What's new

Found a soap I don't get along with

Sadly I think that I will have to toss my puck of Col. Conk Lime. Had no issues with the Amber one, nice shaves and it lasts a long time, but with the Lime about half way through the shave my face starts to burn and it stays sensitive all day. Can't be the razor, as I'm on the same rotation I've been using for a couple months and never have an issue.

I'm guessing there is something in the scent that irritates my face. I'll try it another time or two to make sure, and if it's still making my face touch sensitive all afternoon and evening, I'll toss it.

Other than the burn, it's a nice soap, very slick and very easy to lather. However, even my rhino hide face has limits. I'd shave in the shower without soap like I did for 40 years before I use a soap that makes my face burn all day!

Citrus scents are among the most irritating.
For a light citrus/herbal/fruity scent, I'd recommend you try Speick or DRH Arlington.

light soaps.jpg

Sadly I think that I will have to toss my puck of Col. Conk Lime. Had no issues with the Amber one, nice shaves and it lasts a long time, but with the Lime about half way through the shave my face starts to burn and it stays sensitive all day. Can't be the razor, as I'm on the same rotation I've been using for a couple months and never have an issue.

I'm guessing there is something in the scent that irritates my face. I'll try it another time or two to make sure, and if it's still making my face touch sensitive all afternoon and evening, I'll toss it.

Other than the burn, it's a nice soap, very slick and very easy to lather. However, even my rhino hide face has limits. I'd shave in the shower without soap like I did for 40 years before I use a soap that makes my face burn all day!
What a bummer! Im sorry to hear you are having that issue. As far as the base goes, The Lime and the Amber are identical. The one difference being the scents (obviously). As was stated earlier, citrus can have that effect unfortunately.

It's OK. I really enjoyed the Conk Amber I used a couple years ago, and will use the others I have. We will see about the Lime. They are quite nice soaps, very slick when the lather is right.

What a bummer! Im sorry to hear you are having that issue. As far as the base goes, The Lime and the Amber are identical. The one difference being the scents (obviously). As was stated earlier, citrus can have that effect unfortunately.

You are always so responsive to feedback here. I don't even need any more soap, and I think I'm going to buy your Bay Rum, anyway, just because.

*Edit* - Just bought the 4-pack.

Last edited:
They are nice soaps. I'm getting less irritation the last couple shaves, so maybe it had something on the surface from sitting for four years after I tried it the first time.

I have too much shaving soap....

Many people are sensitive to one or more scent ingredients. Lime is a primary one for me, along with lemon, grapefruit, clove, cinnamon, peppermint, and menthol. However, I have found that I can use soaps containing these scents as long as the concentration of the specific irritant is not too concentrated. Thus, I typically look for complex scents that contain a variety of scent notes so that no one scent is concentrated enough to cause an issue. I skip all simple scents based on the scents noted as I have had severe irritation from some and minor irritation from others.

Cinnamon is a big one. I can eat cinnamon just fine, but cinnamon gum and strongly scented cinnamon soaps cause a reaction for me.

So far that's the only one I've had a problem with thankfully.

Amazon is currently moving my lime 4-pack around on a tour of my city, for some strange reason.

The bay rum, on the other hand, got here just fine. I gave it a go earlier, and found the scent to be very nice. Not too weak, not too clovey, not too cloying or sweet. I think that it's a perfect middle-of-the-road bay rum scent, and a safe bet for the company - especially with how picky everyone is, and how extreme the reactions can be. This bay rum scent hits the sweet spot, in my opinion. The lather was wonderful; nice cushion, slickness, and glide for a straight razor shave. Those that use DE's should be more than happy. The soap generated a nice creamy lather that wasn't too thick or too watery. It kind of reminds me of marshmallow cream, and I gave it the test run using horrid municipal tap water. If you use distilled water, like I normally do, you should be thrilled.

With Prime, I paid $15.44, delivered, for the 4-pack. I didn't bother to spend too much time really bargain hunting for a better price - not that I'm rich, it's just that's <$4. for a puck of soap isn't worth researching and haggling over. Solid value and performance. I'm going to buy more. Some people hoard toilet paper, some people hoard shave soap.

Amazon is currently moving my lime 4-pack around on a tour of my city, for some strange reason.

The bay rum, on the other hand, got here just fine. I gave it a go earlier, and found the scent to be very nice. Not too weak, not too clovey, not too cloying or sweet. I think that it's a perfect middle-of-the-road bay rum scent, and a safe bet for the company - especially with how picky everyone is, and how extreme the reactions can be. This bay rum scent hits the sweet spot, in my opinion. The lather was wonderful; nice cushion, slickness, and glide for a straight razor shave. Those that use DE's should be more than happy. The soap generated a nice creamy lather that wasn't too thick or too watery. It kind of reminds me of marshmallow cream, and I gave it the test run using horrid municipal tap water. If you use distilled water, like I normally do, you should be thrilled.

With Prime, I paid $15.44, delivered, for the 4-pack. I didn't bother to spend too much time really bargain hunting for a better price - not that I'm rich, it's just that's <$4. for a puck of soap isn't worth researching and haggling over. Solid value and performance. I'm going to buy more. Some people hoard toilet paper, some people hoard shave soap.
Thanks so much for your patronage and also for taking the time to write up your thoughts. Happy Shaves!

Yeah, I love the smell of their bay rum. It was my very first shave soap.

I have only had one soap burn my face and it was a cinnamon scent. To this day, I steer clear of that ingredient (also peppermint, just on principle). Fortunately the citrus hasn't ever reacted.

Top Bottom