What's new

Fortune Article About Shaving Trends and...Us!

From the article:

Reliable market share numbers don't exist for retro shavers, but not only have GQ, Esquire, andDetails featured the products, more than 45,000 members of the online forum Badger & Blade post daily about shaving with century-old razors.

I wonder if P&G is doing some research on us as we speak. Even though we are few (compared to the millions and millions that use cartridges) it seems that they would look into any "threat" that would take away from their products.

Very interesting article. I don't think it will ever be the majority, but more and more people are reverting back to the older ways.

I can see a new job position opening up at Procter & Gamble: Someone to browse eBay, buying up all the old razors before they can get into the hands of the masses!

I find it interesting Gillette suddenly talks about how long a cartridge will last. It's like a guilt complex because of the cost. "Sure, we make you pay a lot for the cartridge, but look how long it lasts!"
Despite the comments in the article, has anyone gone a whole month on one cartridge? We're talking daily shaving here; not a teen who does it twice a week.

Does anyone shave with a DE and canned stuff?

I have a can of Barbasol for when I want to shave before work but don't have the 20-30 minutes to do so properly.
I don't need to shave before work but I don't want to look like a hobo, either.

I have a bit of fusion gunk left over that I'm now somewhat tempted to try with my EJ DE83 one day.

Wouldnt it be amazing if Gillette released a new line of DE razors based of the vintage Gillettes? :drool:

Keep dreaming, too much money to be had in cartridges for them to care.

Though I'd be happy with any new Gillette DE..vintage-based or not. I'm surprised they don't in 2nd world countries where they still make blades.

I find it interesting Gillette suddenly talks about how long a cartridge will last. It's like a guilt complex because of the cost. "Sure, we make you pay a lot for the cartridge, but look how long it lasts!"
Despite the comments in the article, has anyone gone a whole month on one cartridge? We're talking daily shaving here; not a teen who does it twice a week.
Yes I have..Schick Hydro 3 and Gillette. It became quite painfull !! That's why I'm here now. Now if I use my Schick Hydro even with a new cartridge, it's like rubbing
a brick on my face.

most of my friends and my dad tell me that their carts last up to 4 months, while they shave 1 per 2 days

Yes I have..Schick Hydro 3 and Gillette. It became quite painfull !! That's why I'm here now. Now if I use my Schick Hydro even with a new cartridge, it's like rubbing
a brick on my face.

The problem with the carts and ellectric shavers is that if you let your wiskers grow more then 2 days then it becomes almost too painfull to shave with then you need to use a cliper to mow down your wiskers. I love that my DE can destroy my 5 day old wiskers.

My M3 cartridges would last at least a month, however I was only shaving 3-4 times a week due to neck irritation. That's not shaving daily, but it's also not the peach fuzz a kid would have either. I think I might go back and try my M3 again and see how it goes with what I know now about prep and what I've learned mapping the growth patterns on my face. I have no doubt I would get great shaves knowing what I do now, but neither do I doubt that I wouldn't enjoy it as much either. The main reason I stuck with the M3 was it was the only one I didn't have clogging problems with, I think it would be hard to have that problem with the DEs as the underblade area where the whiskers & such collects is open and easily rinsed.
I think most people in todays society are going to stick with cartridges because of the simplicity of slapping their shave cream on and then scraping it off and done. I also think that most people have skin that isn't bothered by it and as such have no reason to seek out an alternative. Those with problem skin/hair growth and those that enjoy the ritual/nostalgia are always going to be the minority. The same will probably happen to cartridges when they come up with a quick easy at home laser razor or some such technogadget. Our kids/grandkids will join forums where people collect vintage/antique M3 & Fusion bodies that are what their parents/grandparents used. They'll post I'm sure about finding an old battery powered Mach 3 Turbo handle they found going through their grandparents effects and be curious about what cartridges are available for it, if anyone still imports the old AAA batteries for it and whether anyone can put a custom paint job on it.

Top Bottom