What's new

For what exactly ?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
^^^Exactly !
So,that leaves me with a question ...
For what exactly ?
Do I pay the cost of a great tool ,or I’m obligated to pay also for the brand,status-quo ,fetishism and/or collectability of a x razor bears ?

Even if it’s made from inferior materials,just to make things worse ...
There is no reason why the retail price of a razor, or any other product, must have any relation to the cost of manufacture. A company will often charge whatever they think they can get away with an eye on their target market and whatever the competition are charging. The customer is free to purchase at that price if they think the value is there, or not purchase if they do not. What the customer values may be anything at all, often totally unrelated to manufacturing cost, or performance relative to cheaper products. There does not have to be a reason or explanation other than that and often there isn't.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Good points and questions here. Theres no right answer. Im not sure people consider the difference between ss metal make up. One thing for me is product availability. That factors in so all things considered do i buy a great cnc ss model for $100 now and get it on demand. Or wait a year or more to obtain the "high end or demand" razor? Personally i want it when i want it. That means i buy more available models so that plays into my purchasing rationalizing.

@EclipseRedRing
Well said ,also.

Still,I have every right as a consumer to think that some
manufacturers ,since they are lowering the production cost of a product (303 is by far more gentle to cutting tools than 316L,thus they can be used to machine far more pieces) but still sell it at high retail prices ,
are actually making a filthy lucre .
And as you stated ,I ‘ve the free choice to decline from buying products from such manufacturers.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
So is the high cost related to demand or is the demand fueled by product scarcity? If its scarcity then its not so much intrinsic quality. I try not to be influenced by the scarce marketing but not always avoid it. Look at rolex for example. They are masters of scarce new products. Walk into a A D with a wad of cash and they put you on a wait list! Brilliant.

How has exclusivity not been addressed yet? These expense/value discussions have occurred as long as I’ve been on this board. Exclusivity is also a value criteria for some buyers.

Personally ,the value of any modern stainless steel razor ,
sharply drops when it’s made of 303 or 304 steel (303 being the “free-machining” grade of 304). Good choice for cookware ,but not for my razors.

for you, not true for all buyers. more YMMV

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
How has exclusivity not been addressed yet? These expense/value discussions have occurred as long as I’ve been on this board. Exclusivity is also a value criteria for some buyers.

for you, not true for all buyers. more YMMV
The trick is knowing what will be exclusive before the ground swell by reading b&b and get in on the ground floor.

One word, plastics. ;)

The trick is knowing what will be exclusive before the ground swell by reading b&b and get in on the ground floor.

One word, plastics. ;)

my point was that price point creates exclusivity on its own.

Getting in on the ground floor of plastics may be a few decades old. And I can’t remember the reference, but should.

So is the high cost related to demand or is the demand fueled by product scarcity? If its scarcity then its not so much intrinsic quality. I try not to be influenced by the scarce marketing but not always avoid it. Look at rolex for example. They are masters of scarce new products. Walk into a A D with a wad of cash and they put you on a wait list! Brilliant.

According to the laws of economics, demand and supply should drive up the price. However, when I bought my Rockwell 6S, it was in short supply, as was the Game Changer. The price on both stayed the same as they are now. The Game Changer was in really short supply. I put my name on the wait list and now, 5 months later I still have not been notified. Yet the price stayed the same. I think that Internet marketing often supersedes the laws of economics. It’s too easy to price compare compared to the old days when you only had the brick and mortar stores.

“Business 101 teaches you to charge what the market is willing to pay”

Thus,we customers set the retail prices,right ?

If we were not willing to pay more than,say,$100 for a razor,then the prices of modern hi-end razors would have been lower ?
Or quite likely, would have never been made.

Rolex is a classic status quo symbol.
There are Casios that cost far less,yet they are far more accurate ,impact & water resistant,etc.

I use my razors only to shave my face & neck with them.They are nothing more or less than tools.
Certainly they are not items of worship ...

Rolex is a classic status quo symbol.
There are Casios that cost far less,yet they are far more accurate ,impact & water resistant,etc.

I use my razors only to shave my face & neck with them.They are nothing more or less than tools.
Certainly they are not items pf worship ...
Yet many shavers here do treat them as items of worship. If they are merely tools, why do some shavers have 20-30 razors?

I only have one 1/2” drive ratchet and one set of sockets. They are Crescent brand and they get the job done and done well. Yet, Snap On is a higher status brand and I don’t run out and buy a set of them.

Razors and shaving “tools” are different for some reason. Even I have three additional razors that I never use. I’ve tried them, but I always go back to the Rockwell. Yet, I just had to have them. Two because of historical significance and one because it was the new Gillette and I fell victim to the hype.

Yes, razors defy the law of economics and reason.

“Business 101 teaches you to charge what the market is willing to pay”

Thus,we customers set the retail prices,right ?

If we were not willing to pay more than,say,$100 for a razor,then the prices of modern hi-end razors would have been lower ?

And what you also must factor into the equation, is that the person that is so filthy rich, will simply NOT buy a $100 razor no matter how great it is just because they are loaded and must spend $500 for the BEST!

...Or maybe what they think as being the “best” .
Seems that targeting filthy rich people as potential customers ,
almost guarantees profit ,even
when lower quality products are involved,as long as these products are intentionally made “rarities”
or have an outrageously high price (status quo) or have a waiting list ,or ,or ,or ...

100 grams of machined stainless steel ,
sold as if it was gold or silver ...
Well,that alone to be accomplished ,is truly a form of art...Modern alchemy ,have to say ...

Seems a lot of people have already convinced themselves, so I won't bother much, but for others reading, there is a difference up to a certain price point, and beyond that you're paying for something that's hard to measure.
What's the true "value" of an Iwasaki tamahagane razor? It shaves fine, but it costs $1,000+ because it's made of a type of metal that's almost never produced anymore, one with as much hardness as the finest high carbons, but abrasion resistance so low that it can be sharpened on a simple strop, hence the "1,000 shaves before honing" ability. Add in that it's worked by master craftsmen and you get a blade that's not just functional, but a work of art in its own right.
Yes, your Casio watch is waterproof, but it's not in the same league as a Tag Heuer with a sapphire face & Swiss gearing; artistry, craftsmanship, and knowing it'll last a lifetime are things that some people find worth paying for, even if you don't
There's some people in this thread with multiple 7-day sets of straight razors, more than they'll ever need or use, but it makes them happy to collect them, which is enough of a reason to spend money on it

I just wish that was the story with Feather AS-D2 also ,or
with some other Hi -end razors ...

“Is Casio better than Rolex?“

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Whats better is an impossible question. Too much subjective there. Is a rolex better than a seiko? How do you define better. yes but Maybe not a grand seiko. plus whats better doesn't necessarily mean you want to buy it. Most people use a bic pen. Is a $500 fountain pen better? Objectively probably. But maybe not better for my daily use. Tools are another great topic. Snap on tools are better but back in the day they didn't sell to the general public. Is a can of tuna better than a 5 star hotel meal?
These are great questions to ponder but i dont think there's a right answer.

Yes ,being ”better“ has a subjective side .But it also has an objective one.

For example: Titanium Grade 5
( aka Ti 6Al-4V ) is a very hard and strong material ,but it lacks the superior corrosion resistance of almost pure Titanium grade 2 ,which is not as hard as the former.

A DE/SE razor is used to shave facial hair and it’s operational environment includes chlorinated tap water ,alkaline soaps and acidic human skin secretions .
It’s not used to brake the tiles of a bathroom under renovation .
Which alloy better suits the purpose and environmental hazards of a razor ?

Still, Grade 5 is used from some
razor manufacturers .
Why ?

Why make a razor strong like an axe or a hammer ,while compromising it’s corrosion resistance ?

Yes,a Ti Grade 5 razor is far better when choppin’ tiles and bricks with it ,than a Ti Grade 2 razor.
But the latter will keep its integrity ,under almost any possible chemical attack .

A razor’s first material should fulfil certain rather objective requirements .

Last edited:
Top Bottom