What's new

Forget About BBS For a Better Shave

After 27 years of wet shaving(and 2 with a safety razor) I have come to the following conclusion. For the average man, a BBS shave is a hard thing to get. We are asking a lot of our razors(and ourselves) to think that all of us can get this result all the time. Now there are movie icons such as Cary Grant and Sean Connery who always seemed to have just the perfect BBS shave. The truth is some men have very tough, durable skin that is not prone to irritation. A friend of mine is like this. Heck, Mantic seems to be like this too. Just the way it is. Some kids get pimples and some don't. But seems to me that the average man is prone to irritation and ingrowns from time to time. I am. My skin is very sensitive and I cannot get a BBS shave on my neck without some downside. So I have forgotten the whole concept of BBS. Not going to happen for me. Instead I concentrate on my technique with WTG and XTG . And you know what? I've gotten the best results of my life with no irritation. So could it be we put too much emphasis sometimes on BBS? Could this be pushing some people,especially beginners, towards poor shaves? Something to think about.

I agree. The day I gave up ATG on my cheeks and chin (neck and upper and lower lip are not a problem) and going for 100% BBS was the day I started truly enjoying shaving. It was also the day I said goodbye to weepers and ingrowns.

I'll take an irritation-free DFS, CCS, or even SAS over a BBS shave that leaves my face feeling raw all day long.

I have to agree with this, but I'm still new. I view the BBS as an "ideal" to shoot for without necessarily getting their. Besides, my hair grows so fast, the initial extra closeness would only mean that my 5:00 shadow starts at noon instead of 11:00am. :biggrin1:

Amen...preach on, brother. The best shaves I've ever had were barbershop shavette shaves. They weren't BBS, but they were very close and incredibly comfortable. I have also had BBS in all directions. My face was on fire immediately after, and then I had a huge breakout and couldn't shave for days.

There is really no visible difference between a BBS and a DFS...the biggest difference is when you run your hand along the skin, particularly against the grain. Totally smooth used to be the dream for me, now I just want a BBS with the grain in every direction, and only a little resistance when I run my hand against the grain.

GS

Cary Grant and Sean Connery have access to a crew of makeup artists whenever they're in front of a camera, you can bet their skin isn't perfect like that every day.

I agree. I shoot for DFS most days and even SCS sometimes if I feel that irritation might be an issue that day. I accomplish BBS once in a while on a DFS day though, but not because I'm trying. Sometimes you just have a good day and get lucky.:biggrin1:

I don't like the taut feel of my skin with a BBS shave. It feels unnatural to someone who only shaves every other day at most. I even sold one of my DE's because it consistently gave me too close a shave. I'll take a nice CCS shave with DFS for special occasions.

I fully agree, and have long said that I think aiming for a BBS shave is basically pointless.

Just who is the BBS shave for?

The average person you interact with couldn't care less about your shave, as long as you have no visible patches of stubble, and nothing that draws their attention to it (still bleeding cuts, deep gashes to your face from a straight shaving mishap).

If you need to look professional for work, a SAS (socially acceptable shave) is all that is required, and that can be accomplished in roughly two passes.

Can you SO tell the difference between a DFS, and a BBS?

If not, you are causing yourself potentially lots of irritation chasing the BBS dream, for just about no benefit.

Give me a CCS with no irritation everyday, and I will be fully happy. :thumbup1:

I can go ATG with my DE no problem. I'm trying to go ATG with my straight and that has been tough/painful/humiliating. Today I did an experiment to see just how much of a difference ATG makes. I shaved one cheek ATG with my DE, and on cheek XTG with my straight.

Given my current level of technique, the ATG cheek was cleaner, but not by much.

I still think I want to aim for BBS or at least I want to aim for that degree of closeness. I don't care if I feel stubble, but a clean face is something I want.

I'm going to have to disagree here, although I do agree with getting a BBS for the average guy being difficult and something that may never happen. I personally am quite happy with my CCS and DFS.

But barring irritation, skin reaction, pimples etc, does this mean you shouldn't try? Isn't this like accepting second best because the best is diffictult to do and may not happen?

I'm going to have to disagree here, although I do agree with getting a BBS for the average guy being difficult and something that may never happen. I personally am quite happy with my CCS and DFS.

But barring irritation, skin reaction, pimples etc, does this mean you shouldn't try? Isn't this like accepting second best because the best is diffictult to do and may not happen?

I'll second this post. My whole reason for switching was a better closer shave, so why would I not do the best I can? I can tell when to stop to prevent irritation though after enough to know better.

After 27 years of wet shaving(and 2 with a safety razor) I have come to the following conclusion. For the average man, a BBS shave is a hard thing to get. We are asking a lot of our razors(and ourselves) to think that all of us can get this result all the time. Now there are movie icons such as Cary Grant and Sean Connery who always seemed to have just the perfect BBS shave. The truth is some men have very tough, durable skin that is not prone to irritation. A friend of mine is like this. Heck, Mantic seems to be like this too. Just the way it is. Some kids get pimples and some don't. But seems to me that the average man is prone to irritation and ingrowns from time to time. I am. My skin is very sensitive and I cannot get a BBS shave on my neck without some downside. So I have forgotten the whole concept of BBS. Not going to happen for me. Instead I concentrate on my technique with WTG and XTG . And you know what? I've gotten the best results of my life with no irritation. So could it be we put too much emphasis sometimes on BBS? Could this be pushing some people,especially beginners, towards poor shaves? Something to think about.

I think your best shot at a BBS safety razor shave is with a Merkur Slant. Personally, I get more with the same strokes I make with a regular safety razor. You might consider trying one if you have not done so before.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I think, in all cases, no one should shave with an expecting goal of getting a BBS. That's how one nick/cut/irritate their face...

I have to agree. I can get a BBS shave but it takes me such a long time and in the end causes a lot of irritation but I get a CCS no problem every day with 2 quick passes and its much better than I could ever get with a cartridge razor.

Too often I find myself doing more passes for a better shave, and irritating my skin. This is partly due to still needing to sharpen up my technique, I'm sure. Good advice!

I have thought this on more than one occasion. I definitely do not get a BBS shave, but I am ecstatic that I'm getting the best shaves I ever have, consistently and for about 3 or 4 years running.

I chased after the BBS shave the first 4 months of starting DE. It was a mixture of agony and fun. But then I got over it and just "shave" for the next 3 month.

After 6+months I occasionally go back to get a BBS, when I have the time. Purely for the enjoyment of DE shaving! My skin is loving it!

Top Bottom