What's new

Forgive me for what must be a frequent question, but best "room note"?

Let me suggest one more blend that is still avialable in a pouch in some markets, or from the online vendors previously mentioned: Velvet. It's a topped burley like most all the old OTC blends, but it isn't heavily flavored. It is a bit moist out of the pouch so some drying may be required. It has a nice, pleasant room note in an old-timey country store kind of way.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Order is in, so awaiting delivery. Right now I'm enjoying some "Trout Stream" although I don't know whose, there are a lot of them. I have a bunch of stuff in baggies in a tupperware with some Boveda bags I don't know where it came from.

But I made the mistake of sticking my nose into a tin of Nightcap, and a bag of Hearth & Home Magnum Opus.

😥

That's what I really want to smoke. But not inside the house. Not if I want to stay married.

Which I think I do. After 32 years.

But I am thinking about it, I admit. ;)

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Thank you guys! So I loaded up with PA in a corn cob last night while watching Jeopardy with SWMBO. She looked at me and said, “Really, you’re going to smoke in here?” First indoor smoke of the fall, she does that every year.

And then NO FURTHER COMMENT. Watched Jeopardy chatted a bit after, she never mentioned it again. Now it would be nice if she fell all over herself telling me how much she loves it. But I’ll take no griping as a BIG win.

I also have the CH, SWRA, Lane 1Q, Capt Black original, and H&H Trout Stream. 4 Noggins is great because you can get those smaller samples. Thanks to whoever suggested them!

I suspect there is a thread about this somewhere already, but do any of you mix and match these codger blends? I’m thinking PA and Capt Black might make a really nice smoke. If you have a recipe for one you like, please share it.

And thanks again for the advice. It used to be a long winter with no cigars until I started up on the pipe again last fall/winter. I’ve got an arsenal that may work this year!

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Thank you guys! So I loaded up with PA in a corn cob last night while watching Jeopardy with SWMBO. She looked at me and said, “Really, you’re going to smoke in here?” First indoor smoke of the fall, she does that every year.

And then NO FURTHER COMMENT. Watched Jeopardy chatted a bit after, she never mentioned it again. Now it would be nice if she fell all over herself telling me how much she loves it. But I’ll take no griping as a BIG win.

I also have the CH, SWRA, Lane 1Q, Capt Black original, and H&H Trout Stream. 4 Noggins is great because you can get those smaller samples. Thanks to whoever suggested them!

I suspect there is a thread about this somewhere already, but do any of you mix and match these codger blends? I’m thinking PA and Capt Black might make a really nice smoke. If you have a recipe for one you like, please share it.

And thanks again for the advice. It used to be a long winter with no cigars until I started up on the pipe again last fall/winter. I’ve got an arsenal that may work this year!

I've never mixed PA with anything ... and certainly never with CB.

It's your house, your pipe, and your rules. Try it and see how it goes for you. If you and your wife like something, that's all that matters.

One humble crumb of advice: try all of them for a time exactly as they are. These are formulae that were fashioned by the very best master blenders of their time, during the golden era of tobacco and pipe smoking, and they have stood the test of time as the best of their breed, in some cases for over a century. Their lasting endurance into the 21st Century is the proof. They were not quickly concocted in a kitchen over a weekend, but emerged from dozens if not hundreds of trial and error iterations. There's a reason some of them have numbers attached to them ... that's how many times it took to get it just so. Give them a chance to strut their stuff, and go from there. You may find a couple you cannot better no matter what you add to them.

Happy puffs!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Lane 1-Q is also a winner, thanks @Whisky ! Daughter was over for dinner last night and she loved it. As with the PA, wife did not complain. She's not going to gush over it, but if I don't get any blowback, I'm good. You guys were a huge help, thanks! I probably would not have thought of the codger blends had you not steered me there.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I smoke Captain Black original in my pipe. Wife just picked me up some Captain Black cherry which could be interesting. Or horrible!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
@ylekot this crowd just turned me on to "codger blends". Stuff I never took very seriously, because when I started smoking a pipe I thought you had to go to a "pipe store". I lived in Chicago, so I started at Iwan Ries and never paid any attention to the stuff at Walgreens.

They're really great! I got samples of Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, and Carter Hall along with one Capt Black original (white pkg). So far, I prefer the PA, SWRA over the CB, and have not yet tried the CH. But they steered me right! The War Department hasn't griped a bit so far!

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
@ylekot this crowd just turned me on to "codger blends". Stuff I never took very seriously, because when I started smoking a pipe I thought you had to go to a "pipe store". I lived in Chicago, so I started at Iwan Ries and never paid any attention to the stuff at Walgreens.

They're really great! I got samples of Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, and Carter Hall along with one Capt Black original (white pkg). So far, I prefer the PA, SWRA over the CB, and have not yet tried the CH. But they steered me right! The War Department hasn't griped a bit so far!
The AD that is trying to kick in may result in a revolt here:a7::a46::lol:

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

If you ever pulled aside Kevin at IR and privately asked him, he would confide that he still sells a lot of OTC, even there.

It's like the upscale meat market, where they put the best prime rib and filet minion cuts in the front window (and hope to sell as much of that as they can), but they still sell a ton of ground beef at the back counter.

We love our prime rib and lobster. But most nights, it's meatloaf or chicken.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
proxy.php

Wow! So after about 4-5 nights of smoking a pipe while watching Jeopardy, the War Department finally speaks tonight.

"Why does a cigar stink for days after you have one, but those pipes don't? I don't smell them in the morning when I come down?"

I told her I honestly do not know, I just know that a cigar has to be done outside because it will get into EVERYTHING and stink up the house. A pipe (well the tobaccos you guys steered me to) won't.

Then I took a chance and asked if she liked the pipe I was smoking (cob with H&H Trout Stream), and she said yes! Then she suggested ... well nevermind.

I think I'm over the hump here, boys. It was your Codger Blend suggestions that did it. Give up My Mixture 965, Night Cap, H&H Magnum Opus, even the Frog Morton (what little I have left). The Codgers plus 1-Q and Trout Stream did the trick! I'm In Like Flint now!

Top Bottom