What's new

Forged in fire 🔥

This is gonna look weird: An Indian posting about and out-and-out American show on History TV. I just love Forged in Fire so much!

I've followed it for the last 5 years religiously, probably the only Indian to bootleg copies of the new show when they're not franchised back home. I love all 3 rounds: the blade forge, fit and finish and testing and the final special weapon forging and testing.

My favorite episodes are the Claymore part II, the Boar Spear and the Nodachi. I just look forward to the day when smiths will be asked to forge a damascus Straight Razor to shave David Baker's goatee!

I’ve ripped about every episode from my TiVo and loaded them onto my Plex server. During the day when I’m working I just let them go on shuffle as background noise. When I feel like a break I just look up and watch.

My favorite episode was the Landsknecht sword.

When that thing started singing,
I thought somebody was leaning on the censor button
to cover up a string of obscenities.

I remember it singing louder on the show than on the YouTube.

The show is definitely addictive. I'm a fan. It's kind of funny. My wife and I find ourselves wondering aloud if the contestants even take the time to watch the episodes when they do something that is cringeworthy in the judges eyes--like dipping the blade in water, or not letting the white-out dry prior to adding the steel and flux during the [canister] Damascus process.

Last edited:
The show is definitely addictive. I'm a fan. It's kind of funny. My wife and I find ourselves wondering aloud if the contestants even take the time to watch the episodes when they do something that is cringeworthy in the judges eyes--like dipping the blade in water, or not letting the white-out dry prior to adding the steel and flux during the [canister] Damascus process.
You would be surprised at the stuff people use while quenching their blades! There was a guy in my forge class who said he wanted to build a Kilij worthy of Vlad Dracula himself.

He made a sabre and tried quenching it in, I kid you not: Pig's blood stabilized with EDTA! It resulted in one of the worst odors I can ever remember! And the blade itself took such an extreme warp, he had to just bin it. But it did look cool when washed off, red stains literally running through the body of the steel.

When our instructor saw it, he said we were probably better off using urine. Something to do with the ammonia content.

Love that show! Try and get hold of Forged in Fire: Beat the Judges, whichever contestant wins has to face off with one of the judges as the final round. If the judge wins the prize money goes to a charity.

I like the episodes that pit past champions against each other. I also like it when a real hillbilly wins a regular show even though their home forges are very rudimentary. Great show.

Same, one of my favorites was a Filipino contestant who did everything by hand, built his forge out of a satellite dish, a cast iron frying pan and a hair dryer in his back garden, had the fire department turn up to ask him what he was doing and still won!

You would be surprised at the stuff people use while quenching their blades! There was a guy in my forge class who said he wanted to build a Kilij worthy of Vlad Dracula himself.

He made a sabre and tried quenching it in, I kid you not: Pig's blood stabilized with EDTA! It resulted in one of the worst odors I can ever remember! And the blade itself took such an extreme warp, he had to just bin it. But it did look cool when washed off, red stains literally running through the body of the steel.

When our instructor saw it, he said we were probably better off using urine. Something to do with the ammonia content.
Wow...Pigs blood...The show has sparked delusions of grandeur....Heat treating is on of the things they glaze over...

I was a little disappointed to see that Wil Willis was not hosting the show last night. No disrespect to his replacement, but I will miss him if he is not planning on returning. (I don't have any further knowledge/details regarding Wil Willis.)

Top Bottom