What's new

Forget Jacks, which soap based are your Master of All Trades?

Which soap base has your highest combination of slickness, water retention, lather density/cushion, post-shave, and any other performance-related category I missed? What else comes close but misses the mark of the bases you chose?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Any product that's popular here will produce a phenomenal lather and shave. You're really splitting hairs trying to compare them. Beyond that it depends on preferential criteria like whether you prefer high or low structure lather and whether post shave feel is important to you due to oily/dry/average skin.

I like ... in no particular order...

Tallow & Steel
La Toja Stick
Haslinger
CK-6
Mike's Naturals
Noble Otter
Stirling mutton tallow
SoftHeart
Kaizen
Milksteak
Kodiak
Siero
Sego
Nai
Kairos
Speick stick
SV

The soaps I have, PAA CK-6 wins hands down....extraordinary performance for me. Love their scents as well.

Some others come close like B&M, A&E, Tabac, Stirling, but just don't quite have the total package that the PAA CK-6 brings to the table.

Last edited:
As mentioned above, it really is impossible to get a bad lather from all of the talked about soaps here. Since performance is so great in just about every base, I kind of just settled on ones that lathered easiest for me and had scents that I liked (Stirling, Mikes, Southern Witchcrafts, CK6 and of course Tabac)

AdP v3 and SMN v3 hit all the marks, ime.
Same goes for MdC, although those with dry skin might not (I do) appreciate the post-shave.
Williams is very good, but slickness is unstable (i.e. lather breaks down fast).
MWF is very good, but leaves a significant amount of residue on hardware/sink.

(Tallow TAOS hits all the marks, but unfortunately discontinued.)

I've shaved with Williams, Tabac, Proraso and plain old Tallow based Dove soap and got the same result with each, a great shave. My go to soaps are:
Cella/Vito's (Kilo)
Arko (bowl pressed)
And sometimes Van Der Hagan

I just about burned myself out looking for a soap that works better for me than Stirling. I found a couple soaps I really like that can equal the performance I get from Stirling, but none truly surpassed it.

I like the tallow based Viking Shaving Soaps the best.
You have to check the website periodically
because he only lists the ones which aren't sold out at the time.

Last edited:

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I go back and forth on soaps and enjoy many listed here. A current favourite is D.R. Harris Windsor. I’ve been going to it more lately. User friendly, slick, triple milled, tallow based, fine scent and pleasing post shave feel.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Soaps that never let me down in terms of shave performance:

Mitchell's Wool Fat
Haslinger
Edwin Jagger mug soaps
DR Harris soaps/sticks
The Goodfellas Smile mug soaps
Wickhams 1912
Phoenix & Beau tallow soaps
St James of London (specifically Black Pepper and Lime)
Erasmic cream
Lea shave stick

The ones that spring to mind, which I tried, but which didn't impress, include:
Martin de Candre, Saponificio Varesino, Taylors of Old Bond Street Cream, George Trumpers, Cyril Salter, La Toja.

Top Bottom