What's new

For those who have had The AOS royal shave...

would you recommend it? I'm flying out of Boston on my way to Thailand and will be there for a couple days before hand. A new AOS store just opened in Copley place and I was thinking of stopping by and giving it a try, but at $55 it is WAY expensive. I shave myself super close, so I know they probably won't be able to match my current shaves, but I've never had the barber shop shave experience. I was thinking of trying State Street as well, but after this review, I'm not sure I'd go there, even if it is half the cost. From the few reviews I've read, AOS has received moderate praise, especially for Elliot in Las Vegas.

You have to try it at least once...otherwise you will always wonder what it could have been like..(just like I do now) I missed my opportunity when I was in lost wages.( las vegas)

Isn't the shave in an AOS shop with an M3? If so, I can't justify spending that much cash on something I can do myself. I want to get a straight-razor shave in a barbershop sometime, but unfortunately there's nothing like that in my part of the world.

I don't think so, on the website they say it's performed w/ a traditional straight razor w/ disposable blade (a la dovo/feather)

I would do it...I posted my experience at AOS in Vegas. While we (collectively DE/Straight Shavers) set the bar pretty high with the quality of shaves, I wouldn't go in there thinking they will do better...after all, they won't know your face as well as you do, and it has taken time to perfect our daily ritual. I feel its more about the experience. Just go there and enjoy yourself.

Yeah, it isn't cheap by any means, but aren't you worth it?

edit: Slider you are right...they use whatever razor they feel most comfortable with...some use shavettes that use DE blades...the guy that shaved me used a razor similar to a shavette that used an injector blade because he liked the heft of the razor better then the shavette. No state of the art Gillette technology is used...

It was a nice experience, but not earth shattering for an accomplished wet shaver. You're not going to get the shave of your life (I've given myself better, if you can believe that), but having someone else do it is a nice experience. They definitely don't use an M3, silly, they use shavettes, and use it to give, in my experience, a very accomplished straight razor shave. Highlights are the pre-shave towel and oil treatment, use of many fine unscented products, rosewater hydrosol at the end, and the fact that you can feel fresh-out-of-the-shower shaved in the middle of the day while nowhere near your own bathroom. I learned a few things about my own face from watching him shave me (how to shave my chin), and this was invaluable and well worth the price of admission.

The very best shave I have ever received, though, was from my own hand using a slant bar and Proraso. Compared to that shave, my AoS royal shave was around 90th percentile. As long as $55 isn't a hardship for you, I heartily recommend it.

russellnyc said:
It was a nice experience, but not earth shattering for an accomplished wet shaver. You're not going to get the shave of your life (I've given myself better, if you can believe that), but having someone else do it is a nice experience. They definitely don't use an M3, silly, they use shavettes, and use it to give, in my experience, a very accomplished straight razor shave. Highlights are the pre-shave towel and oil treatment, use of many fine unscented products, rosewater hydrosol at the end, and the fact that you can feel fresh-out-of-the-shower shaved in the middle of the day while nowhere near your own bathroom. I learned a few things about my own face from watching him shave me (how to shave my chin), and this was invaluable and well worth the price of admission.

The very best shave I have ever received, though, was from my own hand using a slant bar and Proraso. Compared to that shave, my AoS royal shave was around 90th percentile. As long as $55 isn't a hardship for you, I heartily recommend it.
I had the same experience in AOS in Las Vegas. If you can afford it ($65 now) give it a try to say that you've had the luxury. However, from a purely "performance" standpoint you probably won't get a shave significantly better than you can do yourself.

--Mark

Mark, my brother-in-law had it done at the Art of Shaving shop in New York, and he said it was a waste of time and money. He said the atmosphere is very friendly, and warm and cordial, he got a fabulous haircut, but he said the "Royal Shave" experience is nothing special.

Jeff

Wife gave me a gift certificate last year, so treated myself to the royal shave at the AOS store in Manhattan. It was actually painful while he was shaving me, but when it was over I could not believe how smooth my face was.

It was a nice experience and very relaxing, although I have to say that I wasn't crazy about the haircut.

I emailed AOS before the boston shop opened (while I still lived there) and they said they were only going to do shaves on the weekends and someone mentioned in another post that they hadn't hired a barber yet.

55 does sound expensive. T&H in Chicago only chargers 40 I think.

Anyway, if you go, post a review.

Best luck in your travels.

Top Bottom