What's new

For The History Books, Two Rescued Stub Tails From The Wild

timwcic

"Look what I found"
The two razors from the flea market that came from the same seller. It was part of a group buy that included a nice stone. The first has wooden scales that do not think are original. It is marked JOPP on the tang. The second is very interesting and unique. All can make out of the name on the tang Is WARB with a few extra letters. It could be Warburton but the rest of the letters are faded away. It has ivory scales with a small lead wedge. It has a worked spine, something I never saw on a stubtail before. The scales also were embellished with inserts, unfortunate someone removed the silver inlays for $2 worth of scrap sterling. Both have a smooth transition from blade to tang, no shoulder with a small dippity do at the heel. Both blades for there ages are in good shape with the Jopp close to shave ready. I don’t think they are revolutionary war old but they are close

Some history of old Sheffield straight razor and makers
http://www.anwealde.com/razors/bothlummus.pdf

31008D25-510B-4EE8-8E94-B7C1EDBC3F6B.jpeg
4551EB39-60A3-4EBE-BF17-DE6890B835C5.jpeg
3B2C6A87-1304-4823-991A-E4181F59F5BD.jpeg
223DA9DB-EA9C-4D55-B399-1E1DF3E107D0.jpeg
E172799B-DF15-477B-9B3D-E6D91132E717.jpeg

Do you know if the shape of those blades were the standard of that era. I am asking because I have seen razors for sale with the same or similar shape, but have no idea the dating. I would enjoy having something from the late 1700's or pre 1835.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Do you know if the shape of those blades were the standard of that era. I am asking because I have seen razors for sale with the same or similar shape, but have no idea the dating. I would enjoy having something from the late 1700's or pre 1835.

These are Sheffield SR and as a general rule of thumb, not carved in stone, the shorter the tang and the smaller the shoulder the older the steel. This is a generalization that I use to help me make a decision quick in the wild. At the market or estate sale, I have make a buying decision quickly. Another way to date is by the Royal Cypher of Geroge, William or Victoria

A real nice piece of 1700s history there. Whenever I get a new blade I’d love to know who had it, where it’s been etc. The history of them is really interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom