What's new

for concealed carry, why do you carry something smaller than a 9mm?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The gore wouldn’t bother me too much, it would be the death. Then, facing the family afterwards. It would be even worse when it is a child.

I have definitely seen a lot of that over the years. I wouldn’t say you get used to seeing it, but after the first half dozen or so, you learn how to harden your heart somewhat to protect yourself when you do see it.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have definitely seen a lot of that over the years. I wouldn’t say you get used to seeing it, but after the first half dozen or so, you learn how to harden your heart somewhat to protect yourself when you do see it.
Yeah, guess you’d have to to protect your own sanity.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
The gore wouldn’t bother me too much, it would be the death. Then, facing the family afterwards. It would be even worse when it is a child.
The death isn’t bad, the family is. You immediately switch to taking care of the family instead of the deceased. Worst call ever, telling the FD to take the dead baby back to its crib because there was nothing I could do for a 6mo old that had been down for so long it had rigor. What was worse was having to tell the parents why we were doing what we were doing. That call almost ended my career.

Back to the original question, I carried a .45 all day yesterday because I was with my family out in crowds.

OkieStubble

Yeah, guess you’d have to to protect your own sanity.

I received a very bad complaint on a few officers who were working the yellow police tape perimeter of a teenager who committed suicide by hanging.

One of the family members who was standing quite a bit away, overheard the officers joking with each other in a very crude way. Not about the specific incident at hand, but similarly in the same topic jurisdiction, where an unknowning family member could possibly construe it that way.

I perfectly understood why the family member was quite upset. But I also understood, why those young officers, most probably not 30 years of age yet, would joke in a manner that would protect their young minds from continuing to see the image of that teenager, every time they wanted to go to sleep for days or weeks to come.

It’s a delicate tight rope, for an incident commander to walk; between trying to make an innocent family member who just suffered a devastating loss to
understand, if those officers were all balling their eyes out, she would have thought that very unprofessional also; and they joke like that, to keep from balling their eyes out.

Then in the same breath, admonish a bunch of good young officers of finding another way to keep their minds and thoughts busy, without crushing their spirits at the same time.

I’ve had to tell many a new officer over the years, “pull your big girl panties up, this is the first, but is nowhere close to your last.”

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I received a very bad complaint on a few officers who were working the yellow police tape perimeter of a teenager who committed suicide by hanging.

One of the family members who was standing quite a bit away, overheard the officers joking with each other in a very crude way. Not about the specific incident at hand, but similarly in the same topic jurisdiction, where an unknowning family member could possibly construe it that way.

I perfectly understood why the family member was quite upset. But I also understood, why those young officers, most probably not 30 years of age yet, would joke in a manner that would protect their young minds from continuing to see the image of that teenager, every time they wanted to go to sleep for days or weeks to come.

It’s a delicate tight rope, for an incident commander to walk; between trying to make an innocent family member who just suffered a devastating loss to
understand, if those officers were all balling their eyes out, she would have thought that very unprofessional also; and they joke like that, to keep from balling their eyes out.

Then in the same breath, admonish a bunch of good young officers of finding another way to keep their minds and thoughts busy, without crushing their spirits at the same time.

I’ve had to tell many a new officer over the years, “pull your big girl panties up, this is the first, but is nowhere close to your last.”
Perfect post. You laugh so you don’t cry. When I started EMS I had friends, after about 5yrs I realized I still had friends but they were all EMS friends. The old friends didn’t want to hang out with me much anymore because of my sense of humor and overall attitude towards other people had changed so much. I’m willing to bet the LE is the same way.

OkieStubble

The death isn’t bad, the family is. You immediately switch to taking care of the family instead of the deceased. Worst call ever, telling the FD to take the dead baby back to its crib because there was nothing I could do for a 6mo old that had been down for so long it had rigor. What was worse was having to tell the parents why we were doing what we were doing. That call almost ended my career.

Back to the original question, I carried a .45 all day yesterday because I was with my family out in crowds.

Sounds crude I know, but the last thing we can say to a family member is the exact truth of the matter.

It is what it is.

OkieStubble

Perfect post. You laugh so you don’t cry. When I started EMS I had friends, after about 5yrs I realized I still had friends but they were all EMS friends. The old friends didn’t want to hang out with me much anymore because of my sense of humor and overall attitude towards other people had changed so much. I’m willing to bet the LE is the same way.
Omg I relate to this 100%.

I get lonely for the company of normal, non- ES people.

And they don’t want anything to do with you. Can you blame them?

Last edited:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
9mm pistols are available in a frame 6" long and 4" high. with a pistol that small, why go to a round that is smaller?

not bashing here, just curious. Me personally i'm reluctant to go to a 9mm, let alone .380 .32.25 0r .22
I keep a .38 revolver for home defense but have a .32 that I can easily carry in a front pocket if I feel the need - better than nothing. I live in a very low crime area now and haven't felt the need to carry anyway. The .38 is excellent for carrying snake shot when I' in the woods or fishing though. We have a lot more snakes than criminals.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Try working the ER on a Friday or Saturday night. Or when prisoners come in for treatment. Always keep your head on a swivel and your back to the wall. Never turn your back to a family member.
AMEN. Dang the HIPPA!

If you have good family you got all you need. Everything else is just an added blessing.

FarmerTan

It never got easy calling or facing family. It never became "just part of the job." Losing folks doing CPR hurt, especially AFTER the adrenaline rush goes away.

I was so blessed. Smells, visuals.....never bothered me. But if nurses have a kryptonite I'd have to say if was snot!

Never bothered me, maybe the smell of cleaning a tracheotomy patient, but not bad. But I had nurses that would beg me to do their trach patients, and they'd offer me anything, lol. I just did it; they always had my back. There is nothing quite like that smell. It's been years since I have done trach care, but I doubt I'll ever forget that smell. Weird.

Whaat? Fire sits around talking about how much hose they can carry, PD is fondling their guns, the nurses sit around all starry-eyed asking who carries the biggest gun or hose...all while EMS is takin' care of bidness!😜😎😄😄

FarmerTan

I ain't got friends except on here. Seriously. I have acquaintances in the real world. When I retired I quit being in the game.

I miss them, but until they retire I have nothing in common with them.
Omg I relate to this 100%.

I get lonely for the company of normal, non- ES people.

And they don’t want anything to do with you. Can you blame them?
Nope. I just thank God for the times I had with them. I have a feeling that I will reconnect with them when they retire.

FarmerTan

Whaat? Fire sits around talking about how much hose they can carry, PD is fondling their guns, the nurses sit around all starry-eyed asking who carries the biggest gun or hose...all while EMS is takin' care of bidness!😜😎😄😄
Each one of these professions tells a different version of this story. My werkin' hypothesis: we is all better liars than the worst fishermen!

OkieStubble

You get the double Bacon Award for a very accurate assessment. :)

Wouldn’t want folk thinking we actually work for a living! ;)

Top Bottom