What's new

Found a Hoffritz slant in the wild.

Yesterday while antique shopping with my girlfriend we were having an extraordinary run of bad luck when she suggested we stop at a pawnshop next to the antique stores. It was a pawnshop like I’ve never seen, they had a motorcycle “scooter” for sale, slot machines, 4 tier marshal amps, and so much more.

We’re going through the knife section trying to figure out which the other likes when she says “is that razor any good?” I didn’t believe what I saw until he took it out of the display case, somehow I had overlooked a beautifully crafted hoffritz slant! After A bit of haggling I got him down to what would be a fair price for a New LC.

I did some research, and thanks to kcb5150 on http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/454244-Hoffritz-plating?highlight=hoffritz+slant for suggesting the bowl of aluminum foil and baking soda because it made a world of difference! I cannot say it looks new, but it has just the right amount of character, and I’m not scared to shave with it.

And shave with it is exactly what I did! After getting it all cleaned up this morning I had my first shave with it and it is surprisingly smooth. To me it shaved like everyone describes the razorrock aluminum. I didn’t have to be meticulous, but had a top notch, irritation free shave with zero nicks or weepers. I’m not sure how it compares to the shave of modern merkurs, but I can absolutely say that Hoffritz slants definitely earned their reputation (and price). Well, maybe not their price, depending on where you buy them!

Highly recommend to anyone who has the means to try one, shaves as smooth as my ATT with less irritation, though it was a different experience. My ATT was a bit of a singer, but the hoffritz was eerily silent. Pleasurable shave experience, though. Probably the only quiet razor that I’ve enjoyed this much. Pics to come, atm I’m late for a Bday party! $20150712_012930[1].jpg$20150712_013012[1].jpg$20150712_013046[1].jpg$20150712_013124[1].jpg$20150712_013308[1].jpg

Pictures added! I have a bit to learn about cleaning up razors, but the aluminum foil trick worked great!

Last edited:
Pics are definitely needed.

I've been trying to get a hold of one, for over a year. No luck. The one I bought never made it here, from France, and the seller refused to accept responsibility. I don't think he liked the selling price. He refused to answer questions or provide tracking numbers. Very negative feedback. He stopped selling after that.

Yesterday while antique shopping with my girlfriend we were having an extraordinary run of bad luck when she suggested we stop at a pawnshop next to the antique stores. It was a pawnshop like I’ve never seen, they had a motorcycle “scooter” for sale, slot machines, 4 tier marshal amps, and so much more.

We’re going through the knife section trying to figure out which the other likes when she says “is that razor any good?” I didn’t believe what I saw until he took it out of the display case, somehow I had overlooked a beautifully crafted hoffritz slant! After A bit of haggling I got him down to what would be a fair price for a New LC.

*edit*
Pics to come, atm I’m late for a Bday party!

Oh sure, tell some wild story about finding a Hoffritz slant in the wild and then slip away without pics because of a convenient "Bday party"

I'm sorry but I need photographic evidence to back up a story like that.:lol:

Oh and Congrats on a cool find!:thumbup1:

I did some research, and thanks to kcb5150 on http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/454244-Hoffritz-plating?highlight=hoffritz+slant for suggesting the bowl of aluminum foil and baking soda because it made a world of difference! I cannot say it looks new, but it has just the right amount of character, and I’m not scared to shave with it.

And shave with it is exactly what I did! After getting it all cleaned up this morning I had my first shave with it and it is surprisingly smooth. To me it shaved like everyone describes the razorrock aluminum. I didn’t have to be meticulous, but had a top notch, irritation free shave with zero nicks or weepers. I’m not sure how it compares to the shave of modern merkurs, but I can absolutely say that Hoffritz slants definitely earned their reputation (and price). Well, maybe not their price, depending on where you buy them!

Highly recommend to anyone who has the means to try one, shaves as smooth as my ATT with less irritation, though it was a different experience. My ATT was a bit of a singer, but the hoffritz was eerily silent. Pleasurable shave e

I have one that my dad bought from a True magazine ad in the 50's. It is in a little brown leather case, with a slot in the bottom shelf which contains a container for blades. I can't remember, but I think he paid either $5 or $10. You could buy a TTO, Gillette in a fitted plastic case with 10 Blue Blades at the time for $1

It shaves about like my new 37C. It appears better made and the materials seem to have more quality. It has no #'s , but around the bottom it says - HOFFRITZ N Y MI GERMANY. I love it and use it every so often.

Last edited:
I have one that my dad bought from a True magazine ad in the 50's. It is in a little brown leather case, with a slot in the bottom shelf which contains a container for blades. I can't remember, but I think he paid either $5 or $10. You could buy a TTO, Gillette in a fitted plastic case with 10 Blue Blades at the time for $1

It shaves about like my new 37C. It appears better made and the materials seem to have more quality. It has no #'s , but around the bottom it says - HOFFRITZ N Y MI GERMANY. I love it and use it every so often.

Mine says "hoffritz N.Y. Germany"...on the inside of the top cap there is a number 1 between the center post and the side post.

I've been trying to get a hold of one, for over a year. No luck. The one I bought never made it here, from France, and the seller refused to accept responsibility. I don't think he liked the selling price. He refused to answer questions or provide tracking numbers. Very negative feedback. He stopped selling after that.
that is most unfortunate luck! sounds like it's a good thing that he stopped selling, though i'm sorry it had to be after you were aa bit ripped off.

I'm looking for a Hoffritz slant. My wife bought me a Hoffritz badger brush back when we first started dating and I feel like my set is incomplete. That's some great luck finding one in the wild.

If you use PayPal it should have been covered.

Top Bottom