What's new

Fortified wines - I love 'em

A recent post discussing Port wines got me thinking which fortified wine is my favorite, but I couldn't decide.

Port Fortification is added to stop fermentation, which leaves some residual sugar.
Ruby is the most wine-like, fruity and un-oxidized, but like young wine, is often too sharp.
Tawny is incredibly accessible and sure to be a crowd-pleaser, but some think too syrup-ey.
LBV is a vintage wanna-be: nice, but not much more than high-alcohol table wine.
Vintage is fantastic, but hard to learn, because availability restricts ability to try a wide variety.
Colheita, A Vintage Tawny, truly something special; A real treat, especially for occasions.

Sherry (Jerez) Dry, because completely fermented; if it's sweet, sugar was added later.
Aged and oxidized in oak (Solera is a system of oak casks, one siphoning to the next) depending on how log it is aged affects darkness and vanilla-oak flavors. Fino and Manzanilla are young, bright and dry, Amontillado and Oloroso are older, thus darker and richer, often bordering semi-sweet.
Cream, Dulce, Moscatel, are sweet from added sugar after fermentation.
Pedro Ximenez: made from dried (raisin-ed) Pedro Ximenez grape: thick, sweet, a little prune-juice-ish.

Madeira Very similar to Sherry, but aged using heat; either artificially heated or left in a hot environment, to replicate the time spent in the holds of it's transporting ship. Aged a minimum of 5 years for Reserve, 10 for Special Reserve, up to 20 for Colheita.

Marsala Think Italian Sherry: I really can't tell a difference, and my cooking wine of choice.

Vermouth Most people only know as an ingredient in cocktails, the right ones are fantastic apertifs and digestifs.

How do you like 'em?

Attachments

• fortified wine.jpg
    fortified wine.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 10
I like Port a lot, especially a good tawny like Sandeman 20-year-old, and also white Port, although you don't see this very often. Some say Port is too syrupy, but I think of it as being rich and with complex flavors. Sherry and Madeira I've never got on with, possibly because of its association in this country with little old ladies. Also, my early experiences of this drink involved Harvey's Bristol Cream, which I've subsequently learned is not the best example around.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I recommend you try a Muscat de Beaumes-de-Venise, a very well priced dessert wine that is amongst the tastiest.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I just got started in to Ports. Right now I'm drinking a Ruby. I like the Tawny a lot better.

How do you heat your port tongs?
I just lay them over my gas stovetop burner until they glow. if they 'stick' when you grab the bottle they're hot enough. The BEST way to open an old bottle: avoid the cork completely.

I love old dryer Madeira (e.g. Verdelho). Tried it a few time at Bern's Steakhouse in Tampa. It's almost impossible to find in retail shops. Madeira was used to toast our Declaration of Independance.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I just lay them over my gas stovetop burner until they glow. if they 'stick' when you grab the bottle they're hot enough. The BEST way to open an old bottle: avoid the cork completely.
I was hoping you had a specially built forge. I saw a video last night where the guy used a corkscrew and basically said not to worry about the cork falling in to the wine because you are going to filter and decant it. So the filter will catch the cork and sediment.

And on the second bottle he used one of these. Which I've never seen before but now I must have one.

41AfEetVSFL._SY355_.jpg

I love old dryer Madeira (e.g. Verdelho). Tried it a few time at Bern's Steakhouse in Tampa. It's almost impossible to find in retail shops. Madeira was used to toast our Declaration of Independance.
Off topic, but I've been to Bern's twice; once in the early 90s and again in around 2010. Two very different experiences. The first trip included kitchen and wine cellar tours. Got to see the live fish tank. Did dessert upstairs. Food, drink, and service were outstanding. Totally in awe. The second trip was just not the same.

but I've been to Bern's twice; once in the early 90s and again in around 2010.

I think Bern, the original owner, passed away in early 2000's. The place is now run by his family. When I lived in Tampa, I knew someone whose grandparents had a perpetual once-a-week reservation at Bern's. The wine cellar at Bern's is amazing. The last time I visited, the most expensive bottle for sale was priced over 30K. And the private desert room is a temple of sweet gluttony.

Top Bottom