What's new

For Parker "51" Lovers - Check Out The Wing Sung 601

My 601 finally got inked up so I'll post some first impressions. First, it is a decently made pen for the price point. I'm impressed. Second, I stumbled across a YouTube review of the 601 demonstrator and the person mentioned that the 601 came in either a F or EF nib. It was random as to which one you got because there is no nib choice when ordering. I received the EF nib. While I like fine nibs this is almost too fine. It is also scratchy. I'm probably going to get some mylar paper and try to smooth it out some. I'm using Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher and it's a great pen for that. Overall I like it.

I should have mentioned that I got one in black. The YouTuber said that to his knowledge all of the non-demostrators came with EF nibs. What has been your experience?

I saw this, looks like a great value. I almost clicked "Buy" on the Army Green version, but my original Black and Gold 51 Aero is such a workhorse and a great joy in my life that I could not rationalize the need for another version of it. Instead, I clicked "Buy" on the Wing Sung 698. I've never owned a piston-filler or a demonstrator, so that I could rationalize. It should be here in a week, I hope.

I saw this, looks like a great value. I almost clicked "Buy" on the Army Green version, but my original Black and Gold 51 Aero is such a workhorse and a great joy in my life that I could not rationalize the need for another version of it. Instead, I clicked "Buy" on the Wing Sung 698. I've never owned a piston-filler or a demonstrator, so that I could rationalize. It should be here in a week, I hope.
I have also decided to pick up the 698 as well. I hope to be able to put my nib from my metropolitan into it

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
I get it. You guys have a good point. A knock-off will never have the feel of a honest Parker 51 that was made in the Eisenhower days. That is what I love about them. I have bought a gunked-up 51 and flushed it out a few times and they have worked perfectly. It is totally worth it to do so. I also have some custom Argentinian 51s. Great fun. Beauties. Some custom Greg Muniskin nibs. Awesome in every way. I have tried some Chinese built types and have been impressed. I hate to say it, but they have been of good quality. I do not feel the same about them- no nostalgia. But they do perform well.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
For $25CDN, I figured "Hey, why not" and just ordered a grey one for myself as a Christmas present (from SWMBO of course, but she doesn't know it yet).

Scott and Brian may never talk to me again. :tongue_sm

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Mine came in yesterday, ordered on Oct.25 with the estimated delivery of "Mon, Nov 19 - Tue, Jan 01." Given that it was actually held up by our rotating Canada Post strikes (yaay for tracking!) for about a week, I don't think that the delivery estimate dates should scare anyone off.

As for the pen itself, initially it looks good and feels good. Give me a few weeks to see how it works out.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
A quick min-review of my thoughts on this pen after using it for a week.

PRO
- it looks like a 51
- the ink window is a nice feature
- it writes well enough (no issues outside of the nib drying out when left uncapped for 15 mins, duh)
- the filling mechanism is wunderbar!
- it fits well in my hand
- I've has two compliments on it already
- hard to beat the price

CON
- based on where I hold my FPs, my grip is on both sides of the clutch/joint and I have noticed a small bit of wobble sometimes when writing. It probably means that the threading could be a little longer, the material a little stronger/firmer/harder, or a both. Perhaps this is not a 10-year pen, but then again, it was only around $25CDN shipped.
full

Top Bottom