What's new

Formulating shaving soap

Hi,
I'm new to this forum.
If there is a number on this forum you can direct me to I would like to read up on it, or my questions are.....
If I use oils and butter high on SA, do I still have to add additional SA?
I guess the proportion of potassium and sodium hydroxide are 60/40...would these number give me a bar of soap or would it be more creamy?
Thank you so much,:confused1

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
I'm new to this forum.
If there is a number on this forum you can direct me to I would like to read up on it, or my questions are.....
If I use oils and butter high on SA, do I still have to add additional SA?
I guess the proportion of potassium and sodium hydroxide are 60/40...would these number give me a bar of soap or would it be more creamy?
Thank you so much,:confused1

I'm experimenting with these questions right now. There are no oils or butters that have enough stearic acid to get the % of stearic acid above 50, I think. I have been told (without real justification) that you "need" a stearic % of 60 for a good shave soap. The last soap I made is focused on getting the percentage of creamy-lathering acids high enough without specifically going for stearic. So, it has mostly palm, some coconut for volume, and 10% added stearic.

Where did you get the 60/40 proportions on your KOH and NaOH? That's another thing I haven't been able to find anything on. So far I've done one all-KOH soap (came out great) and one all-NaOH soap (still curing). I think the proportions you would want to use will vary based on your desired final product.

Top Bottom