What's new

Found after 30+ years I couldn't stand the Tabac scent anymore!

Tabac and Old Spice (so sadly no longer available) pucks were my favourite soaps from when I began wet shaving more than 30 years ago.
Recently, during the past few years I have bought and tried may other great soaps and haven't used the Tabac puck until a couple of days ago, when I found after using so many other nice smelling soaps, I didn't like the scent anymore. It actually repulsed me!
It lathered great as always and had a very nice shave feel with it as I always do, but can no longer stand that scent....
Am I alone in this experience?

Tabac and Old Spice (so sadly no longer available) pucks were my favourite soaps from when I began wet shaving more than 30 years ago.
Recently, during the past few years I have bought and tried may other great soaps and haven't used the Tabac puck until a couple of days ago, when I found after using so many other nice smelling soaps, I didn't like the scent anymore. It actually repulsed me!
It lathered great as always and had a very nice shave feel with it as I always do, but can no longer stand that scent....
Am I alone in this experience?
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We lost you to the Dark Side.
Honestly, love the scent. If the Tabac Bar Soap was a bit less currency I'd use that too.

That's not been my experience with Tabac, but something similar happened with Wild-Root.
When I was a child, I used to adore the scent of my father's Wild-Root hair dressing. I would open the tube just to sniff it. After many decades, I finally found a new-old-stock tube of it and I recognised the scent, barely, but the magic was gone. Perhaps the scent hadn't aged well, but I was heartbroken knowing I would never again experience it like I did as a child. It's true, you can never go home again!

Took me one shave to know for certain that the scent of Tabac was vile. I sometimes say so on all those endless Tabac threads to balance out the grovelling adulation of all the other posts...... well, I mean, someone has to say something! Doesn't go down well, of course. They're a tight knit bunch.....

When I first smelled Tabac, the scent repulsed me; it made me nauseous. However, because some of my friends kept telling me how well it performed, I purchased a puck. Again, when I first removed the foil wrapper, the scent was unbearable. There was no way I could shave with that putrid stuff.

I placed the puck in an open container and left it to air out for several weeks. By that time, the volatile scents notes that offended my nostrils had dissipated leaving behind an almost pleasant scent. I presume it is the aldehydes used in the fragrance that I hated. Once those evaporated, the soap smelled much better. It will never be one of my favorite fragrances, but at least it is now usable.

Tabac does not lather as easily as softer artisan soaps, but once lathered, the performance rivals some of the better artisan soaps.

It's a cult..... they have snakes as pets.......
I agree with everything else with sangfroid but I will not call her snake ....
4f9adf86fd49cc9dd3fe71643a48604f.jpg

Tabac smells like man ....shaving in white singlet before going to work to collect debts...

Disclaimer.....I bought puck and bowl and then bought 15 refill pucks online.

I'll never claim it's my favorite, but it has a smoky allure that occasionally demands I use it. Splashed some of the AS on me today after using Stirling Gentleman. Now it will sit on the shelf quietly until it calls my name again. Luckily it is not a harsh or jealous master.

Tabac smells like man ....shaving in white singlet before going to work to collect debts...

Disclaimer.....I bought puck and bowl and then bought 15 refill pucks online.
Strange how different some scents are to different people. A "Man" is literally the last thing I think of when I smell Tabac. It smells more like a mixture of....Grandmas purse, ladies hand soaps and lotions, foot powder, and crayons?

For me, it's the opposite. I didn't like the scent years ago but now it's fine. I leave the jar of opened soap for a few days and the scent is minimized.

Bought a tub of Tabac, opened it, sniffed it, gagged, closed it and sold it unused. The stuff is vile smelling and regardless how good the lather is, if you can't stand the scent it's a loser

Love the scent, but at 70+ many soaps/scents that didn't bother me 10 years ago, now redden or irritate my face. I still use an almost 10 yo puck of Tabac a couple times a year, but last year I PIF'd my unopened backup bowl.

It was one i could abide the scent of for awhile, by the time i'd used up the stick i was pretty much repulsed by it. Now done with the whole gamut of scented, no joy to be found anywhere in the world of scent, soaps (& cleaners for any use), creams, aftershaves, colognes, i have to pass.
dave

It was one i could abide the scent of for awhile, by the time i'd used up the stick i was pretty much repulsed by it. Now done with the whole gamut of scented, no joy to be found anywhere in the world of scent, soaps (& cleaners for any use), creams, aftershaves, colognes, i have to pass.
dave
So sad.
I hope that doesn't happen to me.

Unbearable scent. I'd seen the stuff around, but back into DE shaving five years ago, I became interested in all the conservations, and differing opinions, on Tabac. So I trotted to my local department store and took a sniff. Really awful. Only the second soap so strongly rejected on aroma alone. The other? Trumper's Eucris.

Unbearable scent. I'd seen the stuff around, but back into DE shaving five years ago, I became interested in all the conservations, and differing opinions, on Tabac. So I trotted to my local department store and took a sniff. Really awful. Only the second soap so strongly rejected on aroma alone. The other? Trumper's Eucris.
Ummm...Eucris you say?
I'll have to check it out.

Top Bottom