What's new

For Love of Aqua Velva.

Not 100% sure but I'm almost positive that Wal-Mart required it due to lower shipping costs.
The weird thing is, they still carry Gillette Cool Wave in glass (one of the best glass aftershave bottles in current production too)
It's possible, I suppose. And other places would just follow suit.

Definitely love the Gillette Cool Wave! My wife also loves the scent. If the scent came as a cologne, it's one I would purchase for daily wear. My preferred colognes for this time of year is John Varvatos and Burberry. The Cool Wave scent would be nice to have also though, especially in summer.

It's possible, I suppose. And other places would just follow suit.

Definitely love the Gillette Cool Wave! My wife also loves the scent. If the scent came as a cologne, it's one I would purchase for daily wear. My preferred colognes for this time of year is John Varvatos and Burberry. The Cool Wave scent would be nice to have also though, especially in summer.

I have several colognes that go well with it, but nothing I've come across smells exactly like it.

One of my favorite pairings is Cool Wave and Grey Flannel.

To me, Aqua Velva is quite simply the greatest aftershave of all time. You can pay hundreds of dollars for bottles of aftershave, probably more. But none of them have what Aqua Velva has - a rich, cool, manly history. It smells like a barbershop where old war vets hangout. It smells like a boxing gym. It smells like my dad getting ready for church. Its real and its beautiful. I do wear other aftershaves from time to time and I like many other products quite a lot, but Aqua Velva will always be #1 for me.

Aqua Velva may be the oldest mass-market American aftershave still in production.

Just bought a new 7 ounce bottle at Walmart recently. Have used it three times. Hate to break it to ya, but this new bottle smells different than my last bottle, which was bought late 2017.
That's really sad.I'll have to check out the new bottles at Meijer when I go back to the store this weekend.

Just cracked a new 7 oz bottle that I purchased at Walmart yesterday. It seems fine. It's only been about 20 minutes since I shaved, but so far nothing disagreeable. I'll post if anything comes up in the next few hours. So far it's the same great AV.

Edit; I do notice a difference on dry down over time. So far I'm liking the change and don't find it objectionable. I'd describe it as a bit of musk. I'll get a candid unbiased opinion (I won't let her know that the scent is being tested on her) from my wife when I get a chance for a cheek sniff after dry down. I'm hoping for either no reaction or positive reaction. I typically use the same soap and AS every day, so her reaction should be telling.

Last edited:
Why is everybody sold out of the Spanish version? Maggards has no idea when they'll get it again. They said hopefully by Christmas.

Why is everybody sold out of the Spanish version? Maggards has no idea when they'll get it again. They said hopefully by Christmas.

Because as with any things new on shave forums many will rush to buy. I have always read that the Euro/Spanish version of Aqua Velva has a weaker scent and on the Euro forums they all want the American version. Go figure.

Its the first splash I got when I got into DE shaving, bought in a local store in Amalfi coast, Italy. It's great! Great sporty scent and nice burn!

I saw the same thing. I'll just stay with Maggard Razors as my source for it. I still appreciate the link, though. Let me know what you think of it when yours arrives!
FYI I got an email this am saying it couldn't be shipped due to the alcohol. Guess I'll wait too.

Where I live, we have a lot of humidity. The glycerin in A.V. makes it somewhat prohibitive.
But, on a hot dry summer day, nothing beats some Williams whipped up with a boar brush
and the Velva. It’s perfect for the situation.

Top Bottom