What's new

Formulating my opinions

Well, a bit of an update. I found out about people using noxema as a prep. I picked some up and decided to give it a go for a full face and head shave. I like the smell, although I don't know that it made anything any better as far as slickness goes. I tried it with Tabac and it didn't play well. The tabac didn't lather well. I was hoping the noxema scent would kill the Tabac, but I was wrong, so I'll be retiring the Tabac to the BST along with a few other things in the next couple days. I'll try the Noxema again with other soaps.

I also tried an Astra blade. I cut myself 4 times. The most embarrassing one being right in the middle of my forehead. Slight slip of the rather on a WTG pass on my head and took a good little chunk out. Needless to say, the Astra is much sharper than the other blades I've tried so far. I will definitely be trying this one again.

I went a little crazy on the BST on Saturday. Think I spent almost $250 on various shaving gear. So hopefully in the next couple days in the mail I'll be expecting all of this.

MdC Unscented
MWF
Proraso White
Proraso Blue
Haslinger's Schafmilch
Pre de Provence
Pannacrema Lavandotto
RazoRock Eucalyptus 888

Unknown Ball end open comb DE
Muhle R41 2013
Black King 9/16 straight
Montgomery Ward & Co 9/16 straight
Star Shaving 3" Bridal leather with hard felt back strop

Whipped Dog Silvertip badger brush 22 knot, 45mm loft

That also means I'll probably be posting my stuff that I've decided against on the BST to try and recuperate some of the funds. I'm still looking for a few soaps though, so I may try and see if I can get someone to trade me. Looking for Cella, 3p and Proraso green.

All my BST buys are trickling in over the last couple days.

Tried the RR 888. Not a fan of the scent or the lather. Not sure I'm a fan of RR products at this point other than my Fresco and that is only because I enjoy the scent. I'm trading someone my XXX tub for a tub of P160. If I don't like that one, I think I'm gonna give up on Razorock.

Gave the same astra blade another go for a face shave with the 888 for the lather. Given that I didn't like the 888 I'm not sure that I can honestly judge the blades performance. It felt sort of dull. However, it did have a full face and head shave done with it a couple days ago, so maybe it just isn't a tough enough blade for my hair.

This has been a great thread to follow!

Like yourself, I am also a head shaver. I am pretty comfortable with the DE face shave now, but what would you suggest that could wean me from the Schck Extreme-3s that I am using on my head? They actually work great and I have zero complaints. It just seems weird to go from a good DE face shave to a plastic experience.

Last edited:
This has been a great thread to follow!

Like yourself, I am also a head shaver. I am pretty comfortable with the DE face shave now, but what would you suggest that could wean me from the Schck Extreme-3s that I am using on my head? They actually work great and I have zero complaints. It just seems weird to go from a good DE face shave to a plastic experience.

Honestly at this point I can't talk you into giving up the cart for your head for any other reason than cost. It costs less to do with a DE or straight. However, it takes me at least twice as long, and I am almost guaranteed to bleed. I'm stubborn, so I keep at it. I switch blades and soaps and prep methods hoping to get it right consistently one of these days. I'm still pretty new to this though, so I am far from perfecting my method. I know there are a lot of head shavers out there that exclusively use straights and DEs with great results, I'm just not one of them yet.

I will admit, I bought a headblade on eBay. Just to try. I can't justify the cart cost for my fusion, but if the blades on these last as long as I've read about, I may switch to this for my head.

This will set you up:

The Beer Soap Brewing Company non-tallow soap in the scent of your choice. If you can't lather this, you just can't lather.

Polsilver SI blades. Best. blade. ever.

I'll have to add the Beer Soap Brewing Company to the list. I also intend to try Polsilver blades among a few others once I run through a couple of each out of the sampler that I bought.

This may sound strange, but I sure wish my hair grew faster. I wish I could shave twice a day to test all this stuff out quicker. I'm eager to find what is right for me and be done testing all this stuff. Don't get me wrong, variety is great, but I'm finding the more I do this, the less I enjoy it. I just want to find my set up already! I'm terribly impatient

That little whiny rant is done for now. Tonight's face and head shave featured my new to me Whipped Dog silvertip badger brush, same Merkur 39c, Gillette 7 o'clock green blade and Martin de Candre unscented. My reflections for each are as follows

Whipped dog brush - Man this thing is soft! But still stiff enough for a face lather. I like it. It does feel a little small though.

Merkur 39c - I'm afraid I may be falling out of love with this razor. Still love the size/weight, but I am not a fan of how picky it is about blade angle. I've been using it for a while now, so I think it may be time to let another razor step up to the plate.

Gillette blade - Sharp! Well, not seemingly any sharper than the Astra, but much more so than the others I have tried. Not a bad shave, but I did bleed quite a bit on my head tonight. I'm blaming the razor at this point though, not the blade.

MdC unscented - Lathers exactly the same as the fougere. In my opinion, not the best for face lathering. I tried in a bowl, but I just don't like how the lather feels on my face when coming out of the bowl. My main disappointment with this soap, was how much it smelled like the fougere, nowhere close to unscented. I really wanted an earthy/soapy smell and I was still greeted with perfume. Not thrilled. I think I may try one more face shave to see if it irritates my skin like the fougere did. If so, this will also go in the pile of stuff to get rid of.

Tonight was a head and face shave. I usually shave every 3 or 4 days, just because I have no reason to shave more frequently, but my headblade came in the mail today and I was anxious to give this thing a run. So here are the details

Soap - MdC unscented. I like the scent, even though I still say it is not even close to being without perfume. However, I'm still not overly impressed with the lather. Yeah it is thick when I rub it between my fingers, but when shaving, it doesn't feel any more smooth than any of the other soaps I've enjoyed so far, for a much smaller price tag. I think this one will be retired as well as the fougere version.

Blade - For my face, I used the same Gillette I used for the last shave. I like this blade.

Razor - I used the Merkur 39c on my face. I'm gonna let this one go too. I don't know what it is, but no matter the blade I use, I always have a few hairs slide to the side of the blade and end up getting pulled out. Seems to be how the blade seats.

Headblade - I was really excited to open this thing and try it. They pitch it as such an easy way to shave your head. Well, first impression out of the box was that it is like a toy. Tiny. I have large hands, but I still expected this thing to be relatively substantial. It is not. I lathered up with MdC, and gave it a rip. 1st pass was okay. Fast. Really fast compared to DE/straight. No faster than my fusion though. 2nd pass was where it all went wrong. Just cruising along the top side of my head, it bit in and cut a landing strip about 1/4"x1". It has been years since I've bled that much from my head. Needless to say, this will not be used again. Couple pics attached so you can see how small it is.

$IMG_2052[1].jpg$IMG_2053[1].jpg

I realize I'm doing a lot of talking to myself here. Hope I'm not boring you guys with my play by play! If I am, well, you probably ought to stop following the thread, because I thoroughly enjoy doing this. Being able to look back on what I've tried is great.

Tonight was just a face shave. Still letting my head heal. Probably won't shave that again for a week or so. Still bleeding occasionally! No more headblade for me. Here are my details

Soap - RazoRock P.160 - I absolutely love the smell of this soap. Fantastic. However, I'm still not impressed with how RR products lather. I don't think I'll use this soap again, which sort of upsets me because of how great it smells. But no matter the scent, if the shave is no good, it has to go.

Blade - Shark Super Stainless. Favorite blade yet. Could also be the new razor, but either way, I really like this blade. Super smooth in just two passes.

Razor - Muhle R41 2013 version - Both awesome and awful. I really like how this thing shaves. Seriously my favorite yet. Can't wait to try it on my head. However, the handle is terrible. What looks like etching that might help you grip, is really just light superficial design. No substance to it either, it is very light. That may be your flavor, but not mine. I will probably try it a few more times as is before I go looking for a different handle.

So as for handles, I've seen a few names tossed around on the BST, but is there anyone who can suggest a handle that is similar in size to that of the Merkur 39c, with plenty of grip that I could get for the Muhle R41? Alternatively, is there any real science to building handles? I've been playing with metal for a number of years and wouldn't be opposed to fashioning a custom handle if it were relatively straight forward to figure balance, weight and the like.

Please tell me someone knows of a soap that smells like P.160 from another maker. I've seen it compared to Cella, Vitos, Acca Kappa, as well as a few others, but I'm curious if anyone knows first hand whether there is anything out there that smells like it. I saw a thread on another shave sight that mentioned mixing P160 and Vitos as well. Wonder if that would be worthwhile?

The way I have seen MdC worshippers laud this soap in other threads I'm surprised nobody has yet chimed in on this thread. It would not be the first example of a product that did not live up to the hype, but given the price it might be one of those products you hold onto for a little while and try again in the future. Maybe consult some user comments about lathering this soap. You might regret dumping it prematurely. On the other hand, I'll bet there will be no problem selling it on BST.

The way I have seen MdC worshippers laud this soap in other threads I'm surprised nobody has yet chimed in on this thread. It would not be the first example of a product that did not live up to the hype, but given the price it might be one of those products you hold onto for a little while and try again in the future. Maybe consult some user comments about lathering this soap. You might regret dumping it prematurely. On the other hand, I'll bet there will be no problem selling it on BST.

I am also a little surprised that I haven't received more comments on it. Honestly, regardless of how it performs for me, it irritates my skin in both the Fougere and Unscented versions. I'd be quite surprised if the Original was any different, so I don't think I will be hunting that down either. I'm compiling my list for the BST as I type this and I'm sure both of the MdC jars will sell rather quickly.

Not meaning to sound impertinent, but you're complaining a lot about your soaps. How are you lathering them? Have you tried the Marco method? What's your water like? Is it excessively hard? And have you tried Arko or the La Toja stick? I've had awesome results with these.

Not meaning to sound impertinent, but you're complaining a lot about your soaps. How are you lathering them? Have you tried the Marco method? What's your water like? Is it excessively hard? And have you tried Arko or the La Toja stick? I've had awesome results with these.

Not so much complaining as I am stating my thoughts. As with everything in life, different strokes for different folks. I do follow the Marco method. My water is hard out of the tap, but not very bad in my opinion compared to the well water I grew up with. I haven't tried Arko due to the overwhelming amount of people saying it smells like a urinal cake. I'm very sensitive to smells. As for La Toja, I'll add it to the list of soaps to try.

Another update for this evening. Shipped both of my containers of MdC off to their new owners, along with the Tabac and LA Shaving Co that I had tried. None made the cut, but I was almost a bit reluctant to get rid of the MdC just because of what I paid. I was able to recuperate most of it though, so not all bad.

As for my evening shave - just the face tonight.

Soap - CO Bigelow/Proraso cream. I was sent a very small sample of this by a member on the board. About the equivalent of a small carmex jar full. I wasn't sure it would be enough for a full shave. So I scooped about an almond size amount into my bowl, loaded the brush, then went to work on my face. This stuff was rather thirsty, but once I got the water right, wow did it give me the best lather I've had yet. Nothing I've used compares. Two passes later and I had enough left in the brush for at least 5 more. So it goes a long way too. I wasn't a huge fan of the scent though. I don't mind the tingle, but the smell wasn't awesome. Makes me look forward to trying my Proraso blue!

Blade - Big Ben. Not really impressed. Though honestly, I wasn't expecting to be. I had never even heard of these, they just came in my sample. I'd say it was on par with a Derby. I don't think I'll bother pushing on with this one.

Razor - Gillette New...I think. There are no stamps or markings other than the Gillette, but it looks like the ball end open comb pictures of the New razors I have seen. Definitely not a long comb though. Overall, the only thing I really like about this razor is the open comb. Very easy to rinse out. Beyond that though, it is too light and too small for my liking. Maybe if you strap a big handle to it, it might be better. I may try that eventually.

I've been searching the BST for a handle for my R41. I have been doing a lot of reading and thought I was set on a Weber Classic, but I saw a lot of people saying it felt too thin. I'm not looking for a fat handle, but not a thin one either. I do prefer longer handles. Do any of you have suggestions for long, heavy and sort of fat handles? I'd like something around 100mm long

Shave update. The morning after the last shave, my neck was badly irritated. I'm not sure what the culprit was. Doubt it was the razor. So more than likely either the blade or the CO Bigelow.

Tonight

Soap - Pannacrema Lavandotto - Smells pretty good. Earthy. Barely a hint of lavender though, which I was a bit disappointed about. Not an impressive lather though. Not a fantastic shave. I will say that my face feels very soft now, after the shave.

Blade - Second run with the Shark Super Stainless. Felt a little rough compared to the first shave, but that could have been the soap I used.

Razor - Muhle r41. Still really like this razor, except for the handle. If anyone has a long/heavy handle they are looking to sell, PM me! Something like the Weber Classic in length, and anything that size or a bit larger in diameter. I missed out on a weber with an Ikon head on the BST. Those things don't seem to last long when they go up for sale!

Shave update. Neck is still irritated from the last shave. Probably should have skipped for a few more days, but I was getting itchy.

Tonight

Soap - Proraso white tub. I was hoping I'd like this one, but alas, I don't. Smells like a hospital to me. Clean, but nothing pleasing. Lathered up well I thought, but felt rough shaving. Could partially have been because my blade was getting dull, but still seems like it was lacking.

Blade - 3rd run with the Shark Super Stainless. This thing was quitting on me halfway through the face shave. I pushed on through and did one pass on my head and had to call it quits. So not awesome life, but tolerable. Best shave was definitely the first though. I'll definitely try more of these blades.

Razor - Muhle R41. Same report as last time. I've still been hunting for a handle. A couple good ones have come up on the BST, but for trade only. Nobody likes cash I guess! I've also been considering an ATT Colossus. Someone else mentioned a Sabi T1. Just waiting for a second hand handle to come up for sale and last for more than 5 minutes on the BST.

I feel guilty. I know I shouldn't, but I do. When the Shark blade quit on me, instead of getting a new one, I pulled out my Fusion to finish my head. Man was that nice. Fast and BBS. Really, for my head, nothing compares. I may consider getting control of my AD and spending some money on bulk carts for my head instead of tons of soaps or new razors. I know that is like sacrilege here, but hey, if it works, it works!

I'm with the school of thought of buying a 15+ blade sampler and giving them a try. i found that I liked the Feather, Astra, and Gillette 7o'clocks

I'm with the school of thought of buying a 15+ blade sampler and giving them a try. i found that I liked the Feather, Astra, and Gillette 7o'clocks

I did something like that. Think it was actually a 100 blade sampler though. About 15 different brands with varying quantities of each. So far I've tried Crown, Lord, Derby, Gillette 7 o'clock green, Astra Super Platinum, Dorco, Wilkinson Sword and Shark Super Stainless. Only ones I intend to try again are the Gillettes, Astras and Sharks. Only after I give the rest of the brands a go though.

Neck is still irritated. After tonight, I will be skipping shaving until next week. That is going to be tough as I'm really trying to go through all these soaps I've purchased. Oh well!

Soap - Pre de Provence. Lathered very easily. Clean scent, but not something I'm in love with. Lather didn't stick around long. I had to reload the brush after two passes on the face, and on the head, the lather didn't even last through a single pass. I had to re lather 4 times for two passes. I'm undecided whether this will get a second go or not. Lathered easily, but wasn't awesome. Scent was okay but not enjoyable.

Blade - Treet Platinum Super Stainless. I was actually really surprised considering I've only seen bad reviews about Treet Carbon blades, and really nothing about these. This blade performed on par with the Astras and Gillettes. I'll definitely give this one another go.

R41 - Nothing new to report. Still searching for a handle. Reached out to a local machine shop to see what a custom handle would run.

Again, I finished my head shave with my fusion. Halfway through my second pass, the blade was skipping and catching. This seems to be the case every time. The first pass - a combination of WTG and XTG is just fine. It is only on my second pass - ATG that the razor fights me. It could be angle, or soap. I can never get a super slick lather with any soap on my head after the first pass. No clue why. Regardless, the pure ease of using my cart on my head is making me seriously consider ditching the DE for the head shave and going back to carts.

Finally shaved again tonight! Felt like forever. In my week long hiatus, I received quite a few creams and soaps in the mail. I've been test lathering them to identify whether the scents work for me or not. So far, Nancy Boy signature has been kicked out. Truefitt & Hill Lavender is on the edge.

Tonight's shave - just a face shave for the evening

Soap - TOBS Almond Cream. This stuff is awesome. Overly easy to lather. Smells great. Great cushion/slickness. Finally found something that I'm not on the edge about.

Blade - Treet Platinum Super Stainless. Second run on this blade and it is still good to go.

Razor - R41. Local machinist got back with me about a handle. Custom handle with simple knurling would be $65-75+tax. So ultimately, I'd be better off buying a Colossus or Weber Classic or Shaving.ie SE, etc.

Top Bottom