What's new

Formulating my opinions

Update for the evening. Just a face shave.

Soap - Musgo Real lavender cream. I really enjoy the smell of this stuff. It lathers alright. However, my skin feels dry and a little irritated afterwards.

Blade - Third pass with the Treet SS, still feels great. I think I've found another favorite blade. Not quite as nice as the shark, but easily second best.

Razor - R41. I purchased a handle from someone on Shave Nook. It was supposedly a custom made by a member. No picture, just bought it on a whim. Hoping I like it. A bit impulsive, but I'm really sick of the Muhle handle.

After my time spent with TOBS almond and how great my face feels afterwards, I'm not sure how easy it'll be for me to qualify other creams/soaps. So I may be kicking more to the curb that previously were in the keep pile.

Last edited:
Update

Soap - Haslinger Schafmilch. This soap performed relatively well. Wasn't terribly hard to lather, and seemed pretty slick. I couldn't detect any smell at all, however I am sick with a cold, so that could be why. After the shave, my face feels okay, but a bit tight and dry. I'll definitely give this one another go.

Blade - 4th go with the Treet SS. During the shave, it felt great. After the shave, my face is a little bit dry and tight, so I'm not sure if the razor was tugging causing some irritation due to being dull or due to the soap. Either way I'll still be using the rest of these that I have in the future.

Razor - R41. Still waiting for my handle to come in the mail. Plus, in a near drunken state on cold medicine, I bought another with a bulldog handle to try. So ultimately, I'll end up selling one on the BST as I don't need dueling razors. Or I may PIF it to my brother if I can talk him into getting rid of his beard. We will see.

Update - face shave only

Soap - TOBS Grapefruit cream. Whoa. This stuff smells exactly like a bitter grapefruit. I can't stand it. Honestly, I only bought it because so many people said it is great. I can't handle it. Skin doesn't like it either. Oh well, it'll make the next round of BST postings.

Blade - Supermax Super Platinum. This thing bit me. 3 times. I don't know if it is crazy sharp, or I just wasn't paying attention. Either way, I'm going to try again next time and pay it some more care.

Razor - R41. Still waiting on handles.

Yeah ultimately as I get better, I'm sure my opinions will change.

I've mostly had TTOs at this point. The Merkur is the first razor I've had otherwise. I like how it shaves, the heft of it and the look, but I don't care for the blade alignment part. I far prefer my Gillette for that. Are all 2 and 3 piece razors that way as far as having to hold the blade perfectly in place while tightening it up?

As for soaps, good lather and mild scent. I've got a very sensitive nose. I really like the lather of tabac, but the scent is so off putting. I was suggested by someone to leave it open to the air for a while and hopefully the smell dissipates some. I like the scent of the razorock fresco, but that lather isn't all that impressive. I'm not opposed to creams, but I'd have to learn more about them. I'm a face latherer as well, so I'd have to change technique.
Creams and face lathering is like salt and pepper , bread and butter, they are meant for each other.

Update - rare that I shave two days in a row, but my hair on my head was getting long. Single WTG pass on the face, and a full head shave

Soap - D.R. Harris Rose cream. Well, I'm not really impressed or disappointed with this. It lathers pretty well and gave a decent shave. It smells like a rose. However, it turns out, I'm not really all that fond of the smell of a rose on my face. It isn't overbearing, but it isn't awesome. I won't be using this one again. I'll either BST it, or maybe PIF it to one of my sisters. They both like rose scented stuff.

Blade - Supermax Super Stainless - did fine for the first face pass, gave up a third the way into the first head pass. These are out.

Razor - R41 - One of my handles FINALLY came in. The bulldog one. Plenty of grip. Very heavy. It will take some getting used to. I'm not sure if I like how short it is though. Look forward to my longer handle coming and so I can compare them side by side.

I finished my head with my Fusion.....every time I do that, I think seriously about switching back. It is so simple and fast and BBS. Damn the carts being so expensive!

Update - Full head and face shave.

Soap - Valobra almond. I was really looking forward to trying this one. I'd been told a few times that it has a clay note to it, and I didn't detect it until I lathered it up. It smells like dirty almonds. I'm a little disappointed. It lathered very well and gave a decent shave, but the smell was kind of strange. Afterwards, my face feels rather tight and dry too. I don't think I'll be trying this again.

Blade - Shark Super Chrome. Very sharp. Bit me once on the face because I was careless and 3 times on my head before I decided to stop the bloodbath. Definitely a nice blade when respected. I'll give it another go on my face, but don't think I'll be doing my head with the DE anymore.

Razor - R41. Bulldog handle is heavy. Maybe too heavy. I know that sounds stupid since I said I was looking for a heavy handle, but in all reality, I guess I wanted a larger handle, that wasn't too heavy. I'm still waiting on my other handle to come in the mail, but depending on how that performs, this may well be getting traded.

I'm done with DE on my head. The amount of care it takes just to not bleed is too much. Shaving over all my scars is nearly impossible without opening up my head. The fusion never cuts me unless I deliberately bear down on it and drag it into my skin. I'm going halfway back to the dark side. Gonna see if I can order some bulk blades for cheaper than local stores. I may also try a Mach 3 since they seem to be cheaper refills. I used one when I first started shaving my head about 13 years ago, but I can't remember how well they worked/lasted.

Anyone have any tips for keeping the cart blades sharper longer? I know it is a bit like heresy to speak of these things here, but I know there are still some guys who use them, especially for chroming the dome.

Not getting anymore feedback on here...guess I'm talking to myself. Oh well!

Update - face shave only tonight.

Soap - TOBS Shave Shop cream. I really like how TOBS creams lather. Awesome and easy. Not a big fan of this particular scent though. It reminds me of a kitchen cleaning product. It isn't awful, just not something I want to smell on my face.

Blade - Shark Super Chrome again. I think this blade isn't as smooth as the other Shark I tried previously. I don't care how this leaves my face feeling. Maybe it is too sharp, I'm not sure, but it just isn't working for me.

Razor - R41 - I got my longer handle in the mail today! Fantastic difference. That is just what I needed. Bulldog is out for sure now. This handle feels great. The knurling isn't terribly deep, but grip is awesome. It looks good, feels well balanced and just plain fits in my hand.

Another variable added tonight. I received a free bottle of Nivea sensitive post shave balm. This stuff smells great! Cooled my face down too after the shave. I'm not sure if I'll make this a regular in my routine, but I'll definitely be trying it again.

Update - face shave only tonight

Soap = TOBS Avocado cream. This is the first time I have ever been grossed out by a soap. It smells terrible. Not much like an avocado. I love avocados, and this reminds me nothing of them. The performance of the cream seems to be pretty impressive though. Easy to lather and pretty slick, even though the blade I was using is at the end of its life. Either way, this WILL NOT get used again. It actually made me gag a little.

Blade - Retiring the Shark Super Chrome. This thing is eating up my face. Not sure why, it just doesn't work.

Razor - R41 w/long handle. Superb. Simply superb.

Not getting anymore feedback on here...guess I'm talking to myself. Oh well!

Don't despair! I'm sure you have people reading it but sometimes it can take a while to get a response. There are a lot of journals these days in here!

Update - Full head and face shave.

Soap - Valobra almond. I was really looking forward to trying this one. I'd been told a few times that it has a clay note to it, and I didn't detect it until I lathered it up. It smells like dirty almonds. I'm a little disappointed. It lathered very well and gave a decent shave, but the smell was kind of strange. Afterwards, my face feels rather tight and dry too. I don't think I'll be trying this again.

Blade - Shark Super Chrome. Very sharp. Bit me once on the face because I was careless and 3 times on my head before I decided to stop the bloodbath. Definitely a nice blade when respected. I'll give it another go on my face, but don't think I'll be doing my head with the DE anymore.

Razor - R41. Bulldog handle is heavy. Maybe too heavy. I know that sounds stupid since I said I was looking for a heavy handle, but in all reality, I guess I wanted a larger handle, that wasn't too heavy. I'm still waiting on my other handle to come in the mail, but depending on how that performs, this may well be getting traded.

I'm done with DE on my head. The amount of care it takes just to not bleed is too much. Shaving over all my scars is nearly impossible without opening up my head. The fusion never cuts me unless I deliberately bear down on it and drag it into my skin. I'm going halfway back to the dark side. Gonna see if I can order some bulk blades for cheaper than local stores. I may also try a Mach 3 since they seem to be cheaper refills. I used one when I first started shaving my head about 13 years ago, but I can't remember how well they worked/lasted.

Anyone have any tips for keeping the cart blades sharper longer? I know it is a bit like heresy to speak of these things here, but I know there are still some guys who use them, especially for chroming the dome.

I don't blame you for giving up on the DE for the noggin'. I also found it took way too much concentration to not get cut there. The best solution I found for shaving my head was buying a "Headblade" razor (the older version, the Headblade Sport with the rubber curled finger holder and the blade is pushed first not the newer ATX version that drags the cart behind) and not using the carts they provide.

I buy the two blade Gillete Atra refills in bulk on Ebay or Amazon, you can even get the generic kinds that are compatible and I have found to be just as good. Far, far cheaper than any of the multi blade monstrosities that you would buy in the store and because it is only two blades, it doesn't clog up like those multi blade carts. Stick with two blades max, that's all you need. Any more is unnecessary and a waste of money as well as less effective.

Also to answer your question, there is no real way to keep the cartridge blades sharp. Just use them and chuck them. If you do end up getting the generic Atra brand types, they are cheap enough and I find them good for about 5-6 head shaves easily if not a bit more.

I use a straight for my face but the above solution for my head. I would never use my straights on my head...that would be crazy talk!! :tongue_sm

Don't despair! I'm sure you have people reading it but sometimes it can take a while to get a response. There are a lot of journals these days in here!

I don't blame you for giving up on the DE for the noggin'. I also found it took way too much concentration to not get cut there. The best solution I found for shaving my head was buying a "Headblade" razor (the older version, the Headblade Sport with the rubber curled finger holder and the blade is pushed first not the newer ATX version that drags the cart behind) and not using the carts they provide.

I buy the two blade Gillete Atra refills in bulk on Ebay or Amazon, you can even get the generic kinds that are compatible and I have found to be just as good. Far, far cheaper than any of the multi blade monstrosities that you would buy in the store and because it is only two blades, it doesn't clog up like those multi blade carts. Stick with two blades max, that's all you need. Any more is unnecessary and a waste of money as well as less effective.

Also to answer your question, there is no real way to keep the cartridge blades sharp. Just use them and chuck them. If you do end up getting the generic Atra brand types, they are cheap enough and I find them good for about 5-6 head shaves easily if not a bit more.

I use a straight for my face but the above solution for my head. I would never use my straights on my head...that would be crazy talk!! :tongue_sm

Hey thanks for the response! I realize my log here is quite lengthy and a bit redundant too.

I actually posted somewhere in the thread about my brief encounter with a headblade sport. Never again. I carved a trench in my head that took a week or two to heal up. It just snagged on one of my scars and apparently I was moving too fast, because it ran with about an inch of skin. I had to peel it out of the blade.

I really like my fusion for my head. I just don't like the cost of the carts. I ordered one of the gimmicky cart strops - the Razorpit Teneo. I've read a few people on here that say it works, so maybe it will help stretch the value a little. I also ordered a Mach 3 to try, since those seem to be a little cheaper on bulk refills on eBay.

With the Headblade, when I first started I had a similar experience to yours! Ouch is right. Then I realized I was pushing down too hard. As soon as I kept barely enough pressure on it to keep it on my head, I never cut myself anymore! But you have to use whatever works best for you. Good luck and keep us posted as to how things go.

Update - face shave only this evening

Soap - Truefitt & Hill lavender. I sort of like this cream, but sort of don't. Lathers great and gives a slick shave, but the scent is almost a bit too spicy for me. Like lavender and pepper. I think I may kick this particular scent to the curb, but look for some other T&H creams.

Blade - Lord Platinum. WAY better than the other Lord blade I tried. It gave me an acceptable shave. I will try it again in a different razor.

Razor - Gillette Aristocrat. I believe it is a 46/47, but there is no date code. I received this in a trade, and thought I would see if I still like using a TTO. I love the TTO action vs the 3 piece, however, this razor is just too light, short and mild for me. I've really grown to like the open comb of my R41. I wonder if there is a long, heavy, open comb TTO anywhere out there? Best of both worlds.

Update - Face shave only this evening. Working with 5 days growth. I let it go a bit because I've had some irritation on my neck I wanted to give some time to heal up.

Soap - Cella. I'm rather torn with this one. I bought this huge block of soap hoping that it would be my grail of soaps/creams/croaps. I have read so many awesome things about it. Well, ultimately, it lathered okay. Better with my badger brush than my boar (I always test a new soap with both to see which it likes better). It performed well. Slick shave. It didn't smell as sweet as I was hoping. I was really hoping it would be closer to RR P.160. It is much more bitter. Not as bitter as Valobra, but not nearly as sweet as P.160. I think I'll probably keep 200 grams or so of this, and sell the rest off. Afraid it didn't make the holy grail status I had hoped for, but it isn't so bad it has to go completely.

Blade - 2nd run on the Lord Platinum. Much better in my R41. Gave a very close, smooth shave. I rank this blade up there is performance with the Shark SS. Let's just see how long it holds up.

Razor - R41 w/ heavy handle. I can't say enough great things about this set up. Seriously this razor is perfect for me.

I got a Mach 3 and the Razorpit Teneo in the mail at the end of last week. I intend to give the M3 a run at my head in the next couple days. I think I'll try the cart strop on a well used fusion blade I have as well to see if it really does anything. I can't bring myself to pay the price for the quantity of carts I need, I can't get DE or straights to work well on my head and I definitely don't want to go back to clippers only, so here is to hoping this thing does some good!

Update - slacking a bit. I've had a couple shaves but didn't feel like pecking it all out. Been toying around with my other hobbies and that has taken most of my attention.

I will say, I tried MWF, and it is fair. Lathered relatively easy, but didn't give an awesome shave. Smelled like soap, so tolerable, but not awesome. I may try it again.

I also tried a feather RG non folding razor as part of a pass around on here. That sure is different. Not much like straight razor shaving at all surprisingly. Honestly, I prefer a real straight. Just feels better. But, I have another razor to try, so before I cast my final judgement, I'll give that one go too.

****I decided to shave this evening, so that update is below!***

Head and face

Soap - MWF - This is my second shave with MWF. It is picky with water, but I've heard that, so I'm not surprised. My skin doesn't like it. I'm itching pretty good afterwards. I won't be using this one again.

Blade - Feather Pro Guard - Not a fan. Feels rough. Fair shave on the face, but irritated. Felt nice on the head, but cut me up a couple times on the back.

Razor - Feather SS non folding - Far prefer the feel of this razor to the Feather RG. Closer to the feel of a real straight shave. I prefer the solid handle to a standard western straight though. I've never shaved with a true Kamisori, so I can't give a comparison there.

Last edited:
Update - Full face and partial head shave

Soap - RazoRock P.160 - brought this back to life because I love the smell. Unfortunately, I still can't get it to lather. I'll be retiring it. I found other soaps/creams that smell just as good or better so this has no place in my rotation anymore.

Blade - Feather Professional. Wow is this a sharp blade. Honestly, best shave I've had with a straight/shavette. Second best shave overall. On my face. Too sharp for the back of my head and my scars without some practice. It bit me pretty good. That is why I only did a single pass shave on my head.

Razor - Feather SS non folding - Trying this razor out has really been a treat. I love how it feels in my hand. I think I may try to find a western grind straight with a solid handle like a Kamisori. I like these Feathers, but the blade cost is a bit steep to consider it as a daily razor.

Update - full face and head shave

Soap - Truefitt & Hill lavender cream - I don't know what it is about this cream, but I REALLY want to love it. The smell maybe? It performs pretty well. But my skin doesn't love it. It makes me itch afterwards.

Blade - Gillette Silver Blue. Very nice blade. Great face shave.

Razor - Face - R41. Nothing bad to say still. I'm pretty positive I found my final DE razor. I still have a couple others to throw in for variety here and there, but I'm sure 95% of my shaves will be with this razor.

Razor - Head - Mach 3. I bought one to compare performance to my fusion. I have no complaints with the fusion other than the blade clogging too easily. The Mach 3 didn't clog at all. However, it wasn't nearly as easy of a shave. Took an extra pass to get the same results as the fusion. I imagine in the long run, that would negate any benefit of the cheaper refills of the M3. So, I'll use this one until it is dull, then buy more blades for my Fusion.

Update - full face and head shave

Soap - 3P. I have a small amount of this left in a bowl that was sent to me as a sample by a generous member on here. This stuff isn't my favorite, but it sure does lather easily. Whips up a ton of lather. Not terribly slick or cushioned, but fair. No scent left to speak of. It is probably going to take me another 10 shaves to use up this whole sample though.

Blade - 2nd shave with the GSB. On my WTG pass it felt good. My ATG pass, not so much. 3 weepers. I'll give it one more go, but if it doesn't get better, these blades won't be getting a second chance.

Razor - face - R41
Razor - head - Mach 3. Same complaints as last time.

Technique update - I've always had an issue with my touch up pass on my head. I have to feel for what I've missed, but as soon as I wipe my hand across my skin, I clean off all the shaving cream/soap. So, I decided to lather up my whole head for the touch up pass, then squeeze all the thick soap out of my brush into my left hand. Then I rub my left hand all over my head, coating both my hand and head evenly. This allows me to feel for the hair without leaving a dry surface to shave. I'm sure this is no secret to many, but in 14 years of shaving my head, I just now figured it out so I thought I would share.

I would also like to say how much I appreciate being a member of this forum. I recently posted a BST listing for all the gear that didn't make the cut and some that did, because I was surprised by my eye doctor with a surgery in less than 2 weeks that I have to pay $2500 cash up front for. So I've been selling a lot of things from my various hobbies to come up with the cash. In my BST posting, I let everyone know why I was selling what I was, and before I knew it, people were not only buying everything up faster than I could keep up, but also offering to donate to my surgery fund. That just amazed me. What a great group of people on here. Nobody knows anyone personally, yet they are willing to help any way possible. I just really feel lucky to have found such a great board to be a part of. I have met more decent people on here than I ever have in real life. Interesting how something such as shaving can bring so many good people together.

Has been a month since my last update. Only two shaves in that time. I had eye surgery about 3 weeks ago, so I've been growing a beard and hair. I've decided to run with it since I already had a fair amount of growth. I have trimmed my neck and cheeks though, so I figured I'd update.

Soap - Cella once, 3p tonight. I like the Cella pretty well. Not quite the perfect smell, but definitely good enough. The 3p is making me itch, so it is out, even though I only had a sliver left.

Blade - Finally delved into the Feathers. Wow are these sharp. Awesome shave, considering I was shaving so little. I'll definitely buy more of these.

Razor -R41- I can't imagine buying anything else from this point forward. Definitely glad I bought this.

I was given a brush for my birthday from my sister. A Plisson synthetic from L'Occitane. Fantastic. I'm getting rid of my badger now. This brush is so soft, and surprisingly stiff enough to face lather with all the soaps/croaps/creams I've tried.

On a side note, nothing to do with shaving, I'm still recovering from eye surgery, and man is this a miserable process. I never expected recovery to take so long. I finally was able to drive yesterday. Over 2 weeks. So for whatever it is worth, if any of you can avoid eye surgery, do so. You don't realize how much you appreciate your eyes until they are burning and you feel like you're looking through a white balloon.

Light update. I've not tried anything new, and I'm only edging around my beard so it doesn't really count as shaving much anyway.

I will say, I think I've decided feathers feel a bit too harsh in my R41. Nice enough to use going forward until I run out of what I have, but I think my go to blade will be the Shark SS after I use up the few that have made the cut.

Post eye surgery, my eyes are very sensitive to any scents. So I've been careful with what I use and how much.

Top Bottom