What's new

For all my B&B friends in Florida!

Man I don't know. I've always questioned that. Out of the tons of hurricanes I've been through, they mostly all have come in at night. I think it's coincidence but it's also strange!
Makes it worse especially if you lose power. We're getting pounded right now!
Thankfully the houses are built to withstand it but in the morning I'll step out to see
the aftermath. (Still have a few hours to go). Sometimes roof tiles fly off, Fence flies off, tree damage, car damage etc..
I'm surprised that I still have power & internet. I had the house built in 2018 so it's a new neighborhood where all the electricals are underground. I guess that actually works!
And these new houses are tight as a fridge. You can barely hear what's happening outside but when you look outside
It's scary, LOL!!
That's a good thing. I live in the Rocky Mountain west out in the country and we can get some wicked winds and dumps of snow with drifting and the worst always comes at night! I once walked outside after a not big snowstorm one night to find about 3'+ of fairly densely packed snow had drifted in front of the garage stranding us 15 miles from anything but a neighbor. Fortunately, he came by with a loader and got us squared away. I've since bought a snowblower for those times there's too much to shovel. We used to lose power a lot back some years ago but the power company has improved its rural services so outages are far less frequent. For us, no power means no water other than what we store for emergenices and refilling the toilets as we're on a well. Part of the reason we have a second home in town where things are far more calm!

Hope there's good news for you in the morning but the media is really going on about how bad Ian is.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
LRod,

I hope you continue to be fine for the next couple hours. It does look like Ian is right on top of you at the moment, at least, from the less than detailed National Hurricane Center map.

They keep changing how many more hours of rain we are going to get here. Last night, the rain was supposed to end Friday morning around 9AM... I just checked... they are saying it should end at 7PM tonight. I hope that means Ian is speeding up and will get on out of Florida sooner than later...... and cause even less damage in the neighboring states.

I am hearing some reports. They are worried abour many deaths in Lee and Collier county. To early to know. A section of the bridge to Saniibel island was washed out. The people who didn't evacute are stranded on Sanibel and Captiva island. Many people lost their homes.

those reports still unconfirmed, hopefully will be spurious. gov commented that the number might have been calls into 911 for water in houses. praying for those who chose to remain in ft meyers/sarasota beach areas.

here are clouds in palm beach county receding this thursday morning; breezy and cool this morning; our area was really fortunate.

Well I've done my assessment here and we personally came out OK. I don't know how since my house was directly hit as Category 1. I just woke up after sleeping a couple of hours. My house (and neighbors houses) have power and are relatively intact. Even my fence survived!
No flooding in the neighborhood either!
We have another new community that's a couple miles away and I received some reports that they flooded to the point that the houses are under water. It's bad!
I can't stress how fortunate we are!

Well I've done my assessment here and we personally came out OK. I don't know how since my house was directly hit as Category 1. I just woke up after sleeping a couple of hours. My house (and neighbors houses) have power and are relatively intact. Even my fence survived!
We have another new community that's a couple miles away and I received some reports that they flooded to the point that the houses are under water. It's bad!

glad you're ok!

ian will be a real test of post-andrew building codes, particularly for wind damage.
as well as test of other measures over past decade...resiliency of power/phone grids, gen back-ups to gas stations and food stores, etc.

hard to prevent surge damage, other than stilts and more care in plot layout.
one thing our community found, however, was subsequent upgrading storm drains and monitoring before/after storm to prevent blockages.

now we can all expect insurance premiums to rise even more!

Great news. A lot of people underestimate the power of a cat 1 hurricane.
Hurricane Katrina hit my house as a cat 1. It came up so fast that no one got shutters up. I remember the wind causing my windows to bow inward.

So very glad to hear you're OK. It's very different for people who don't live with threats of major weather, crime, etc. to truly understand how these things effect those who do. I imagine untold thousands are dealing with a different day than you and it truly is unimaginable for those of us who woke up to a normal Thursday.

Great news. A lot of people underestimate the power of a cat 1 hurricane.
Hurricane Katrina hit my house as a cat 1. It came up so fast that no one got shutters up. I remember the wind causing my windows to bow inward.
Yep, they're bad no matter the category. Apparently where I'm at, the sustained winds were about 70-90 mph. and the gusts were above 100 mph. Another issue with lower category hurricanes and even tropical storms is the amount of water it dumps. It's crazy!
This one was not only wet but destructive with heavy winds. The pictures and videos coming in from the west coast are heartbreaking. This one will go down in history as one of the worst that Florida has ever had.

So very glad to hear you're OK. It's very different for people who don't live with threats of major weather, crime, etc. to truly understand how these things effect those who do. I imagine untold thousands are dealing with a different day than you and it truly is unimaginable for those of us who woke up to a normal Thursday.
Yep! I'm very fortunate. The west coast is devastated.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Here in Gainesville, we only had 20MPH sustained winds.. and oddly... very little rain. I, too, can't imagine what those on the gulf coast are experiencing today.. so much total devastation.

Here in Gainesville, we only had 20MPH sustained winds.. and oddly... very little rain. I, too, can't imagine what those on the gulf coast are experiencing today.. so much total devastation.
Luckily you were on the clean side of the storm and it didn't extend out that far. Luckily North Florida and most in South Florida dodged a bullet!

Top Bottom