What's new

Forever Home Setup

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Looks like this is it for me. Mrs. OldSaw and I have built our last and final residence. We‘ve been moved in for a few months now. It was a daunting task (the whole thing, the build, the move, downsizing, wintering through in a three season cottage, etc.). I snapped this pic the other day when I realized that this is about it for me. This is what I use most days.

The Omega brush on top of the MWF is my go to first choice most days. I picked it up in Barcelona Spain. The rust stained one to the right is my first shave brush and I still use it occasionally. It is a Surrey brand boar, circa 1983. The black and white handle is another favorite that was a gift from @brianw a few years ago.

Two soaps and the occasional cream are the norm. I really haven’t found much to top Mitchell’s Wool Fat and Tabac. There’s a tub of AOS shave cream that I got on clearance and I have a puck of TOBS lavender soap in a wooden bowl. I really enjoyed a tub of Santa Maria Novella creme da barba some years ago, but the reformulations have kept me from replacing it.

The razor is a Jagger DE89 with a custom stainless steel handle. I might buy a Henson, as that is about the only thing that intrigues me these days.

Not pictured is a bottle of Speick aftershave splash. It is my go to. I have very few others.

Thanks for reading.
80D551C2-9345-48DD-9AB2-C51AA635753D.jpeg

This looks very laid back and enjoyable without overthinking the whole thing :thumbsup:

Not to be a scaremonger but there are a couple of threads on the current reformulation of Tabac - the tallow is gone.

No final verdict on the performance yet but you might want to check your stock.

Congratulations! Great kit and, most important, you have figured out what works for you. :a29:

I only hope you have enough Tabac in stock. They discontinued the older (and most excellent) tallow base.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Congratulations! Great kit and, most important, you have figured out what works for you. :a29:

I only hope you have enough Tabac in stock. They discontinued the older (and most excellent) tallow base.

Wait, what!? That’s what I get for not staying on top of things, I guess. I would have bought about three dozen if I had known.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
There might still be some old stock around but it’s dwindling fast.

Well, looks like the price went through the roof too. I hate buying online during a reformulation because I don’t want to pay the high price and get a bunch of the new formula.

I’m not familiar with them. Do they ship to the US?

Sorry, physical stores (Brick&Mortar) in contrast to online vendors.

So I went in and weeded out the remaining tallow pucks from the restocked new versions.

In the US Pasteurs keep tallies on the remaining tallow and can advise via phone on a purchase.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Nice set up. Congratulations on finding out what works for you and sticking with it. Wish I could go back a few years. I would have saved a small fortune.

^^^
Sorry, but I see no evidence of a formula change. The last block I purchased from Connaught (Aug. 2020) was clearly labeled and contained tallow. Gifts & Care carries the whole line, and they state that the soap contains tallow.

Looks like Connaught sold out of Vitos. Maybe they're dropping the line.

^^^
Sorry, but I see no evidence of a formula change. The last block I purchased from Connaught (Aug. 2020) was clearly labeled and contained tallow. Gifts & Care carries the whole line, and they state that the soap contains tallow.

Connaught cleared out a lot of EU-based products as part of the Brexit changes. They have drastically reduced their selection. The future is not clear right now.

^^^

You might be right. The 500ml tubes are tallow free and so are the 150ml tubs with the premium scents. The 1kg blocks - where available - show tallow but some of my goto European vendors are sold out now for ages…

Maybe Susan Darnell/Vitos had some production issues and that’s why the availability is so spotty…

@zoidberg mentioned a newer product catalogue that shows more tallow free bases.

Top Bottom