What's new

for concealed carry, why do you carry something smaller than a 9mm?

9mm pistols are available in a frame 6" long and 4" high. with a pistol that small, why go to a round that is smaller?

not bashing here, just curious. Me personally i'm reluctant to go to a 9mm, let alone .380 .32.25 0r .22

I think it has to do with perceived recoil and control if you go lower. I prefer 9mm as well. And a compact single stack is easy to carry. some weaker shooters may have better control and accuracy with a .380 or .32.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
With improved defensive bullets, the disparity of calibers has lessened somewhat. Some opt for smaller guns that are easier to carry, some opt for guns that are easier to shoot well. The .380, .32 etc. that you will consistently carry trumps the 9mm or larger that you left in your vehicle or at home. You pays your money and you take your chances.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I have downsized and consolidated my platforms and calibers. Considerations made for all in the household means compromises. My wife has severe carpal tunnel and a .380 is as big as she can shoot reliably in a semi auto. So that's what we have in our wee little pocket guns.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
For me it’s all about perceived risk. If it’s just me running to the store or other errands, I have no issues carrying a .380. I’ve never been shot at, but have been on some callouts as a medic where there was active shooting involved. That’s close enough for me. The .380 is a “get outta my face gun” and that’s how I intend to use it. If someone starts shooting I’m heading the other direction.

If I’m out with my family or going somewhere and I perceive there to be a bigger threat such as a different part of town, big crowds, etc. then I’m carrying a 1911 in .45 or a S&W MPc in 9mm. I’m still not going to actively look to engage a shooter, but at least I have a little more firepower if I need to.

I’ll add that no matter what I’m carrying on my belt there is always a 9mm in the truck.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
^ This, exactly. However, the fallacy here is, as Col. Cooper so eloquently put it "You can't make an appointment for an emergency!" So, one might argue that it is self-deception to gauge "risk", but we all tend to do so and I'm just as guilty as any other. I mostly carry either a compact 9 mm or .38 Spl. But I'm evaluating an LSPMax in .380.

I carry what I can control. My mother has pretty bad arthritis, so what I can control will probably be changing over the years, but for now that means large calibers. 9mm loses a lot of its effectiveness coming out of a micro sized gun, but it’s still better than leaving something larger at home, as others have mentioned.
I would like to say what I would do or not do in a situation, but I can’t, but I do want to be prepared for it as much as I can. A Sig P365 in 40 S&W would be the top of my list.

Comfort I guess? I was a Police Officer and Police Chief for over 20 years. I live right outside the same small town that I worked in (pop. 3,000 people). I drew my gun about 10 times total over those years. Was shot at once during a pursuit with an out of towner. Never shot anyone or at anyone. I go to my little job now, church and then home. The days of toting around my full sized guns are over. My back is bad enough from carrying the duty belt all those years and sitting around in a car. A small S&W .38 and sometimes a speed strip in my pocket is enough.

If I lived in Atlanta or back home in Miami...and had a life...I may rethink my carry choices, but for now I'm happy hanging around my house in the country and staying away from cities and most people.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
^ This, exactly. However, the fallacy here is, as Col. Cooper so eloquently put it "You can't make an appointment for an emergency!" So, one might argue that it is self-deception to gauge "risk", but we all tend to do so and I'm just as guilty as any other. I mostly carry either a compact 9 mm or .38 Spl. But I'm evaluating an LSPMax in .380.
My idea of risk is based on my ability to extricate myself from a situation. If it’s a familiar place like the local grocery store and I know where all the exits are I feel pretty comfortable. As soon as I have someone other than myself to worry about like the wife, kids, a parent, etc. my risk level goes up. I still in a familiar place but now I’m watching out for others as well.

Last edited:
Would still carry a 38 snub nose if my hand would allow it. The 380 Bodyguard goes everywhere these days. Fits my clothes and likely risks. All I'm likely to need since I never needed a gun in nearly 60 years on this rock outside of home. Might have wanted one but never needed it. Awareness and sound judgement reduce risk greatly. Staying out of bars and away from people drinking lowers risk greatly. Attitude and willingness also cut things down a peg or two.

Going someplace unfamiliar or higher risk area then a Sig 365 goes with me.

I rarely carry something other than 9mm, but will occasionally carry my .32 or a .22LR.

Three rounds on target from a .32 is no less effective than three 9mm, and three rounds of .22 Quikshok is pretty much in the same ballpark.

"Wellbutwellbutwellbut, what if you only hit them once...?" That means they're running and ducking, which serves my purpose as well.

In this age, caliber is pretty much a non sequitur, untill you step up to .44Spl/.44Mag.

Hit what you aim for. More important than caliber by a long stretch. IIRC, all of Jelly Bryce's gunfights were with .38Spl (or possibly .32S&W?).

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Would still carry a 38 snub nose if my hand would allow it. The 380 Bodyguard goes everywhere these days. Fits my clothes and likely risks. All I'm likely to need since I never needed a gun in nearly 60 years on this rock outside of home. Might have wanted one but never needed it. Awareness and sound judgement reduce risk greatly. Staying out of bars and away from people drinking lowers risk greatly. Attitude and willingness also cut things down a peg or two.

Going someplace unfamiliar or higher risk area then a Sig 365 goes with me.
Every dicey situation I’ve been involved in was with a drunk white dude, and I’ve worked some dicey neighborhoods in Cleveland in my day. Most people will leave you alone if you leave them alone. The one exception appears to be drunks.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The only time I had to talk giant people out of hurting me I was unarmed. Psych nursing on the streets of a certain city that thought they were the only ones with lead in their drinking water made even non psych patients tough to be around.

Now I carry what I practice with..... 22LR.

Or my GP100 .357 in the winter. Only thing I've ever shot with .357 was a ground hog, and that was the shot of a lifetime. Right in the ear and I felt like I'd been to a Ted Nugent concert for about a half hour!

With improved defensive bullets, the disparity of calibers has lessened somewhat. Some opt for smaller guns that are easier to carry, some opt for guns that are easier to shoot well. The .380, .32 etc. that you will consistently carry trumps the 9mm or larger that you left in your vehicle or at home. You pays your money and you take your chances.
15-20 years ago that might make sense, but with the size of the Sig 938, and the LCPs you are very hard pressed to find a self defense gun that's not a novelty, I.E. derringers and belt guns

15-20 years ago that might make sense, but with the size of the Sig 938, and the LCPs you are very hard pressed to find a self defense gun that's not a novelty, I.E. derringers and belt guns
Snappy little bastiches if you have arthritis. I don't, and I have more than credible hand strength, but things change.

I will confess, a 20-40-odd yo with good health not carrying a reasonable caliber more often than not, is indeed lazy.

I carry an LCP, because I will carry it. A 1911 carry gun (I've tried that too) will be home in the safe too often. I also believe that if a bad guy is shot with a anything (big noise, lots of pain) they will not want to play any more. If not, you are going to need more than a handgun.

The only time I had to talk giant people out of hurting me I was unarmed. Psych nursing on the streets of a certain city that thought they were the only ones with lead in their drinking water made even non psych patients tough to be around.

Now I carry what I practice with..... 22LR.

Or my GP100 .357 in the winter. Only thing I've ever shot with .357 was a ground hog, and that was the shot of a lifetime. Right in the ear and I felt like I'd been to a Ted Nugent concert for about a half hour!

Curious, which 22 platform?

Top Bottom