What's new

Forgive my ignorance but...

I have 10-15 different brushes. All budget conscious finds; however, i see brushes in the BST/e-stuff/web links going for hundreds of dollars. Is this just another rabbit hole or are those high end brushes really worth it??

For all of us suffering from BAD, it is really worth it. On a more serious note, typically the high end brushes offer higher quality knots as well as often more aesthetically pleasing handles.

I have somewhere over 50 brushes. Many I have made myself. I tend to be value aware but sometimes splurge. One I splurged on is a Kent BK8. They retail fro between $200 and $300. On each side of it on the shelf is an ACE 24 mm Silvertip with a white resin handle and an FS Alaska Faux Horn 26 mm Silvertip. Other than being able to argue that the Kent handle is prettier, the three brushes are equivilant. And I'm not sure the Kent really is prettier. I'm amused that the Kent doesn't sit flat. It rocks a little. The other two are completely flat. All I can really argue for the Kent is that it has a more distinguished label. The ACE was $30.00 and the FS was less than $40.00.

Like anything else, it is all a personal matter. Each individual has to decide for themselves if a high priced anything is worth it. I am not a big car fan, but I love woodworking tools and fancy shotguns (no, I don't have anything expensive in either category, I'm cheap and super budget minded). If money were no object, I would overload in both categories. If brushes are your thing, a high end brush might be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It's a rabbit hole so I'm not trying them out. I know once I get one, I'll have to try the other so I like the budget-minded brushes. Although I'm in the halfway by getting artisan-made brushes but at least they're under the 100 mark? Maybe I'm already in the rabbit hole... haha

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Personally, from my experience, I'll take one high end brush over 10 lesser ones. There is a difference to me. I prefer badger, but if synthetic, the Muhle Silvertip Fibre is the only one for me.

The high end brushes might (subjective matter) feel a little nicer, but I'm not convinced they perform better than some budget options. I do love using my M&F, Shavemac two-band silvertip, Simpsons Manchurian and Kent brushes, but on the other hand I also like my Yaqis which were a tenth the price. You can also get some poor performers in both price categories, but much more so in the budget section.

This is very similar to my experience with other items like tools in the shop, fly rods, etc., etc.

You can get a lather with a $5 brush or with a $500 brush. No doubt. The difference is that one may provide a better appearance or better feel for your face or in your hand. Whether this difference is worth the difference in price is totally up to you!!

This is very similar to my experience with other items like tools in the shop, fly rods, etc., etc.

You can get a lather with a $5 brush or with a $500 brush. No doubt. The difference is that one may provide a better appearance or better feel for your face or in your hand. Whether this difference is worth the difference in price is totally up to you!!

Very true. The concept applies to a lot of things. A fish has no idea whether it’s being caught using a $50 reel or a $500 reel.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Is a $20 bottle of wine worth it, or would you rather drink $10 wine? Can you tell the difference? If you can tell the difference, do you think the difference is worth the extra money?

Same with brushes, shoes, cars, etc.

To me they are worth it, but we all have our dollar limit. None of mine were over $200, and I have some really wonderful brushes that were under $100.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Have you tried a Shavemac or Simpson synthetic?
Not yet. Simpson is on my will probably try because many don't like it because they think it has too much backbone and that is one of my complaints with most synthetics is they lack backbone, or if they do have it are like slingshots with lather.

I don't know thing one about Shavemac.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Is a $20 bottle of wine worth it, or would you rather drink $10 wine? Can you tell the difference? If you can tell the difference, do you think the difference is worth the extra money?
I can tell a difference sometimes. Sometimes the $10 wine is better, sometimes the $20. It all depends on how big the difference is, assuming the more expensive is better.

Not yet. Simpson is on my will probably try because many don't like it because they think it has too much backbone and that is one of my complaints with most synthetics is they lack backbone, or if they do have it are like slingshots with lather.

I don't know thing one about Shavemac.

Shavemac is well known for their high-quality badger knots (Rudy Vey uses them in his custom made handles), and they make a very nice synthetic knot, as well.....and available in custom configurations (handle type and color, knot size and loft).

Top Bottom