What's new

For the budget conscious.is this a good way to go?

I'm sure that this question and link have come before up so I apologize. However, I'm curious if this is a good way to start with honing on a tightish budget. 1k for my flea market finds....a 4k/8k for mid and a flattening stone as it appears these do not quite come ready to use on straights.

http://www.amazon.com/Norton-Waters.../183-1817790-7626062?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I have some lapping film that should be fine for finishing.

If not, is there a different way to go in an approximate price range? (Escpecially curious to know if there's a better way for me to go on a. Budget and scrap the film altogether.)

any input put would be welcome.

You could probably get a better 1k for less than the Norton set, and as Rick said go to your Film from there.

I never liked the Norton 1k and never had much luck with the the 4k and 8k.

3 micron Al2O3 film is equivalent to a 4k Shapton.
My opinion, the best budget honing setup is DMT 1200, 3 & 1 micron film. No flattening/lapping required.
DMT 1200 to 3 micron film is an easy transition.

On a budget, I would recommend the 1k/3k Suehiro and an Inigo Jones Welsh slate w/rubbing stone. Lap on 320x w/d and finish with ferox on a paddle as needed to start. Afterwards, add a coticule and a coarse DMT, and prepare to head down the rabbit hole.

Last edited:
The Notron set is legendary, lots of people started there. They work. Getting advice on using them is easy because lots of people use them or used them at one time.
My thoughts on that set - the combo stones are nice and all but I'd rather have full stones of each grit, 1k, 4, 8k.
The 220x isn't a hot topic for me.. although it can come in handy when facing Evil Wapis and similarly distraught razors.
Early on - I moved from Nortons to Naniwa SS pretty quickly - I feel they're a better value. A 1k whatever and a 3/8 K combo will run more than 129 I think but it might be a better investment. I just picked up a C1k for 65 shipped. The 3/8k SS combo is 95 shipped on Amazon. That adds up to 160, to me - the additional 30 bucks brings a way better set up.

3 micron Al2O3 film is equivalent to a 4k Shapton.
My opinion, the best budget honing setup is DMT 1200, 3 & 1 micron film. No flattening/lapping required.
DMT 1200 to 3 micron film is an easy transition.

WIll a DMT 1200 work for damaged razors, e.g. with chipped edges? Or would something else be required?

Top Bottom