What's new

for concealed carry, why do you carry something smaller than a 9mm?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Most rural community hospitals go under because they get bought out by big conglomerates, who then shut them down due to lack of enough profit for the shareholders.

You gotts dat right...happened close around here many times. A local (rich) Doctor bought the one that closed in the next county and opened it back up. Good on him.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
For a while I had a buddy in LE. I usually have a dark sense of humor, but I had nothing on him. After his third marriage we kind of drifted apart.

I have spent much time contemplating this subject matter. Longtime LE officer’s seem to gain a completely different mindset and thought process to the things and emotions most people call life.

Many of us, not only have trouble relating to others, but others have trouble relating to us. It’s a very puzzling thing. Especially when in person socializing becomes very awkward for no apparent reason?

People seem to become self conscious around us, because of what we do or have done and we then; become self conscious around them, because we can sense this obvious but mysterious tension from them and then immediately withdrawal within ourselves.

I’m not sure why this happens, but I have a working theory. The theory is almost like using the analogy of when a dog or wild animal, smells or senses fear on a person.

LE officer’s have a very heightened and acute sense of awareness. They utilize it so much in their everyday lives, that it sticks with them. They wear it thick, like a coat or self protective shield of sorts, where it actually enters a room of people before they do.

Cops are not aware that they do this; and the people they come across aren’t aware that this projection of their heightened sense of awareness is what they are picking up, but all they do know, Is it creeps them out and throws a wet blanket on any long term socializing.

Just a theory. :)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Yeah, guess you’d have to to protect your own sanity.

Yup...as you know...that's called gallows humor to retain your sanity.

The death isn’t bad, the family is. You immediately switch to taking care of the family instead of the deceased. Worst call ever, telling the FD to take the dead baby back to its crib because there was nothing I could do for a 6mo old that had been down for so long it had rigor. What was worse was having to tell the parents why we were doing what we were doing. That call almost ended my career.

Back to the original question, I carried a .45 all day yesterday because I was with my family out in crowds.

It's terrible when you get on scene and a baby is foaming out its mouth and nose. I'll never forget those.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Back to your regular scheduled program....

I carry less than 9mm just cuz I wanna. Ether because it's smaller and lighter, or nostaligia.

The Walter TPH .22 comes to mind, and the Colt Cobra .38, but the .38 is not that much below a 9mm.

The AMT .40 is pretty potent.

1667360839511.png

Sometimes I carry the Ortgies .32 that Dad brought back from WWII just cause. I don't feel unarmed with it.

1667360937227.png

Seems like now days if your pistol is not 9mm with the latest hot shot ammo, and doesn't have a red dot sight and co-witness irons, and a treaded barrel for some type of suppressor or something, and a rail for a laser or something. and a high cap magazine...it ain't worh having.

I got done following the fads years ago.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

I carry less than 9mm just cuz I wanna. Ether because it's smaller and lighter, or nostaligia.

The Walter TPH .22 comes to mind, and the Colt Cobra .38, but the .38 is not that much below a 9mm.

View attachment 1550088

Sometimes I carry the Ortgies .32 that Dad brought back from WWII just cause. I don't feel unarmed with it.

View attachment 1550089

Seems like now days if your pistol is not 9mm with the latest hot shot ammo, and doesn't have a red dot sight and co-witness irons, and a treaded barrel for some type of suppressor or something, and a rail for a laser or something. and a high cap magazine...it ain't worh having.

So which is more potent. .38 Special or .380 ACP? :)

View attachment 1550088

View attachment 1550089

Nice! I loved the TPH and the AMT 9mm, but I traded them off in The Great Consolidation.😜

Most rural community hospitals go under because they get bought out by big conglomerates, who then shut them down due to lack of enough profit for the shareholders.

Well in a few cases yes but mostly no. Ambitious but ill thought out expansion plans combined with negligent cost underestimates force some hospitals into bankruptcy. However, meaningful use imposed a set of unattainable treatment and reporting requirements on community hospitals. Play or don't get paid the Medicare reimbursements.

Large healthcare system buyouts were not the cause but the byproduct of poor financial management. Meaningful use and Obamacare caused the lionshare to go under and no larger healthcare system bought the facility, it didn't make financial sense to do so.

Last edited:
I would like to expand on my answer.

Caliber is one facet of a defensive carry firearm. Not the most important one either in my opinion. Reliability, proficiency, ease of use, and accuracy are all equally and more important than caliber. Reliability should be self-explanatory. Ease of use, when the firearm is difficult or unpleasant to shoot, or gets left behind because of carry difficulty, well that isn't good.

Accuracy, the ability to hit what needs hitting. The target is narrow and the costs of a miss extremely high. The effective target area is 2 inches wide and runs from the bridge of the nose to the mid-pelvic area. Hit anywhere on that strip and the threat will stop. Personally, I would rather go down shooting a caliber that won't over penetrate than hit an bystander with a hot high velocity load.

These factors all play into the decision on what to carry. A S&W Bodyguard 380 is the go to choice 95% of the time. Meets the criteria, is DAO which being an old revolver guy works for me. That front sight post works exceptionally well with my older eyes and btw, I lost part of my vision with covid and can still shoot the Bodyguard well. A j frame 38 is also a good choice, and the Sig P365 though I am concerned with over penetration with 9 mm.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Well in a few cases yes but mostly no. Ambitious but ill thought out expansion plans combined with negligent cost underestimates force some hospitals into bankruptcy. However, meaningful use imposed a set of unattainable treatment and reporting requirements on community hospitals. Play or don't get paid the Medicare reimbursements.

Large healthcare system buyouts were not the cause but the byproduct of poor financial management. Meaningful use and Obamacare caused the lionshare to go under and no larger healthcare system bought the facility, it didn't make financial sense to do so.
When the "Affordable (lol!) Healthcare Act" became law the bean counters had to get creative. I have worked with nurses that their whole job was going through nurses notes to teach us how to chart to back up the treatment the patient received. MIND NUMBING werk unless you enjoy sitting down. As an ADHD person I probably had my own RN going over my notes! Seriously, you don't want an audit from Medicare or Medicaid. A good MDS nurse is worth their weight in gold.

It's just sad that healthcare is indistinguishable from automotive manufacturing, ha!

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
The one that stopped the threat. :pipe:
I was always taught you shoot until you have stopped the threat. That doesn’t necessarily mean the person or persons are dead, you’re just no longer in immediate danger. A .45 to the femur will knock just about anybody not all hopped up on meth out of the fight long enough for me to skedaddle.

When the "Affordable (lol!) Healthcare Act" became law the bean counters had to get creative. I have worked with nurses that their whole job was going through nurses notes to teach us how to chart to back up the treatment the patient received. MIND NUMBING werk unless you enjoy sitting down. As an ADHD person I probably had my own RN going over my notes! Seriously, you don't want an audit from Medicare or Medicaid. A good MDS nurse is worth their weight in gold.

It's just sad that healthcare is indistinguishable from automotive manufacturing, ha!

Healthcare went south when MBA’s, instead of doctors, started running the hospitals. Electronic records would be a great thing if there was some interaction between the multiple companies that make the systems. If I get hurt in another state it would be great for the ED I’m in to pull up my records but nope, no way unless the two hospitals happen to use the same software and even then it’s not easy.

We may have just pulled off the ultimate thread hijack. Sorry to the OP and other readers.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I was always taught you shoot until you have stopped the threat. That doesn’t necessarily mean the person or persons are dead, you’re just no longer in immediate danger. A .45 to the femur will knock just about anybody not all hopped up on meth out of the fight long enough for me to skedaddle.

Healthcare went south when MBA’s, instead of doctors, started running the hospitals. Electronic records would be a great thing if there was some interaction between the multiple companies that make the systems. If I get hurt in another state it would be great for the ED I’m in to pull up my records but nope, no way unless the two hospitals happen to use the same software and even then it’s not easy.

We may have just pulled off the ultimate thread hijack. Sorry to the OP and other readers.
Haha! Perfect post. Years ago I said that we could save BILLIONS every year by forcing every insurance company to use the same form, and your idea would save just as much. Sad.

Shoot and move. First two don't work better get off the line and refocus on the cranial area.

The CFO, the person in the Charge Master role, and Director of Revenue Cycle can make or break a hospital. CMS audits are the worst, except maybe the take backs. Coding and supporting documentation are important. More so when the patient is a frequent flyer. Have to be able to show a documented baseline, treatment plan, and corresponding improvement. Worse case the patient goes to another hospital and all of the reimbursement for prior visits is reversed. Government intervention is pushing for socialized medicine and ruining our healthcare system in the process.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm SO glad that I've retired from the health care "system". The unfortunate thing is it is all going to crap as SWMBO and I may need it the most. The bean counters and the government have destroyed our health care. After decades of providing quality health care to ALL who needed it, despite insurance or lack thereof, we have recently seen a decline in the quality of healthcare despite technologic improvements in health care. It became where I was spending more time computer charting/documenting on inane data that only the bean counters cared about, not the physicians or other medical professionals, than actually taking care of my patients.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
So which is more potent. .38 Special or .380 ACP? :)

I report...you decide.

Muzzle velocity: 1200 fps
Muzzle energy: 288

.38 Special

Muzzle velocity: 1160
Muzzle energy: 472

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I think a 110 gr. .38 Spl. load would be a more equitable comparison to the 90 gr. .380 ACP. Both more likely to be used in light weight firearms that would be considered as an "either/or" comparison. I'm certainly not putting a 158 gr. .38 load in my Airweight J frame. But point well taken.

I have spent much time contemplating this subject matter. Longtime LE officer’s seem to gain a completely different mindset and thought process to the things and emotions most people call life.

Many of us, not only have trouble relating to others, but others have trouble relating to us. It’s a very puzzling thing. Especially when in person socializing becomes very awkward for no apparent reason?

People seem to become self conscious around us, because of what we do or have done and we then; become self conscious around them, because we can sense this obvious but mysterious tension from them and then immediately withdrawal within ourselves.

I’m not sure why this happens, but I have a working theory. The theory is almost like using the analogy of when a dog or wild animal, smells or senses fear on a person.

LE officer’s have a very heightened and acute sense of awareness. They utilize it so much in their everyday lives, that it sticks with them. They wear it thick, like a coat or self protective shield of sorts, where it actually enters a room of people before they do.

Cops are not aware that they do this; and the people they come across aren’t aware that this projection of their heightened sense of awareness is what they are picking up, but all they do know, Is it creeps them out and throws a wet blanket on any long term socializing.

Just a theory. :)

Sheepdogs tend to make sheep nervous.

Top Bottom