What's new

For beginner: Paddle strop or hanging

Just trying to find a decent strop that's convenient. Isn't a paddle strop better because it can be made to lie flat?

I don't mind spending a little more if it will help me do the job easily.

Thanks.

I think for a beginner it's better to start with a paddle strop, you don't have to worry about the tension of the strop and you can focus only on doing the correct movements.

I got the hanging strop when I first started. No problems as long as I took my time. It is not a race you are going to so you don't have to hurry. The tip I read somewhere, either on this or another forum, was one second one way, another second the other. Slow and easy. Saves your strop too! Good luck and smooth shaves.

Mike

If you stay with this blood sport you will eventually want a hanging strop. If you keep it taught it is a simply a nice long paddle strop.

I just got a Rich Man's Strop from the folks at Whipped Dog and had no issues with a hanging strop. I stropped my razor tonight and it was the first time ever stropping a razor, take your time and it won't be a problem. Great service and a nice product from WD too!

get a butter knife, practice stropping on a belt, then a piece of wood
Pick the one you like best, both types will work equally well so either choice is fine.

I would prefer a 3 inch width to avoid having to X stroke.

i make my own from HandAmerica 12 x 6 leather glued to 3 x 12 x 1 hardwood both obtained from Woodcraft.

i keep separate strops for knives and razors. My knife strops show a lot of swarf buildup which I do not want on my razors. Razor equipment needs to be ultra clean.

my bench/paddle strops are pasted. I use unpasted hanging strops for daily stropping.

one possibility might be an Illinois hanging strop and a CrOx or 0.5 micron diamond pasted paddle for refreshing from the same source shown.

Last edited:
I started with a cheap board strop. That way I learned how to strop and if/when I nicked it I wasn't out a lot. I have switched over to a hanging strop now and have converted my board strop to a pasted leather strop. No waste.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
You could always lay a hanging strop down on a table or ironing board and have something akin to a paddle strop to play with before buying one.

In my opinion paddle strops are inferior in terms of performance. A hanging strop is more versatile, for example some of us strop with a little of bit slack. This can be effective for blades honed with taped spines.

I use paddle and bench strops pasted for refreshing edges. I used Unpasted linen/leather hanging strops for a while laying flat on my sink base top, but later switched to hanging the strop. When I learned to strop with no pressure (weight of razor only), I got better results and no strop nicks. Keeping the razor loose in my fingers combined with the ability of the hanging strop to twist slightly helped keep even contact pressure along and across the razor. Stropping at about 1 second per trip using about 10 - 12 inch long strokes helped me maintain control of the razor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom