What's new

Found a 1962 at antique store

I stumbled upon a 1962 (H2) Gillette this afternoon when looking for a decanter at the local antique shop. Seems to be in real good shape. Any tips on upkeep? Thinking I may get it into my rotation of razors or maybe just have for a neat display.

Attachments

• 15310182489161673254051334971924.jpg
    15310182489161673254051334971924.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 89
  • 15310182821645007433311898821382.jpg
    15310182821645007433311898821382.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 87
If it opens and closes smoothly, does the last tightening 1/4 turn OK, appears to be adjusting, and has no bends, you should be good!

Might want to clean it up with warm water, Dawn soap, and a soft bristled tooth brush.

If it opens and closes smoothly, does the last tightening 1/4 turn OK, appears to be adjusting, and has no bends, you should be good!

Might want to clean it up with warm water, Dawn soap, and a soft bristled tooth brush.
Thanks! Anything you think i should use to polish it a bit?

Nice Slim! I use Mother's mag and aluminum polish and an old tee shirt on my razors. About any metal polish will do this is just what I had on hand and it works well for me. Some guys swear by Flitz. And you should definitely put it in your rotation! :thumbup1:

Should not need much more than dish soap and a well worn tooth brush.

If you want it more shiny, scrubbing bubbles and your worn toothbrush should do fine.

Use care with metal polish as some have fine abrasives and you don't want to start off needing a re-plate job before you use it

Hi,

Huh. What a coincidence. This morning, I found a 1961 sitting at my computer chatting on a shaving website..... :p

Enjoy your score. :)

Stan

Hi,

Huh. What a coincidence. This morning, I found a 1961 sitting at my computer chatting on a shaving website..... :p

Enjoy your score. :)

Stan
You're talking about coincidences? I stumbled upon a 1962 Gillette Slim at an antique store yesterday too. Mine isn't quite that nice, it has a bit of corrosion in a couple spots, but it twists open fine and clicks through all 9 settings, though there is more resistance from 5 to 9. I'm away on vacation and could only give it the hot water and Dawn treatment. Definitely scrubbing bubbles and toothbrush and probably metal polish when I get back. It still had a very rusty old blade in it, alas, leaving some crusty rust in the razor. Some of that rust came off with my fingernail, but we'll see how clean it will get. Any advice?

I didn't mean to step on your thread, but it was quite a coincidence I found a 1962 H2 Slim the same day you did. When I get back home I'll try polishing mine with Maas, which works quite well. Mine was a real rusty mess since an old blade was left in it. I alternated soaks in white vinegar and hot water and Dawn and only very slight traces of rust are left. I might not bother polishing it at all if it looked as good as yours, but you could try a bit of polish and see if you like the results.

Enjoy your 1962 Slim Adjustables guys. That happens to be my birth year and I have two H3’s which is my birth quarter and I really enjoy them. Great shaver and you can tweak it to suit your beard and technique.

A long soak in Dawn Platinum works wonders. A little Flitz goes a long way. Be careful.
I probably wouldn't bother polishing at all, but there are still traces of rust from the rusty blade. I've had great results with Maas metal polish. Look at the results on this vintage meat cleaver, sacrificed in the interests of science. I tried several things, including vinegar, Bar Keeper's Friend, and Maas polish. The Maas was the most effective, and relatively gentle. We'll see about the razor when I'm back home.
cleaver.jpg
hoffritz cleaned.jpg

Top Bottom