What's new

Forced Patina On Carbon Steel Straight?

i am considering trying something out on a couple of inexpensive carbon steel straights. while these are probably not like my 52100 kramer by zwilling chef's knife which took a forced patina very well, i wanted to find out if anyone has tried this on their straights to keep the corrosion down. fyi...i forced a patina on my 52100 steel knife with vinegar and multiple applications of mustard. i know, it sounds crazy, but my knife has NEVER rusted, even if i leave it wet in the sink.

whoops, i posted this in the wrong category. i will repost in the straights forum. sorry, but i could not delete this post.

You can also rust blue, which at its roots is basically just a very uniform patina. I have done several formerly troublesome (rust-wise) razors with rust bluing and they don't rust in normal use either.

Like eKretz I have blued several with ease. I have put some really rough ones in rust remover and they come out parkerized until I take all that off. They may all oxidize a little differently but if you are talking about carbon steel you should be able to.

Top Bottom