What's new

Forget Gillette, the Men's Anti Gillette Association

Trying hard to figure out what the main objection is to the commercial. Here's what I saw depicted: bullying, objectification of women, lack of respect for others, abusive behavior. Then they essentially said that those things are bad.

So, which of those things are you supportive of? The bullying? The objectification of women? Lack of respect for others? Abusive behavior?

Or are you just saying that you don't think a corporation should be using its platform to ask people to behave better?

Wait, I think I've got it.......you are offended because you think the company is saying that all men are bulllies and objectify women?

I don't know. I don't have a problem with the ad.

Having said that, I shaved this morning with a Feather SS shavette loaded with a Feather blade (both made in Japan and not by Gillette or any company remotely related to P&G), and my soap was RazoRock (also not associated with Gillette). I chose these products, however, because they work for me, not because I was trying to teach Gillette a lesson.

Trying hard to figure out what the main objection is to the commercial. Here's what I saw depicted: bullying, objectification of women, lack of respect for others, abusive behavior. Then they essentially said that those things are bad.

So, which of those things are you supportive of? The bullying? The objectification of women? Lack of respect for others? Abusive behavior?

Or are you just saying that you don't think a corporation should be using its platform to ask people to behave better?

Wait, I think I've got it.......you are offended because you think the company is saying that all men are bulllies and objectify women?

I don't know. I don't have a problem with the ad.

Having said that, I shaved this morning with a Feather SS shavette loaded with a Feather blade (both made in Japan and not by Gillette or any company remotely related to P&G), and my soap was RazoRock (also not associated with Gillette). I chose these products, however, because they work for me, not because I was trying to teach Gillette a lesson.
Gillette has absolutely no right to tell anyone how to behave. The advert also makes it seem like all men behave badly and that they all are "toxicaly masculine".
The majority of men are good people who take care of their kids, their wives or girlfriends and treat them respectfully. Instead of celebrating what makes men great Gillette decided to tear them down and make all of them seem like bad People.

You have a right to not be offended by that advert but other people have the same right to find it offensive, so please respect that.

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

Gillette has absolutely no right to tell anyone how to behave. The advert also makes it seem like all men behave badly and that they all are "toxicaly masculine".
The majority of men are good people who take care of their kids, their wives or girlfriends and treat them respectfully. Instead of celebrating what makes men great Gillette decided to tear them down and make all of them seem like bad People.

You have a right to not be offended by that advert but other people have the same right to find it offensive, so please respect that.

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the explanation. I guess I just saw it differently.

I agree, in general, that it is not the function of a company like Gillette to tell me how to live my life. I agree, too, that it is unfair/ridiculous to imply that pretty much all men are bad. If that's how you saw the ad, I can see how it might be offensive to you (and others).

Back to the regularly scheduled show: today I shaved with a RazoRock Lupo, Treet Durasharp blade, Palmolive lather, RazoRock Bruce brush, and Clubman Vanilla.

How badly will this juvenile feelgood 'boycott' affect P&G's dividend payout to their stockholders?

May as well also put a "No Girlz Allowed" sign on my shave lab, for what good it will do.

The ad aired in January 2019. At the end of the quarter, P&G made profit. Gillette was their only (AFAIK) major subsidiary that posted a huge loss - $8 bln in just that one quarter alone. They've been in the red for something like three years, but the sheer size and timing of this write off is telling. Also, while Gillette refused to even mention the ad and the resulting backlash as a contributor to their loss, they did announce a major change in their overall advertisement strategy from promoting social issues to "local heroes". Just coincidental, of course...

Thanks for the explanation. I guess I just saw it differently.

I agree, in general, that it is not the function of a company like Gillette to tell me how to live my life. I agree, too, that it is unfair/ridiculous to imply that pretty much all men are bad. If that's how you saw the ad, I can see how it might be offensive to you (and others).

The majority of men in the ad are the examples of bad behavior. Only one man (a minority) is not. Clearly the implication is that men as a group are generally misbehaving and need to be reformed. Also, even though it's been a while since I saw the ad, I am pretty sure that it uses a term "toxic masculinity" which is an extremely offensive and sexist concept all and by itself.

Certainly enough people saw this ad as a slanderous gender based attack to create a backlash.

This condescending and misguided moralization was especially appalling coming from a company that just recently was exposed profiting from the use of child slave labor in third world.

Well, anyway, thanks to that ad I've been wet shaving since February and love it... so all is good.

Last edited:
I have just under a half bottle of Old Spice after shave. I am going to 3017 it just to use it up. After that, I will have no other P&G products.

Companies should not tell us anything about how to behave? I thought that was the whole purpose of advertising.

The purpose of commercial advertising is to promote a product.

If you try to push a political or social message, be ready for consequences. Especially when it’s an attack ad targeted at your main customer base.

I think you mean "they," not "you."

New Gillette 👎

Vintage Gillette wasn't of the same toxic undertones and can't be blamed, they were the exact opposite as they celebrated and supported masculinity. Therefore...I have Techs...and someone gifted me a 100 pack of 7 o'clock greens ... cant really throw that away...can I?

That's your decision to make, NPK. I've often thought about buying vintage Gillette, but ultimately decided against it. There are many great products that aren't Gillette out there.
On the positive side, I've finished with my Old Spice aftershave. No more P&G products in my house.

That's your decision to make, NPK. I've often thought about buying vintage Gillette, but ultimately decided against it. There are many great products that aren't Gillette out there.
On the positive side, I've finished with my Old Spice aftershave. No more P&G products in my house.

While true, as stated my objection is how Gillette would use my money if I did business with them. It doesn't line their pockets to purchase a vintage razor. It's also why I'm using down my Gillette stock, purchased before they figured they could sell by insulting their intended market.

Have recently tried something called a Bic Us razor. Cartridge beats the Fusion all to pieces. Nice, sweet, shave.

I'm in. I can't really avoid P&G, but as long as the Gillette balance sheet isn't doing great, I'm happy. When you see cartridges designed in 1977 being sold for $20 for a 10 pack, something has to give.

I've been tracking different blades in a spreadsheet, trying to find what I like. Anything related to Gillette loses 2 points, but I might as well deduct even more. I'm not going to buy them, either way. So far I've found at least 3 blades that work great for me and aren't made by Gillette. I'm sure I'll find more as I keep experimenting.

I must’ve been spending around $12 monthly on Gillette. Cartridges, shaving gel, aftershave, deodorant (I’m one of the few weirdos that like gel deodorants). I’ve been basically paying a subscription price, without realising it.

I‘ve been spending zero on their products since the ad came out. And, I discovered that there's a great choice of products that's both better and cheaper.

I'm back to cartridges after a year of wet shaving, and still finding better and cheaper products. Even with carts, my monthly cost is less than $3, but more importantly, every part of my shaving is better than what I had with Gillette.

Carts - using Schick Xtreme. It’s sharper and longer lasting than any Gillette cart I’ve ever used. There’s also Bic that I heard great things about. Less than $1 per razor, and i am getting 6-7 weeks of daily shaving from one until it gets a little tuggy. I am finding that Schick razors hold their edge very well, it’s the lubricant that gives out after a week or so.

Soap - using Arko sticks. Nothing else ever gave me the same quality of shave, and I think this contributes to the longevity of blades. I tried other soaps but keep coming back to it. $1 per stick and it lasts well over 6 months - I lost track.

Aftershave - one of the biggest shaving related issues I’ve always had was the sticky feeling I‘d get on my skin a couple hours after shaving, which I hated. Gillette Cool Wave was one of the few a/s that wasn’t too bad, but it still gave me this sensation. Best of worst, so to say. After Gillette, it was Adidas, still the same sticky feeling, just not as bad as most others. Then I decided to try some old time brands, just for fun. Well... Brut was decent, Barbasol - not my cup of tea, Stetson - ok, Aqua Velva Ice Blue... holy @#$& !!! Zero, and I mean zero sticky feeling the entire day. The perfect a/s for me, which I would likely never found out if not for Gillette.

So, thank you Gillette for pushing me to explore my options after over twenty years of just buying your products. Not ever coming back.

Last edited:
Top Bottom