What's new

Forgive Me, Tabac, For I Have Sinned!

I managed to grab a tub of the remaining stock of the original tallow based Tabac from BullGoose shaving. The pluses on it: it is the first soap that I've been able to get a really good lather out of, it provides a good shave, and with it for the first time ever I was able to get a good close shave without nicking myself once while shaving with a double edged razor, kind of a milestone for me. The minus: I really don't love the smell, I cannot describe the smell, I just know I don't like it (although, don't get me wrong, I don't absolutely hate it, the only smell I've hated among the soaps I've tried is MdC Vetyvre, I really don't like that smell and I'm glad I only bought a sample), since it just became a rare product, I'm only going to shave with it on occasion, but when I do, I will use a strong aftershave to offset the smell that I'm not a huge fan of. I am thankful the smell doesn't linger too long after the shave, though I did catch an occasional whiff 4 hours post shave.

Congrats on the first nick-free shave. Keep at it and it'll continue to improve.

Tabac's scent of a smoking grandma's handbag is love or hate. It certainly lathers well though!

I managed to grab a tub of the remaining stock of the original tallow based Tabac from BullGoose shaving. The pluses on it: it is the first soap that I've been able to get a really good lather out of, it provides a good shave, and with it for the first time ever I was able to get a good close shave without nicking myself once while shaving with a double edged razor, kind of a milestone for me. The minus: I really don't love the smell, I cannot describe the smell, I just know I don't like it (although, don't get me wrong, I don't absolutely hate it, the only smell I've hated among the soaps I've tried is MdC Vetyvre, I really don't like that smell and I'm glad I only bought a sample), since it just became a rare product, I'm only going to shave with it on occasion, but when I do, I will use a strong aftershave to offset the smell that I'm not a huge fan of. I am thankful the smell doesn't linger too long after the shave, though I did catch an occasional whiff 4 hours post shave.
I buy into the 'well matured puck' theory...aging it sure took the sting off the smell for me. :)

I shaved with it again yesterday...got some SV Opuntia that has been stealing the show, but Tabac definitely plays second fiddle and getting some good facetime in my shave done as of late.

Does anyone know whether their shave stick has changed? I have an old tallow one that I coincidentally started using again the other day.

I also have a barely used Irish Moos stick. I wish they still made that one.

Does anyone know whether their shave stick has changed? I have an old tallow one that I coincidentally started using again the other day.

I also have a barely used Irish Moos stick. I wish they still made that one.
Fairly certain it has, but NOS Tabac is still available in sticks and refills.
I would confirm with the store before actually pulling the trigger.

Fairly certain it has, but NOS Tabac is still available in sticks and refills.
I would confirm with the store before actually pulling the trigger.
I'm open to trying the new Tabac. It's not something I would consider stockpiling. Mitchell Wool Fat is the only soap I would panic buy.

I'm open to trying the new Tabac. It's not something I would consider stockpiling. Mitchell Wool Fat is the only soap I would panic buy.
Interestingly enough, The Fat's fragrance is much more feminine to my nose than Tabac. I say this because its smell has a striking similarity to that of an older woman (yes, a grandmother) that I worked for who was from Argentina; very fresh and powdery.

The aroma of Tabac to me conjures images of tweed in the 1980's

Interestingly enough, The Fat's fragrance is much more feminine to my nose than Tabac. I say this because its smell has a striking similarity to that of an older woman (yes, a grandmother) that I worked for who was from Argentina; very fresh and powdery.

The aroma of Tabac to me conjures images of tweed in the 1980's

I like MWF for its performance rather than scent. I definitely prefer the scent of Tabac. I use their deodorant stick every day and often the aftershave too.

I am trying to stockpile Irisch Moos aftershave. It was my favourite and I just learned they discontinue that too.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I am with you guys on this, and I can sum it up like this...

Tabac, I love your slick lather, that makes the morning so romantic. 😍

But Tabac, I don't love your flowery smell. :(

But like every good marriage, we compromise for the greater good. 🤝

And how much was the marriage worth, 💲24.99

With Tabac reformulation, how will I get a chance to try... what Tabac once was? Wait for a pass-around? Try to see if some comes up for sale?

With Tabac reformulation, how will I get a chance to try... what Tabac once was? Wait for a pass-around? Try to see if some comes up for sale?
Sales forum, annual Sue Moore auction or get lucky and find old stock online.

If you find it, buy it, it's awesome. From what I understand, the reformation is just as good, slightly different scent.

As for a soap pass-around.....🤮

If you are in the US, @Feldgrun, shoot me a PM and I will send you a sample of Tabac with tallow.

In my opinion, there is no better soap. You can also post a WTB on the BST. I know that this is hard to believe but there are people who don't share my opinion about Tabac. These are the people you want to find.

Not the biggest fan of the scent though it’s not offensive at all to me , I just can’t get over why the moos was cut , that scent was fantastic!

Top Bottom