganda and bought a puck. I knew I was in trouble when I got the package from my mailbox and I could smell the evil stench even through the mailing box, which hadn't been opened yet. I'm a former smoker so I'm pretty sensitive and repulsed by tobacco-like smells. To me it smelled like a bum who never bathes, and collects old cigarette butts in all his pockets. I actually had to hold back retching, the smell was so offensive to me. But I was a rookie here, I figured all those Kool aid drinkers here couldn't be wrong, right? I forged forward, ignoring the danger signals sent to my brain from my nose. I used it once, and can honestly say I have no idea how the soap performed, because my olfactory senses were in overdrive, Code Black, if you will. I could still smell the soap on me hours later, and I actually gagged. Needless to say, I PIFd the offensive puck of demonic anti-matter. I hope whoever I gave it to doesn't still hate me.
Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I have noticed that my sense of smell has changed over time. I used to be overwhelmed with joy when I would smell some soaps, like Mike's Natural Barbershop. It had a strong but extremely pleasant aroma. I loved it, it was glorious to me. My last two pucks of it this past year were not the same experience at all. Either Mike's is really toning down the scent profiles, or my sense of smell is changing. I've not seen anyone reporting here about a lesser scent of Mike's soaps, so I figure it must me be.
And back to Tabac, if you're still with me here. I had a whim to get some Cella, after the wife and I dined at an upscale steakhouse, and the waiter brought us almond scented moistened hand towels. I decided to throw some Cella in with my order. And I got curious about Tabac again. So I bought the cheapest form of it, a shave stick refill. I waited anxiously for the package to arrive. I cautiously sniffed the outside if the box. Hmm, nothing. I opened it up and still nothing. I sniffed the Cella. Pleasant. Onto the Tabac. I cautiously put my nose to it, reminiscent of an electrician who just got zapped by some wires.
And it smelled like soap, about 10% as strong as I remember. The scent was not anything like I remember. The Tabac stick currently lives in my box of soaps, and someday I'll use it and report back.

Wow, The pure mention of Tabac stirs some emotions for sure, but after being around for so long, that makes scents I guess...

I smell an intentional pun also
:302:

I'm the odd duck on Tabac. I absolutely love the scent in the fall and winter, however once it gets hot here in NC I can't stand the scent. I don't know why the weather influences my take on Tabac but I've learned deal with my oddness:letterk1:

To the author of the insane made up fanfiction at the top of this page, Tabac literally doesn't have any tobacco to its scent

I'm the odd duck on Tabac. I absolutely love the scent in the fall and winter, however once it gets hot here in NC I can't stand the scent. I don't know why the weather influences my take on Tabac but I've learned deal with my oddness:letterk1:
That could be it actually, have to try it again in the winter and see what happens!

Not odd at all.
You have hit on a rarely explored aspect of olfactory perception as it relates to shaving soaps. I too, find certain soaps and scents preferable to certain seasons. I've known it to be discussed with respect to after-shaves or colognes, but not soaps or creams. Perhaps a dedicated thread is in order?

shavefan

I’m not a fan
When I started on B&B, I succumbed to the lies and propaganda and bought a puck. I knew I was in trouble when I got the package from my mailbox and I could smell the evil stench even through the mailing box, which hadn't been opened yet. I'm a former smoker so I'm pretty sensitive and repulsed by tobacco-like smells. To me it smelled like a bum who never bathes, and collects old cigarette butts in all his pockets. I actually had to hold back retching, the smell was so offensive to me. But I was a rookie here, I figured all those Kool aid drinkers here couldn't be wrong, right? I forged forward, ignoring the danger signals sent to my brain from my nose. I used it once, and can honestly say I have no idea how the soap performed, because my olfactory senses were in overdrive, Code Black, if you will. I could still smell the soap on me hours later, and I actually gagged. Needless to say, I PIFd the offensive puck of demonic anti-matter. I hope whoever I gave it to doesn't still hate me.
Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I have noticed that my sense of smell has changed over time. I used to be overwhelmed with joy when I would smell some soaps, like Mike's Natural Barbershop. It had a strong but extremely pleasant aroma. I loved it, it was glorious to me. My last two pucks of it this past year were not the same experience at all. Either Mike's is really toning down the scent profiles, or my sense of smell is changing. I've not seen anyone reporting here about a lesser scent of Mike's soaps, so I figure it must me be.
And back to Tabac, if you're still with me here. I had a whim to get some Cella, after the wife and I dined at an upscale steakhouse, and the waiter brought us almond scented moistened hand towels. I decided to throw some Cella in with my order. And I got curious about Tabac again. So I bought the cheapest form of it, a shave stick refill. I waited anxiously for the package to arrive. I cautiously sniffed the outside if the box. Hmm, nothing. I opened it up and still nothing. I sniffed the Cella. Pleasant. Onto the Tabac. I cautiously put my nose to it, reminiscent of an electrician who just got zapped by some wires.
And it smelled like soap, about 10% as strong as I remember. The scent was not anything like I remember. The Tabac stick currently lives in my box of soaps, and someday I'll use it and report back.

Your story makes sense. Your first Tabac experience clearly caused irreversible damage to your olfactory nerves. It's definitely a real thing. Rumor has it that eastern European scientists have been studying the scent of Tabac for decades, luckily they haven't been able to weaponize it (yet).

To the author of the insane made up fanfiction at the top of this page, Tabac literally doesn't have any tobacco to its scent
If you're referring to me, please be kind enough to refer to me by name. And sorry to inform you that you have no business telling me what I think Tabac smelled like.

I never tire of that crazy Tabac aroma, I've just moved onto soaps with better skin food ingredients and a better post-shave feel. Nothing lathers like Tabac and has that amazing slickness but that isn't the only aspect of a soap that matters, to me anyway.

Wow I honestly hadn’t realized until now how polarizing or contentious Tabac was. I thought Williams Mug carried that flame but after reading this thread I think Tabac takes the prize. I have never tried Tabac but I figure I will eventually. Or maybe just wait for someone who can’t stand it to get rid of it!

99% of what I shave with is scentless these days. I collect vintage pucks and mostly use those, or my own soaps (which I leave open and are all 3+ yrs old). My ten year old puck of tabac is probably my strongest scented soap. I neither like or dislike the scent. It's like old spice to me... just smells like toiletries. Sooner or later it'll get mashed into my ongoing frankensoap of nearly gone soaps and the scent will be lost forever... until I open up the backup puck I've got around here somewhere.

For decades I’ve hated the smell of Tabac. Recently I took a whiff and loved it, it smells just like bacon!

Wait, does that mean I’ve had a stroke?

Top Bottom