What's new

For Gillette Platinum lovers: What other blades feel the same or similar?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Never say never... but I seem to have completed my razor purchases at this point. I have several I haven't tried yet... so I'm hoping to don't feel that "need" to buy another one. So far, every purchase has been a success, thanks to the great people here on B&B who have experimented with so many different razors and give great advice.

I think I've sort of figured out that I like "mild/smooth but efficient razors".... At this point, I don't seem to feel the desire to get one of the more aggressive razors. I'm getting stellar results with the aforementioned styles. There are several people here who like those razors and I've been asking and/or observing what they love.
Edit: I totally forgot about the Wizamets I have.

Ok so I just had a shave with a black ninja. To my face they are very like the Perma sharps only better. I would say slightly sharper and smoother. I just wish they were a bit cheaper. I'm not knocking the Perma Sharp they'll still be my go to blades.
Well, Perma Sharps are definitely out for me. 2 shaves is what I'm getting on each blade. 3rd shave feels like I'm shaving with rocks! They are excellent for the first 2 shaves but I won't use a blade that can't go beyond that.
So far the winner is the red box Bic Astor stainless!
But I should be getting my Personna lab blue's in a couple days so we'll see how those do.
I have to order a tuck of those Gillette Ninja's to try them out!

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Well, Perma Sharps are definitely out for me. 2 shaves is what I'm getting on each blade. 3rd shave feels like I'm shaving with rocks! They are excellent for the first 2 shaves but I won't use a blade that can't go on beyond that.
So far the winner is the red box Bic Astor stainless!
But I should be getting my Personna lab blue's in a couple days so we'll see how those do.
I have to order a tuck of those Gillette Ninja's to try them out!
Hopefully the ninjas will better for you than the Permasharps

I received my pack of Lab blues today (a 100 pack).
Seems crazy to buy 100 since I've never tried them but the price I paid was ridiculous so it was a no brainer.
I also received my New Razorock Hawk SE razor which I was really looking forward to using, so it took priority in tonight's shave. I'll be trying the Lab Blue's with tomorrow nights shave on my ATT Windsor.
I'll post results then!

Last edited:
OK so here's my Personna Lab Blue results. I've tried them so far in both of my ATT razors and they're fantastic.
I don't think I had mentioned the reason for starting this thread:
If a blade is as good as the Gillette Platinum, why would someone try changing to something else?
Well, the GP's for some reason were having some type of reaction on my skin. Maybe the coating? I don't know!
The point is that the shave and end result was great but I would notice that reaction about 30 minutes
after shaving. It wasn't irritation because I had no stinging. It was more of a redness!
Anyways, The Personna's are coated too but they don't give me any reaction (this is why I was trying pure stainless blades with no coating). Also, they are definitely sharper which is a plus. They aren't Feather sharp (which leaves me feeling like an extra layer of skin gets removed) but definitely sharper than the GP's. And finally, they're super smooth!
They give everything that I need in a blade and they'll be what I use from now on.
A++

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
OK so here's my Personna Lab Blue results. I've tried them so far in both of my ATT razors and they're fantastic.
I don't think I had mentioned the reason for starting this thread:
If a blade is as good as the Gillette Platinum, why would someone try changing to something else?
Well, the GP's for some reason were having some type of reaction on my skin. Maybe the coating? I don't know!
The point is that the shave and end result was great but I would notice that reaction about 30 minutes
after shaving. It wasn't irritation because I had no stinging. It was more of a redness!
Anyways, The Personna's are coated too but they don't give me any reaction (this is why I was trying pure stainless blades with no coating). Also, they are definitely sharper which is a plus. They aren't Feather sharp (which leaves me feeling like an extra layer of skin gets removed) but definitely sharper than the GP's. And finally, they're super smooth!
They give everything that I need in a blade and they'll be what I use from now on.
A++
Glad you've found your perfect blade.

Top Bottom