What's new

Found a use for American Crew Shave Cream

Ok, ok.. I know everyone knocks this stuff.. But I got some of their "herbal" shave cream as a gift this past Christmas. I've been toying around with it since then.. shaved with it a few times (ok, not spectacular), used as a pre-shave a few times, then earlier this evening it struck me to give it a try with the hot-towel treatment.

So, I filled my sink and bowl with pipin' hot water, then rolled up a hand-towel and put it in the bowl to heat up during my shower. After my shower, I applied a generous amount of the AC shave cream onto my face, then rung out the towel (still HOT!!) and held it to my face for a few minutes.

Then I wiped off my face, and went about building some awesome lather (VDH soap + KMF Superlather), and went about my shave..

My face feels like a million bucks.

Now, one might get the same results with Proraso or any other favorite shave cream + the Hot towel method... but I figure in this case, if you have some of the AC shave cream around, you're probably never going to shave with the stuff, at least give it a try with the hot towel.

It worked great for me. :thumbup:

-Mason

I do the same thing with some Edge "latherless" shave cream that I got on clearance for $2.00 a 5.5 oz tube. I put it on, cover up with a hot wet towel for a few minutes then clean it off and whip up some real shave soap or cream (today was Taylor's Eaton College). Works great for me too!:biggrin:

I do the same thing with some Edge "latherless" shave cream that I got on clearance for $2.00 a 5.5 oz tube. I put it on, cover up with a hot wet towel for a few minutes then clean it off and whip up some real shave soap or cream (today was Taylor's Eaton College). Works great for me too!:biggrin:

This might be a good idea. I love the hot towel treatment, but hate my non-fresh lather I have to shave with (been sitting there for 3 minutes, cold by now). I should get some stuff just to use for the towel treatment.

+1, great post. I have been using my huge pump dispenser of KMF for the hot towel. Note, I don't use the KMF because I think it is sub-par ... I use it because I have really been digging soaps lately and don't want the KMF to go to waste.

I am a barber in louisville and use American Crew shaving regiment in services and have found it to be a great product. This is my shave step by step.

1. Hot steam towel very hot(wring out and shake loose the water as this is what will scald)apply across mouth then fold it on both side covering the eyes in. With a deep rubbing motion clean off the face from debree with the steam towel as you are removing it.
2. Apply crew shave oil and thoroughly rub into the whiskers in a upward circular motion.
3. Apply Crew herbal shave cream over top shave oil in same manner as previously described.
4. Apply additional hot steam towel. Immediately(leaving first towel on face) aquire a new hot steam towel. Take old steam towel still partially warm and remove it fold it over arm. Now apply second towel and pull taught followed by previous steam towel over top. This is what we call a double stem. now for a extra soothing experiance get a third towel hot and drape towel over the mouth area of the double steam and wrap around the back of neck.
After about 5 -8 minutes remove towel 1 by one and use the last to remmove the cream and oil(this will pull all impuritys from the surface leaving the skin prepped for a wonderful shave)
5. Now finally use the crew herbal shave cream lathering it with a badger brush.
6. Ready your blade and enjoy the shave.

For best results pull skin tight, keep the skin wet and lathered, have a sharp blad(preferably a straight razor) and let the razor do the work. it shouldnt even feel like you touched your face. Preperation is everything with shaving.
This shave line does however have a tendancy to clog up a safety razor with a quickness and dulls safety razors...better with straight razor

I used the AC classic shave cream and it sux. It lathers terribly and it burns on my face. I hate it. I dread using it. Don't buy unless you like your creams to burn... ouch

I am a barber in louisville and use American Crew shaving regiment in services and have found it to be a great product.

Welcome to B&B, barber! I'm entirely pleased to see that there's someone in Louisville providing a nice shave. I've not personally had much luck lathering the American Crew cream (it's the last cream I used prior to my discovery of B&B), but am definitely impressed by the thoroughness of your pre-shave prep overall. Do you use a straight in your shop? Either way, folks here might be interested in knowing where they might find you in Louisville, as there seems to be a bit of a shortage of purveyors of great shave experiences out there. Enjoy your Derby week!

And Mason, thanks for the great idea!

Sorry been offline and forgot to let you know where the barber shop is.
I work at
Key Lime Barber Salon
2009 Highland Avenue
Louisville, Ky 40204
(502)456-1926 ask for Farrell

I am a full service barber. I also do head shaves. First shave is free if you mention this posting $25.00 for each shave there after. Haircut is $25.00 head shave is $10.00 (You can get a haircut and shave for $35.00, For haircut shave and sports facial the cost is $60, sports facial 20 to 30 minutes by itself costs $25)

Thanks
Farrell

Top Bottom