What's new

For How Long Do You Rest Our SRs?

Before retirement I was involved in high precision measurement and metal does try to return to its original shape after being bent. In industry it is known as "metal memory" and I measured it on a regular basis. After 24 hours virtually all movement has stopped. No Myth !! That being said I used my first razor every day for years without a problem.

Before retirement I was involved in high precision measurement and metal does try to return to its original shape after being bent. In industry it is known as "metal memory" and I measured it on a regular basis. After 24 hours virtually all movement has stopped. No Myth !! That being said I used my first razor every day for years without a problem.

What does that have to do with it? The fear would be deforming it. With it trying to return to its original shape and stropping keeping it there, continuous use should not be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I am trying to say here is that the idea of resting a razor between shaves can be backed up with proven mechanical fact and not myth.
What I am also trying to say is that using a razor every day without resting is neither detrimental to the razor nor does it make any difference to the shave.
I am a big fan of the 7 day set and often include my first razor, a Mappin that have been using for over 50 years in my rotation. I love having a different razor to look forward to each day but I will often use the same razor multiple times just because I am enjoying it. Resting is not considered in my choice of razor for the day

What I am trying to say here is that the idea of resting a razor between shaves can be backed up with proven mechanical fact and not myth.
What I am also trying to say is that using a razor every day without resting is neither detrimental to the razor nor does it make any difference to the shave.
I am a big fan of the 7 day set and often include my first razor, a Mappin that have been using for over 50 years in my rotation. I love having a different razor to look forward to each day but I will often use the same razor multiple times just because I am enjoying it. Resting is not considered in my choice of razor for the day

Likewise. I have favorites that I’ll use for days on end, but I do like to play all of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

🤫 Shhh, their resting, I’ll let you know when they wake up.

ABD599FA-BE78-4F15-9D0F-8F0AC4C067D1.jpeg

I don't "rest" razors, if by that you mean intentionally not using them while their little metal memories recall their original shape.

That said, I have enough straights that I generally use any given razor only once a week.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
If they are resting under a glass pyramid kept in the dark and only brought out into the light of a full moon, your SRs should be about perfect by now.

Give each another go.

They're only occasional use items for me, as are my shavettes. Even though they're not regular use, I couldn't help commenting that way :p

It would appear that I fell prey to that marketing myth, and on that note, don’t let them rest too long. Some, in my experience, can become quite angry.

We all know that resting your straight razors is good for them 😁, and we all do rest them between uses. A few rest them for hours but most rest them for day(s).

I rest mine for at least 48hrs and sometimes even 72hrs. Once I get my 7DS together, each SR will get a 7 day rest.

(Yes, I'm getting bored stuck at home.)
It’s a mith you don’t need to rest straight razor

I have a very close friend who is an Italian barber fourth generation. I asked him about this and he said "Only the barber needs to be rested". He also said a razor is a tool, not the craftsman. I've used a razor for a week and it did not complain once.

Reminds me of how the old razor maker Billy Hukin described it in an interview. He referenced the 'spring' of the steel.
Since stropping realigns the edge, I'm not sure what additional benefit resting the blade was supposed to provide.

A lot of the razors people are using now have been resting for decades. They should be good for a while. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I'm probably getting 1-2 uses a month. And that's with a handful not being shave ready. But I see this a more of a functional collection than a tool that is fun to use. Kinda like mowing a yard sucks. But if you have a riding mower it is more fun. That would be my analogy of shaving vs wet shaving.

I rest my tobacco pipes- especially my briers. My corn cobs- eh- I can get away with two smokes then lay it down. My meerschaum is an all day smoker and needs no rest. It’s the oils you see- from the tobacco- so you rest them. That makes sense.

Now in razors- yeah, I can’t see that happening- my kitchen knives don’t get fatigued, they get more dull, then get sharpened. My razor gets more dull then gets sharpened. I put razors in the same category as golf clubs. Razors, like golf clubs are merely sticks with a gimmick at the end of it!
Enjoyable sticks, enjoyable gimmicks, but gimmicks nonetheless.
😂😂😂

Top Bottom