What's new

Found a Chief's Special Pre-36

When it gets here I'll see if some I frame grips fit.

proxy.php

The Smith DA Model 4 actually gets carried pretty often. Of course only 4 rounds with an empty cylinder under the hammer but then at least two full 5 round speed loaders if needed. If it gets to where I need a reload I'll worry about leaving a spent case under the hammer later.

proxy.php

The old Smith is 38 S&W and actually amazingly accurate and easy to control. Even out past 15 yards it's pretty common for even an old fart like me to put that first four rounds in a fist size mark. It was most likely made in 1902 or 1903.

Interesting S&W. Very similar frame to this H&R, .38S&W 5-round of the same period. Anyone aware of a connection?

IMG_1033.JPG

Tom

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Frame too big for "I" frame grips but it looks like it had never been fired since the day it left the factory. The grips are individual number punched to the frame and cylinder.

There was two cleaning squares worth of residual gun powder in evidence and no buildup, rings or signs of use. Really minimal. Monday or Tuesday I will try to fix that.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Oh that is nice. Did it also come fully loaded with cartridges like in your photos? :biggrin1:

Stop being dicks. This has been a good thread, let’s keep it that way.

Please expand on that...I have seen nothing but a good discussion from firearms enthusiasts. What did you think was wrong?

Inquiring minds want to know.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
There was two cleaning squares worth of residual gun powder in evidence and no buildup, rings or signs of use. Really minimal. Monday or Tuesday I will try to fix that.

Looks like you got lucky...good deal. The little Cobra I got a couple of years ago needed a lot of work. Finally had to use a Lewis Lead Remover and some JB Bore Cleaner to "get the lead out." It was nasty, but works great now.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Oh that is nice. Did it also come fully loaded with cartridges like in your photos? :biggrin1:

Please expand on that...I have seen nothing but a good discussion from firearms enthusiasts. What did you think was wrong?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Some petty arguing. You can’t see what I deleted.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Looks like you got lucky...good deal. The little Cobra I got a couple of years ago needed a lot of work. Finally had to use a Lewis Lead Remover and some JB Bore Cleaner to "get the lead out." It was nasty, but works great now.
I think it was a very good deal. The old grips after some basic scrubbing with lemon oil.

proxy.php

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Some petty arguing. You can’t see what I deleted.

Oh, okay...that is as clear as mud.
I think it was a very good deal. The old grips after some basic scrubbing with lemon oil.

proxy.php

You have a gem there.

Range Report!

There was no arguing. It takes at least two to have an argument.

I've been following this thread since you posted it. I didn't see anything wrong either, but I know nothing.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
There was no arguing. It takes at least two to have an argument.

Apparently you are not one that needs a therapy puppy because your latte wasn't hot enough.

If this Wiki article is correct, H&R was started by a brother of Daniel Wesson of Smith & Wesson. So, might have been some sharing of designs?

That is entirely correct. Have you seen the new Dan Wesson Pistol Packs out now like they used to have? Dang they are expensive now.

And jar...not to argue or anything...but your S&W only holds five rounds compared to my Colt's six. And the cylinder turns the wrong way.

That is entirely correct. Have you seen the new Dan Wesson Pistol Packs out now like they used to have? Dang they are expensive now.

I'm not familiar with those, had to look into them. Interesting idea, and makes sense for two piece constructions so that don't need to own separate handguns if all you want is a longer barrel.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I'm not familiar with those, had to look into them. Interesting idea, and makes sense for two piece constructions so that don't need to own separate handguns if all you want is a longer barrel.

They are a bit heavy framed though, but that helps with recoil for what they are intended for.. and they come with a feeler gauge so you can set the barrel/cylinder gap correctly when you change barrels. Although I always carry a feeler gauge and bore light when I'm looking for a used revolver.

5B9D00CC-3AE9-4057-B6D5-46DACF27C92C.jpeg
I love the J frame S&W revolvers. Just wish I could get rid of the Clinton lock on my 640 without worrying about potential issues. Regardless of how unlikely.
Don’t dislike the N frames either

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
View attachment 929018 I love the J frame S&W revolvers. Just wish I could get rid of the Clinton lock on my 640 without worrying about potential issues. Regardless of how unlikely.
Don’t dislike the N frames either

Show off. I'm jealous.

I've never had one with the lawyer's lock on them, and don't think I want to. I get the old, dirty, used Smiths.

N frames are good if you have a good rig to carry them in. There was a Sgt. I had that carried a 629 and used .44 Specials. One time he was watching Gunsmoke with an unloaded gun and decided he'd try to outdraw Matt Dillon on the opening scene of the show.

Somehow...his unloaded .44 mysteriously loaded itself and....

I'm not going to say what happened to the TV.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
They are a bit heavy framed though, but that helps with recoil for what they are intended for.. and they come with a feeler gauge so you can set the barrel/cylinder gap correctly when you change barrels. Although I always carry a feeler gauge and bore light when I'm looking for a used revolver.
I have a Dan Wesson Monson made 15-2 but settled on just the 6" barrel. I wonder if the new barrels will fit on the old guns.

proxy.php

AbE:

I've a couple modern handguns with the internal locks and so far had no issues with them. They've never been locked and the keys are still in the boxes they came in and hopefully will never come out of those boxes.

And I too like "N" frames but mine are in 38/357 and 45acp.

When it comes to deosil vs widdershins, remember, on Discworld widdershins is one of the four directions and is the opposite of turnwise. Anyway, turning widdersins is not a problem unless it's around a Church.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator

When it comes to deosil vs widdershins, remember, on Discworld widdershins is one of the four directions and is the opposite of turnwise. Anyway, turning widdersins is not a problem unless it's around a Church.

Googling "deosil," a word I didn't know, was interesting ... always learning *something* around here!

AA

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
61DF6950-582C-4D7B-8A9F-D2E174317AAF.jpeg
I have in my possession this flat latch Mod 36 stamped with a SN of 221,XXX. The pistol actually belongs to my SIL, whose father carried it for years as a judge, carried a lot, shot seldom, only holster wear on the largely intact finish. Any guesses on year of production? I’m thinking early ‘60s.

Last edited:
Top Bottom