What's new

Forced Patina On A Carbon Steel Straight Razor

i am considering trying something out on a couple of inexpensive carbon steel straights. while these are probably not like my 52100 kramer by zwilling chef's knife which took a forced patina very well, i wanted to find out if anyone has tried this on their straights to keep the corrosion down. fyi...i forced a patina on my 52100 steel knife with vinegar and multiple applications of mustard. i know, it sounds crazy, but my knife has NEVER rusted, even if i leave it wet in the sink.

I've forced a patina on a couple Ka-Bar Becker knives with good results both in terms of looks and preventing rust.

Try it out! You can always polish them again if you don't like the results.

52100 contains 1.5% chromium and is usually considered one of the least reactive carbon steels. It's unlikely to rust whether you force a patina or not.

Forcing a patina on simple carbon would give you a little moisture protection but not enough protection to leave the razor lying around wet.

You are unlikely to damage the knife, but you will probably kill the edge unless you mask it or something. But it would be quick to bring it back on a finishing stone.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I’ve forced patina on knives, mostly pocket knives with good success. My carbon kitchen knives will naturally patina if I don’t polish them up occasionally.

The question that’s interesting is why are your razors rusting? I’ve got a LOT of razors and have only had one tiny spot of rust, on a spine, ever develop. That was a bit of a fingerprint I think. Polished hard carbon steel doesn’t rust that easily if it’s kept clean and dry in storage/between uses.

I also have a Seraphim Gold Dollar custom that looks like it’s Parkerized.

i am considering trying something out on a couple of inexpensive carbon steel straights. while these are probably not like my 52100 kramer by zwilling chef's knife which took a forced patina very well, i wanted to find out if anyone has tried this on their straights to keep the corrosion down. fyi...i forced a patina on my 52100 steel knife with vinegar and multiple applications of mustard. i know, it sounds crazy, but my knife has NEVER rusted, even if i leave it wet in the sink.
I believe that this is not necessary, usually after sharpening, the razor is washed, wiped dry and oiled. Then this oil is wiped again. It is clogged in micropores and the razor does not rust if it is not provoked:)

Steve56

Seraphim’s razor.

EACA5518-247E-4686-9148-556F102AD18A.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
It might work out, but the thing to remember is, the edge, which is the part of the blade most damaged by corrosion, would not have the coating. Kind of defeats the purpose, IMO.

Let them be, they naturally develop their own character over time. Wrt rust, I dry all my razor with a hair dryer after every shave followed by linen and leather stropping. I dont use oil and never had any problems. Caveat: I am landlocked in a warm climate which helps.

Steve56

I clean mine with a bit of jnat slurry (slurry from a Japanese natural whetstone created with a diamond plate) on a square of non-scratchy paper towel. One of the main uses of Japanese stones is to polish swords, so this is an adaptation of that use for them. It completely removes all soap residue so the steel does not patina. It’s also safe for gold wash.

There's an iridescent patina on my Case Temperite 25,
which I like the look of.
There is a slightly similar one starting at the toe of my
Green Lizard.
I think the Green Lizard is natural;
I don't know about the Temperite, may be a factory finnish.
If I knew how to force it, I would consider it.

DSCN0858b.jpg
DSCN0859b.jpg
DSCN0861b.jpg

I did that years ago to an old rifle receiver with an old timer teaching me a procedure called case hardening. Oddly enough, I get a similar but more ephemeral version on carbon steel kitchen knives by slicing hot poultry with clean and freshly polished steel. How they did it on that razor (if not some coloration just from age) I cannot say. But this is how I have achieved that look on other carbon steels.

Color case hardening would be completely inappropriate for razors - the temperature would ruin the temper on the steel.

you could slow rust blue them if you were feeling ambitious. Then, the bevel would make a really striking silver line along the blue/black of the finish. A well done slow rust blue finish actually has a nice rainbow effect deep under the dark blue/black it’s quite lovely, and very effective at protecting from rust, but it’s also a lot of effort

I am speculating that the coloring of the razors may have been
caused by nitric acid formed from decomposition
of the celluloid in the scales.

Top Bottom