What's new

for the SE fans: the 1912 GEM DELUXE

this was the FIRST "1912" model. note the FULL open comb. i just got this in today. ive been looking for one for a while. they dont come up all that often, so if you catch one, grab it :001_smile

I got mine in a razor lot last year.This is the only other of its type I have seen.:smile:They shave well and I like the slight curve in the head. Cheers Phil.

That's nice! I love my Gems and often wondered how the real old razors shaved. I might have to keep my eyes peeled for one. Congrats!:001_smile

I hadn't seen a 1912 with an open comb before. All of mine have the closed comb except for one with a safety bar. (That one has the "Treet" brand name on it.) Now I'll have to start looking closer at the 1912's. I have so many that I really haven't been paying much attention to them any more when I see them on E-bay. :blush:

Regards,
Tom

I hadn't seen a 1912 with an open comb before. All of mine have the closed comb except for one with a safety bar. (That one has the "Treet" brand name on it.) Now I'll have to start looking closer at the 1912's. I have so many that I really haven't been paying much attention to them any more when I see them on E-bay. :blush:

Regards,
Tom

I saw one recently at an out of the way antique shop, but the handle was so corroded I bypassed it. There is no way to change out the handles with another because they are smaller gauge than the normal GEMs or Ever Readys.

the other 1912 handles will work in this one, i just checked.

go get it!

Strange. The one I saw, also a Damaskeene, had a different gauge. There was also a beat up standard GEM 1912 there that I took the handle off of to try. It was far too large.

I'll check it out again the next time I'm in that region (its about 3 hours from here), but I am sure of the smaller gauged post.

In checking my various Gems, I find that there are some 1912's that have a 10-32 thread, which is the same size (but reverse gender) from the usual Gillette thread. I have others 1912's which have a smaller, 6-32 thread. The older razors such as the 1900/1901's, a "New Gem" and also the Kampfe's that I have, seem to have the smaller 6-32. The one 1912 with the Damaskeene markings that I checked (with a closed comb) had the 6-32 thread, but there is no question that this is something of a mixed bag . . . very strange; up to now I was under the impression that all the ASR's had the 6-32, but it aint' so! :frown:

Checking further, I find that the Ever-Readys with the front hinged cap and the "Pat. Appl'd For" markings that I have use the 10-32 thread while the march 24, 1914 models have the 6-32. Until Guido raised the question in my mind, I would have bet that all of these single edge razors with removable handles used the 6-32 thread . . . Good thing no one offered to make such a bet! :blush:

It looks like Dave and Guido are both undoubtedly correct on what Guido found in the Antique shop and what Dave found on the one he has in hand . . . It's just that not all Gem's are created equal, at least not in the case of their handle threads. :redface:

Regards,
Tom

In reviewing some of what has been posted above and some further analysis of my collection:

1. Guido found that the Damaskeene razor lwith the open comb had a smaller thread than the other one he found. This indicates that the Damaskeene (an early model of the 1912) had the smaller 6-32 thread.

2. My earlier Gems & Gem Jr's seemed to have had the same 6-32 thread as the older Kampfe razors.

3. The other 1912's, where it is hard to say what age they are, seem to have a mixed bag, but some of the ones I have that I believe to be the newer ones, such as the fat handled Gem Jr's, ER.'s and the Treet, all have the larger 10-32 thread.

4. The older ER 1914 razor has the smalller 6-32 thread, while the newer model with the front hinge, has the 10-32.

My tentitive suspicion is that somewhere between 1914 and 1918 or thereabouts, ASR changed from the "traditional" 6-32 thread to the more robust 10-32 size.

If you gents have any indications that my theory is wrong, please put that evidence forward. I'm certainly not locked in on this supposition, but I'm starting to feel reasonably confident of it. :001_smile

Regards,
Tom

Excellent research, Tom! This is part of what makes you so valuable to this "hobby". Who knows, I may swing back down through that area just to pick up that Damaskeene head. I love the rare and/or unique.

V

VR6ofpain

Strange. The one I saw, also a Damaskeene, had a different gauge. There was also a beat up standard GEM 1912 there that I took the handle off of to try. It was far too large.

I'll check it out again the next time I'm in that region (its about 3 hours from here), but I am sure of the smaller gauged post.
Get it and check the thread pitch. I am sure Concatbob would be willing to help you out. He is good at taping as well as making razor handles!

Top Bottom