What's new

For all my fellow travelers

To all of those who fly, has anybody taken their safety razor via carry on, particularly with blades? I am thinking it is a no go, but what about leaving one new blade in the razor. Current job requires some 2-3 day traveling. Razor, brush, 1 blade, shave stick, and travel after shave would be good if I can take at least one blade. Anybody have any experience.
To clarify I do not want to check a bag for 3 days travel if I have to fly.

I believe you won't be allowed to have the blade in the razor. What the odds are that the person looking at it is going to pull you up on it I don't know. If possible I'd try and look into a local place to buy a pack of blades where your staying etc.

Travis

I've dropped a single new blade in the mail to my hotel a few days ahead of travelling (in an envelope with a single stamp). Just let the hotel staff you're expecting a letter upon arrival and they're generally happy to hold it for you.

You can take the razor in your carry-on provided it is not loaded with a blade.
If you check a bag, then you can put some blades in it. If not, you'll have to mail a blade or two to your destination
or buy them after you arrive.

I've dropped a single new blade in the mail to my hotel a few days ahead of travelling (in an envelope with a single stamp). Just let the hotel staff you're expecting a letter upon arrival and they're generally happy to hold it for you.
Never know where I am staying until I get there though. Good idea for leisure travel, may use it for that!

You can take the razor in your carry-on provided it is not loaded with a blade.
If you check a bag, then you can put some blades in it. If not, you'll have to mail a blade or two to your destination
or buy them after you arrive.
Thank you for the signature BTW!

If I don't check luggage then I bring my razor with no blades in my carry on and find some blades when I arrive at my destination.
You might well get away with bringing a blade or two with the razor, but I don't think it's worth the risk of the long delay you will encounter if they are found. Usually I can find something at a local pharmacy, Barber Supply, or Art of Shaving Store. I'll bring an empty envelope and a couple stamps in case I want to mail home the extra blades that I don't use. I also bring a disposable razor or two in case I can't find blades.
I don't really understand why they consider a de blade to be so dangerous. I can sharpen up a few dozen #2 pencils to a fine point and bring those along with me no problem but a small flimsy de blade is unacceptable. I'd think the pencils would be a much more effective weapon myself. But I'll just follow the rules and leave them at home so that everyone feels safe.

Has anyone ever had problems with taking a razor without a blade? Domestic and International travel? I'd hate to have mine confiscated by an ignorant security guard....

I would not want to risk trying it. I had not looked up the rules and was pretty sure someone or few on here had experience in the matter. Next trip will be the Wilkinson Classic and no blades.

I traveled with both razor and blades in my carry on luggage for more than 6 trips before I was stopped. The TSA agent was quite sympathetic but told me that he had to confiscate the blades. He was mellow about it. I suppose his critical assessment was that a balding 60 year-old was not a tangible threat. We went on to have a very nice conversation about wet shaving.

The razor itself is not a problem. It is the blades.

I am not quite certain how they identify the blades which are just another small rectangular piece of metal in a sea of small pieces of metal. The razor itself is much easier to identify. I wonder if they have been taught to search luggage that have razors in them.

If you're travelling for business, just check your bag and get reimbursed for it. I always check a bag if it's anything other than an overnight trip.

But to answer your question, it'd be a risk. So if you have an inexpensive razor you wouldn't mind getting confiscated, you could try loading that razor and go about your business. They might not find it, but they might. And if they do, you'll be delayed. That's a risk for doing it that way. Personally, I don't want the hassle so I just throw in a few disposables and call it a day.

Trouble with blade-in-razor is that some know-nothing might want to confiscate the whole thing, rather than just the blade. Then the supervisor gets called, may or may not know about DEs, whole deal ends up taking 20 minutes, etc. Best to just take a twin blade disposable for a couple of days, or buy on landing. Be nice if there were some sort of trade kiosk: I buy (cheap) your confiscated blades, you get mine

If you don't want to possibly part with it, don't carry it on. There is no shame in using a disposable for a few days, this is the world we live in now and we have to make the best of it. It's not that bad actually. Proper prep, a brush and good lather go a very long way in getting a nice shave with a disposable.

Top Bottom