What's new

For a Mild Shaver , Have you found better than Feather AS-D2 ?

I'm still trying to gauge mild in solely de realm, handle and head verses others. Because honestly,a well maintained Braun series 7 is milder than all de to me... But that also entails two shaves a day, and still at something less than what I've come to appreciate as a damn fine shave in the safety razor world. Working on it though, but I am yet an egg.

Don't know yet. Have been using a TECH triangular slot along with other vintage Gillettes. I find the TECH as most people think of it; a mild but effective shaver. I just received a Feather AS-D2 and it will be my tomorrow morning shave. A one blade test will not be a definitive test, but it's a start!

When I had the ASD2, my prewar Tech with a heavier handle was more efficient. It took more pass with the ASD2 to reach the same results.

The ASD2 is worth every penny, it's a well made razor. It was too mild for me.

Wilkinson Sticky is quite nice.

I don't have a Pils but I hear they are too.

I did a comparison of the Feather (AS D1) and Pils a few years ago; the Feather was milder and the Pils required more refined technique. Both are excellent in their own way and I still use the Pils more often than the Feather. I shave every day and wouldn't choose either for a multi-day stubble.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/264742-Shave-Off-Pils-vs-Feather?highlight=pils+feather

For a Mild Shaver , Have you found better than Feather AS-D2 ?

Nope.

OneBlade
Ikon 101
Ikon 102
Post-war tech
ATT M1
ATT S1
MTO

AS-D2 is the one for me.

So much so I bought a second one (well an AS-D2 w/stand for the stand, I'm giving the razor to a buddy), and sold/gave away the bulk of the rest.

If you are up for some experimenting, try taking your favorite NEW and changing the cap with one from a Tech.
You can dial in the shave by choosing from the spectrum of late 1930s thru post WWII Tech caps.
Later ones in general are milder from my experience.

Have fun.

My fat Tech and custom-gap Wolfman round out my Mild Trifecta.
[MENTION=87442]Cksnffr[/MENTION]... I used a stock AS-D2 as my daily driver for some time. Then, in an effort to increase the level of efficiency a little, I paired it with a (heavier) Maggard MR5 handle, and then started to use a shim as well. I have a Wolfman SB-1 on order (and James tells me that it won't be long now). I'm wondering what customized gap you went for, and how you would compare the shave (efficiency and comfort) to the AS-D2.

[MENTION=87442]Cksnffr[/MENTION]... I used a stock AS-D2 as my daily driver for some time. Then, in an effort to increase the level of efficiency a little, I paired it with a (heavier) Maggard MR5 handle, and then started to use a shim as well. I have a Wolfman SB-1 on order (and James tells me that it won't be long now). I'm wondering what customized gap you went for, and how you would compare the shave (efficiency and comfort) to the AS-D2.

I don't know the actual dimensions--James said I could get the OC head in "gentle or extra gentle" (might have been "mild" or something like that)--so I went with extra.

I was going for an OC AS-D2 and I got it. :)

Top Bottom