What's new

For all Parker Semi Slant users out there: What is your blade of choice?

Hi there,
I got my first slanted razor a couple of weeks ago, the Parker 55SL aka Semi Slant. Wanted to try a slant for a long time, since many people prize them for being very efficient without feeling overly aggressive. That's my observation as well. In short I'm rapidly falling in love with this razor.
Now, in search for the "match made in heaven" blade for it. So far I tried:

Wilkinson Sword Classic (German)- good first shave, but feels a bit rough on the second and third shave.
King C. Gillette- nice balance between sharpness and smoothness, very expensive though.
Astra SP- pretty close to the KCG for the fraction of the price. A favorite so far.

So, for you Parker Semi Slant users , what is your blade of choice?

If you liked King C Gillette you will like Gillette Platinum Russian or the Indian ones.

Some say (unproven) that King C Gillette and Gillette Russian Platinum are the same blade.

The good site of slant razors it that they are tolerant with most blades, making even the worst "usable".

I have about 300 Supermax Stainless (not Super Stainless) that I bought soooo cheap about 8 years ago, can only shave with slant razors with pretty decent comfort and results. They are too rough in other razors.

Rapira Platinum Lux (Russia) and SuperMax Blue Diamond (India) are two less expensive platinum blades I enjoy in almost all my slants, including the Parker.

If you want to pep the Parker up a bit and don't mind a high priced blade, try a Kai. I find that I can get a lot of shaves out of a Kai in my Wunderbar. I haven't tried one in my Semi-slant, but I expect I would like it a lot.

Why 'semi'? It is not an extreme or double slant, but is right in the mainstream.

I just got mine, and my first two times I used a Perma-Sharp and was honestly slightly dissatisfied with the way it worked, I got more irritation than I usually get, but I got pretty close shaves both times. Today I used it for only the third time, but this time with a Feather, brand new, and I had an amazing BBS shave with no irritation at all just using the 2.5 pass system (two full passes, plus a clean-up pass for the chin and neck across the grain) that I've been using recently. So, I guess I'm gonna be using Feathers with it, I thought it was weird because Feathers are the sharpest blades and I didn't think that using a sharper blade would reduce irritation in this situation but I was definitely wrong to think that.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies gentlemen!

Next in line would be Gillette Platinum. It is a go-to blade for me, since it is available locally in physical stores at a very reasonable price. I also have Bic CPs, but I'm a bit hesitant to use it in this razor. Although quite smooth for its efficiency, the Semi Slant is still quite a bit more aggressive than, say DE89 or any Tech. Paired with the Bic it may get a bit too much.
I'm done with Feather. The prices have gone up so much, and providing that I only get two perfect shaves from them (three is possible, but the blade starts to feel dull), the cost sums up to something like 30 (Euro) cents per shave. Bics are sharper on the second shave and much sharper on the third, yet cost 4-5 times less.

Tonite's Parker Semi Slant was with a 2x Lord Platinum - Shave was nearly perfect. I did a left / right comparison with a Gillette New LC with a 3x GSB.
Results were close with a slight edge to the LC / GSB combo. But the Parker / Lord was about a 9.5 anyway

I just got one of the Parker semi-slants yesterday. I haven't tried it yet. Has anyone got an opinion about the Parker blades that come with the razor?

I get good performance from most all my blades, but the best with: GSB, Bic CP, Lord Platinum and Super Max Blue Diamond.
I have some Parker Blades. They are stainless steel with Chrome, Platinum and Ceramic, yet are still mediocre blades

I just got one of the Parker semi-slants yesterday. I haven't tried it yet. Has anyone got an opinion about the Parker blades that come with the razor?
Parker blades are Turkey Derby blades. Not so sharp but quite forgiving.

Not among my top ten best blades but I manage to get good shaves from them.

That's weird that Parker being an Indian brand wity so many excellent blades in their home country go and choose an mediocre (not the worst, nor among the best) Turkish factory to outsource their blade production.

Thanks for the replies everybody!
Since my initial post I've tried Gillette Platinum and Bic CP. The Gillette is a nice companion to the Semi Slant, not unlike other Russian blades from the same factory. The Bic felt too rough. Great close shaves, but I guess, it is a bit too sharp for this razor. I'll save this blade for my Techs.

Why 'semi'? It is not an extreme or double slant, but is right in the mainstream.
As you say, it is not extreme. I think the name is meant to reassure customers they are buying a razor that doesn't require any special technique, but has some of the advantages of slants.

Hi there,
I got my first slanted razor a couple of weeks ago, the Parker 55SL aka Semi Slant. Wanted to try a slant for a long time, since many people prize them for being very efficient without feeling overly aggressive. That's my observation as well. In short I'm rapidly falling in love with this razor.
Now, in search for the "match made in heaven" blade for it. So far I tried:

Wilkinson Sword Classic (German)- good first shave, but feels a bit rough on the second and third shave.
King C. Gillette- nice balance between sharpness and smoothness, very expensive though.
Astra SP- pretty close to the KCG for the fraction of the price. A favorite so far.

So, for you Parker Semi Slant users , what is your blade of choice?
Did you try the Parker Platinums that come with the razor? I assume you bought it new. I don't have a Semi-Slant, but have used Parker Platinums in my Parker 91R razor. Smooth, close, but a very "audible" blade, at least in my razor. Might likely be my first 100 blade purchase...

Top Bottom