What's new

For those that like Gillette Yellows, is there anything better?

In approx 2012 to 2015, I found the GSB to be the blade for me, however, when I ran out of my stash and had to order new ones, I felt they changed and lost their smoothness. Maybe it was my imagination, I don't know. Anyway...I have moved exclusively to Gillette Yellows and found them less harsh than Feathers (for my face). But now I wonder, is there a better blade out there?

I'm sure there are people that don't like yellows, but for those that do like them, have you found anything that feels smoother and cut better? I would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks!

Last edited:
In approx 2012 to 2015, I found the GSB to be the blade for me, however, when I ran out of my stash and had to order new ones, I felt they changed and lost their smoothness. Maybe it was imagination, I don't know. Anyway...I have moved exclusively to Gillette Yellows and found them less harsh than Feathers (for my face). But now I wonder, is there a better blade out there?

I'm sure there are people that don't like yellows, but for those that do like them, have you found anything that feels smoother and cut better? I would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks!
I, too, was a big fan of Gillette Silver Blue blades. I am also a fan of Gillette Sharp Edge (yelllow). If you like those blades try Tiger blades. Very similar -- sharp and smooth.

BIC Platinum, orange ASCO or Silver star. Sharp and smooth. 10 euros only for 100 blades of ASCO/Silver star, about 15 for BIC.
If you live in Europe, you can also get the German Wilkinson sword at any store.
IMG_20210713_095857.jpg

Last edited:
In a comparison of Gillette blades I'm currently doing The Sharp Edge Yellows are my favorite. Followed closely by the GSB & the Nacets. Recently I also added some KCG blades to the test & they feel great & seem to last more than the others. Since I love the KCG blades but not their price I'm going to need to buy some some Gillette Platinum's to compare. Maybe I'll also buy some other Gillette blades to try.

The Yellows are in my top two. And, at this point, I've sure tried a lot of blades. The other at the top, for me, is the Bic Chrome Platinum. The Bic is a touch more sharper, at least to me, but it otherwise feels similar to me to the Yellow. I'd highly recommend you're trying it; if nothing else than because one of my original go-tos was the GSB. In day to day use, I've found that there are one or two razors in which I prefer the Yellow (my two Wolfmans, to be exact) and then the Bics seem to play nicer in other razors. The other blade I sometimes use is a Persona Red but that tuck now seems to just sit there untouched.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
My two favorite blades are currently Gillette Silver Blue and Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (black). Those two blades work the best in my Lupo razors. The GSB has better longevity than the G7OSP.

I don't use any modern blades anymore but when I did the 7o'clock Yellows were among my favorites. For what it's worth, here are the others
Super Iridium and Iridium Super, same blade. GSB. 7 o'clock Dark Blues. Rapira Swedish Super Steels, and one other that escapes me now. Its been years.

It's very subjective I know when it comes to razor blades.
But after 55+ years wet shaving I have used a LOT of blades.
I do like the Gillette Yellow (and most of the PPI blades to be fair).
However the new champion blade (for me) is the Minora Stainless.
Smooth, sharp, great in any of my razors, last well.
I do tend towards more assertive razors though...ss Karve #F, and #G SB plates, Blackbird SB and OC, ss Timeless .95 OC.
My 'mildest' razor in use is the NEW SC.
If you like the Yellow I'm sure you will find the Minora Stainless to be up there in performance too.

Perhaps a sample pack? There are probably a few blades that could beat the yellows for you personally, but you won't know until you try them. Even if you do try them and don't like them you could come back to them later and liking them more than you thought you did. Rapira platinum lux and swedish supersteel might be worth a try and maybe even a few lord blades like platinum, sharks, silverstars etc.

The yellow “Sharp Edge” are (were?) my favourites. I find Astra shave similarly.
But…don’t laugh…a friend from work gave me 5 Tatra to try and they have really impressed. I’m getting fantastic shaves with them in both my Gamechanger and Lupo razors. If they’re lacking at all, it might just be in that they feel played out after 3 3-pass shaves (face only).
I can happily stretch the yellow 7 O’Clocks a shave or two further.

Thanks for all of the replies so far. I actually have a few of the recommendations in my stash of blades that I either never tried or tried and forgotten the result. I also just checked out Razor Emporium - I can't believe they only rank the Gillette Yellows as 2 of 5 with regards to sharpness. I always thought they were supposed to be ranked sharper (or at least that was my interpretation from refindedshave.com). If memory serves, they seemed close to Polsilver (which I thought people regarded as sharp).Weird.

In a comparison of Gillette blades I'm currently doing The Sharp Edge Yellows are my favorite. Followed closely by the GSB & the Nacets. Recently I also added some KCG blades to the test & they feel great & seem to last more than the others. Since I love the KCG blades but not their price I'm going to need to buy some some Gillette Platinum's to compare. Maybe I'll also buy some other Gillette blades to try.

Try the blacks from India

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
It's very subjective I know when it comes to razor blades.
But after 55+ years wet shaving I have used a LOT of blades.
I do like the Gillette Yellow (and most of the PPI blades to be fair).
However the new champion blade (for me) is the Minora Stainless.
Smooth, sharp, great in any of my razors, last well.
I do tend towards more assertive razors though...ss Karve #F, and #G SB plates, Blackbird SB and OC, ss Timeless .95 OC.
My 'mildest' razor in use is the NEW SC.
If you like the Yellow I'm sure you will find the Minora Stainless to be up there in performance too.
Minora yellow or the red box?

I like the 7 o’clock yellows but I’d rank them behind the PermaSharp gold pack and my favorite the GSBs

Top Bottom