What's new

For those lurking and considering pipe smoking....

I just saw from pipe and cigars an offer for a starter set, approx $13, i have no interest in P&C but see people want to start inexpensively. I have no idea about the pipe or tobacco, but it may be an inexpensive way to jump in. Yes jump in to the rabbit hole :)

Hmmm saw that. The nylon/briar pipe is weirdly interesting. If I were to be starting out knowing what I know now I would grab a Missouri meerschaum cob, pouch of Carter hall/prince albert/captain black, and a bic lighter. Pipe tool either a goft tee or an actual nail would suffice. But as you say, it is a rabbit hole haha. Starting cheap just lets you have time to say bye bye to your money :lol:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Hmmm saw that. The nylon/briar pipe is weirdly interesting. If I were to be starting out knowing what I know now I would grab a Missouri meerschaum cob, pouch of Carter hall/prince albert/captain black, and a bic lighter. Pipe tool either a goft tee or an actual nail would suffice. But as you say, it is a rabbit hole haha. Starting cheap just lets you have time to say bye bye to your money :lol:

Truer words were never said! But a corn cob pipe is the best starter pipe IMHO. Even those of us who have several high end pipes usually have at least a few cobs in the collection, if not in active rotation. You can't go wrong with a Missouri Meerschaum pipe, you can go wrong with a cheap Chinese knock off!

Truer words were never said! But a corn cob pipe is the best starter pipe IMHO. Even those of us who have several high end pipes usually have at least a few cobs in the collection, if not in active rotation. You can't go wrong with a Missouri Meerschaum pipe, you can go wrong with a cheap Chinese knock off!
Most definitely! I have a pile of mm cobs I enjoy quite a bit. Even their bag of seconds are great pipes. I got a few chinese cobs as some freebies ones. They were so pithy I could put my finger through the bottom. The stems were aweful and the drilling even worse. The airway had enough wood chunks in it to start a small fire lol. They went to the trash. Missouri meerschaum cobs aren't very expensive as they are. You get a great smoking pipe that will last you years if taken care of. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Starting cheap just lets you have time to say bye bye to your money :lol:
Words of wisdom, lesson learned the hard way today. :001_huh: While smoking my pressed Meerschaum that I paid a whole $14.00 for lol, I heard a sound all Meerschaum smokers hate to hear - POP! Cracked stem and ruined pipe, lesson learned.

Off to P&C for a new mid-range Briar and a MM while I"M at it.

Top Bottom