What's new

Found a old Bottle of Johnny Walker Red . any ideas?

Found a old Bottle of Johnny Walker Red in my basement (circa 1989, but not sure that really matters). Should I ...
1. Pour it down the drain.
2. Save it for when I have people over (to make sure they don't come back)
3. Give it away (although I tried to give it away once and found no takers)
5. Other ideas? Mix it with coke or whatever to make it more drinkable?? What does one mix with cheap scotch? Drambuie to make a Rusty Nail??

I am not really much of a scotch drinker.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
As long as the liquor still looks good, (not cloudy or have sediment in it), I would keep it for guest.

Did you taste it? If you are "not really much of a scotch drinker" maybe you will like it. I drink all sorts of spirits. Some are better than others. Few are unacceptable.
YMMV, however.

Try it with a small spash of water. You should take a taste before you try a mixer with it.

This is about the only Drambuie I will touch

proxy.php

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
There is only one Drambuie. It's the brand name of the honey scotch liqueur, and the bottle has been changed since the one in Turtle's pic

Last edited:
As someone already said: if the bottle is sealed and the liquor clear with no sediment then it's fine to drink. If it's been in the cellar away from light, it should be pretty good.

So Red is not as good as Black? We really like Black.

Not as good is a value judgement. As a callow youth I used to make such judgements and would only drink Red Label mixed. These days, I quite like it on the rocks. It's simpler than black (toffee-caramel, malt, salt and thank you for coming) but I wouldn't call it inferior.

Well as long as it's not open, you could use it for mixing. Or like others have said just save it for guests who aren't big Scotch drinkers. Have to admit it's been a long time since I've had the red though.

There is only one Drambuie

Not quite true. There's Drambuie, and there's Drambuie 15.

There's debate on some very serious levels about bottle aging, and 25 years or so in glass might be interesting. As well as that, in the late '80s - early '90s there was a glut of good spirit about, so the quality of everything tended to be a lot better than it is now, where every cask has to count.

Assuming it's still sealed and the level hasn't dropped significantly, it'll be fine. Just drink it however you'd normally drink whisky....

Legion

Staff member
Ralfy of ralfy.com compared a vintage bottle of red to the new stuff. His verdict was that time had done a lot to help the whisky. I say drink it.

Top Bottom