What's new

For Joel Re: Muehle bristles

In your response to my question about Muehle razors, you stated that the Muehle brush you were using has German sourced badger bristles. I was curious as to whether all Muehle brushes used this particular type of badger hair and if they don't how can you tell the difference betwee German and Chinese bristles?
Warm regards,
Alex

AJS said:
In your response to my question about Muehle razors, you stated that the Muehle brush you were using has German sourced badger bristles. I was curious as to whether all Muehle brushes used this particular type of badger hair and if they don't how can you tell the difference betwee German and Chinese bristles?
Warm regards,
Alex

Alex,
From my correspondences with Mr. Mueller at Muehle Pinsel, I have been directed that all of the "silvertip" badger hair from Muehle is a German badger hair. Also - the TRUE silvertip from Edwin Jagger (NOT the "super") is also of the same German source.

The German bristles are not as white at the tip, and do not look as "impressive" as the high end silvertips from Asia, and the "upland whites" however the German bristle FEELS remarkably nice, are much softer, and although it seems like it would be "floppy" when you actually use it, they feel somewhat stout. Overall - I think the FEEL of the German badger is about the most luxurious out there. Funny you should bring this up - as I JUST finished a shave with an Edwin Jagger silvertip loaded with German Badger....
full

full

full

The shave, and the sensation from the German badger hair is simply splended. The hair provides a TREMENDOUS amount of flex, and as you can see can/will splay out - and stay "splayed out" - however due to the density, and the somewhat ridgid qualities of the bristle - although it looks floppy as all get out - it feels quite firm when applying lather - as once the bristles splay out, the density of the splayed bristle, coupled with the flex/spring of the bristle make it "push back" against your skin, so it feels awful good, and does not in the slightest bit feel like a sloppy/floppy Vulfix.
full

full

Due to the shape of this particular Edwin Jagger, and the fact that it is packed denser than the model of Muehle Pinsel I currently have/use - this particular one is even MORE ridgid.... I would liken this particular brush to a civil and more luxurious version of a Chubby, but again - look at the hair compared to best/pure badger.... it doesn't look as striking as a simpson/plisson in super/silvertip/euro white, etc.

full

Personally - I don't buy shaving brushes to look at, so for me, I'd prefer hair that works/feels better to hair that looks better, but to each their own. I have one of these on the way...
proxy.php

Which has a head that is similar in shape to the EJ I have with the same hair, so it should be interesting to see how it performs. Overall I quite like the Muehle Pinsel/Edwin Jagger German silvertips, and their value is simply outstanding..... just look at THISbrush... a handmade genuine Buffalo Handled shaving brush with a gold base (you can get a nickel base as well if you prefer that look) for under $100... that simply puts Simpson, Plisson, Shavemac, and Kent to shame - value wise.

proxy.php

I would suspect these would be more popular is they were made in England, and had some of the "guru's" preaching their quality/performance/value - as these should be a lot more common/recommended on these forums - as most guys cannot/will not justify spending $100 or more on a shaving brush, but Muehle offers a large array of options in very original/interesting/and astetically pleasing shapes, all at very reasonable prices.

Personally.... while they may not be my TOP pick, they sure are in the top - and as far as value goes, so far as I am concerned, they don't really have a rival.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've almost pulled the trigger on a Muehle-Pinsel a couple times. The prices really are quite reasonable and the brushes are attractive. I'm very curious to see how Muehle fares in the brush wars.

Also, do the Shavemacs use the same bristles?
Cheers,
Jeff

jmhAZ said:
I've almost pulled the trigger on a Muehle-Pinsel a couple times. The prices really are quite reasonable and the brushes are attractive. I'm very curious to see how Muehle fares in the brush wars.

Also, do the Shavemacs use the same bristels?
Cheers,
Jeff

Jeff,
No -shavemac uses a chinese badger bristle. The old supplier of shavemac bristle - as seen in my Horn XXL version was truly amazing stuff - on par with Plisson/Simpson, however the new soft stuff he is using doesn't have as much backbone... and while it is nice, it is not nearly as nice as the previous supplier. Personally - compared to the new shavemac hair, I personally prefer the muehle bristle.

Thanks for the very detailed reply Joel. I was thinking of one of the Muehle silvertips but I think I will go for the EJ silvertip now. Just one final question, is the German badger hair used in these brushes the same a a Plisson Euro White, or do Plisson use a third different type of badger hair?
Warm regards,
Alex

AJS said:
Thanks for the very detailed reply Joel. I was thinking of one of the Muehle silvertips but I think I will go for the EJ silvertip now. Just one final question, is the German badger hair used in these brushes the same a a Plisson Euro White, or do Plisson use a third different type of badger hair?
Warm regards,
Alex

Plisson badger hair is quite a bit different than anything else. Personally I think it is only really suited for hard soaps (the brushes are designed for hard soaps) however they will work with creams... but it is obvious when using a plisson with soap, that the brushes intended purpose is not to be multi-faceted. Will a plisson work with creams? Yeah - but a softer brush will work better, and it'll feel a lot nicer.

The Plisson hair is much stouter, thicker, and robust. I would call Plisson's many a thing.... but luxurious isn't something I personally associate with Plisson.

So a long answer to your short question :tongue: no - the Plisson bristle is much different and is a "third" type.

Top Bottom