What's new

For Dub Fans

I am looking for some good dub artists right now. I've been listening to Dubstep for a couple years now, and am getting into reggae a bit more these days. But, I need to find that happy medium of rich bass and texture without the pep and feel-good of a lot of reggae, and without the darkness of dubstep. Basically, just good music to pump through my house on days when I'm just reading, cleaning, and drinking coffee. Anyone have recommendations?

Top of my head, a few artists to check out:

Scientist
King Tubby
Jah Thomas
Lee Scratch Perry
Roots Radics
Almost anything featuring Sly & Robbie (AKA "The Riddim Twins")

Bill Laswell produces a lot of Dub-influenced music, and has done quite a few remixes of trad dub. Typically has a more modern "Laswell-y" sound. Jah Wobble is a frequent collaborator.

You won't go far wrong by checking out a few of the Trojan Dub collections. They'll present a lot of different artists, and give you a good idea of what you like.

Thanks for mentioning the Trojan Dub collections. I have, or had, a three cd set that was given to me at a party I attended with a friend who works for a radio station. They got set aside and forgotten about through the haze of alcohol and the ensuing hangover.

Thanks for the other recommendations as well.

Mostly reggae (roots) for me.
In the summer I like to listen to alot of Jawaiian Reggae.
More recently though, I have been listening to a reggae group from Southern California called Tribal Seeds and a local group from the DC/MD/VA area called Soldiers of Jah Army (SOJA)
Check'em out. Especially Tribal Seeds!

Lee Scratch perry
Mad professor
Trojan roots box - set. these have all served me well

Trojan chillout is also good.

I'll post a more comprehensive response later.. but for now, here a few of my favorite (and crucial) dub albums.

Aswad - A NEW CHAPTER OF DUB

Black Uhuru - THE DUB FACTOR

Scientist - MEETS THE SPACE INVADERS

Sly & Robbie - REGGAE GREATS (A DUB EXPERIENCE)

Augustus Pablo - KING TUBBY MEETS THE ROCKERS UPTOWN

Massive Attack vs. The Mad Professor - NO PROTECTION

Ben Wa - DEVIL DUB

MACRO DUB INFECTION VOL. 1 - Various Artists (amazing dub comp).

Top Bottom