What's new

For every blade there is a razor.....

But why are they all made in England?

For most of the last week, I've been shaving with one of the original (Black box) Rockwell blades in a #58 Gillette. No drama, effortless DFS+

Merkur blades seem to love an English Aristocrat Jr.

I may have to dig around for a VDH blade to try in my 500HD for the hat trick.

Yes the Gillette 7 o’clock Greens are great in my Edwin Jagger.... and Personnas are great performers in my ball end Techs. It’s just all about experimenting and finding out what works for you. Some get lucky and find a blade that works in all of their razors!

Yes the Gillette 7 o’clock Greens are great in my Edwin Jagger.... and Personnas are great performers in my ball end Techs. It’s just all about experimenting and finding out what works for you. Some get lucky and find a blade that works in all of their razors!

+1! Yep!!

For me, GSB and Astra SP are great blades in most any razor! :a29:

Other blades are much more picky.

Are weepers, cuts and nicks worth the expense of using ultra sharp razor blades? In my experience prep, and lather plays a big part in achieving a BBS, near BBS or DFS shave without having to resort to using the sharpest blades.

However, I use a wide variety of blades. Duller blades lend themselves to an increase in shaving stroke speed being more forgiving. My problem is remembering to slow down my shaving strokes when using sharper blades.

To overcome this problem, I've been experimenting with using baby and body lotions recently instead of soap or cream and I must say I have been enjoying the extra 'cushioning' against weepers, cuts and nicks they afford, without any irritation, whatever blade is used

My mother taught me that 'for every man on the planet there's a woman;' but, like razors its finding that "woman!"

Last edited:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Are weepers, cuts and nicks worth the expense of using ultra sharp razor blades? In my experience prep, and lather plays a big part in achieving a BBS, near BBS or DFS shave without having to resort to using the sharpest blades.

However, I use a wide variety of blades. Duller blades lend themselves to an increase in shaving stroke speed being more forgiving. My problem is remembering to slow down my shaving strokes when using sharper blades.

In my experience weepers come from technique, not equipment. The best way to produce weepers is to use too much pressure, the wrong razor angle, or both. But I agree that there are razors and blades that are less tolerant of poor technique.

I certainly would not use a blade that produced blood on a regular basis. There are so many blades out there, everyone can find one that works for them.

That was one of the many things that changed when I went to using vintage blades only and vintage razors, any blade worked equally well in any razor. If the blade is great, and all the ones I use are, it's great no matter what razor I put it in.

Top Bottom